Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Chrome Engine Cover Bolt and Dipstick Mod

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chrome Engine Cover Bolt and DipStick Mod

Chrome don't get you home, but it sure looks good! I wanted something nicer for my engine cover and my dipstick. From the local Pep Boys, I purchased the engine cover bolts sold for Chevy's ($10 ea.) that have black Orings, and are made to go on top of a 1/4-20 thread. They have a female thread. I also purchased the same style dipstick, one they sell for Chevy S/B, not B/B.

Chrome Engine Cover Bolts:

1. I had to drill out the original threads to convert to Metric threads. I placed the knobs (1 at a time of course) in a benchvise, with cloth wrapped around it to minimize scratches. Yes. it was difficult to get exact 90 degree with a round object and no flat top, it is pointed. Do your best, and it will still be fine when you put it on.

2. Using a hand drill, I drilled 5/16" holes for the 3/8-16 tap needed for the special inserts I bought.

3. I tapped the 3/8-16 thread

4. I installed the special inserts. 3/8-16 External x 6mm Internal.

5. I installed the setscrews, 6mm x 35mm

Comments: I purchased the special insert from McMaster Carr that is 3/6-16 outside thread (IIRC) and 6mm internal thread. (all part numbers will be provided soon). The inserts is similiar to a Helicoil, but is a solid piece, not like a spring.

I bought some 6mm x 35mm setscrews, and used Red LocTite to keep them secure. I placed the Hex hole inside the Knob, so a smooth tip would go into the hole in the engine cover steel bracket, as you'll see in the pics.

I threw away the O-rings, I didn't like the poor quality and appearance of them. Just another idea for you to consider.

Chrome Dipstick:

1. Buy the one for Chevy S/B, not B/B, and remove the rubber liner inside the knob of the new dipstick.

2. Carefully line up the old dipstick and new dipstick. Consider exactly how far the dipstick tube fits inside the knob.

3. Now mark with a magic marker, transfer the FULL MARK onto the new dipstick. It will be about a 1/2" above the end of the new dipstick's tip.

4. Using a Center Punch, punch the mark; then with a Drill and an 1/8" drill bit, drill a good indentation to mark the FULL MARK.

5. The tip happened to work out to be even with the original's 1/2 Quart Low Mark. Keep the oil on the stick, and you'll never be more than a 1/2 Quart low!

UPDATE: Here are some part numbers to help you locate these at your local parts store.

Don't want to spend 70 bucks on an AEM or NISMO Billet Oil Cap? Check out the one below. (I'll try to get a pic up on Thursday night):

SPECTRE
Billet O-Ring Air Cleaner Nut, 1/4-20 Female Thread P/N 17585 $4.99 ea.

Billet O-Ring Dipstick, Oil Pan Chevy BB '65-'79 P/N 57205 $14.99 ea. Get the SB version for aout 8 bucks. They are exact same length dipstick.

NETAMI

Billet Oil Cap for Honda P/N 31-0896 $19.99

You now have a Chrome DipStick to match your Chrome Engine Cover Bolts! Enjoy!

I've added photo's of the head of the dipstick, and the important end.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A few more pics:

Attachments

·
Registered
21,015 Posts
No. Paint. High heat paint. It's an engine bay. High heat paint or engine enamel. Pick which works for you.

·
Registered
21,015 Posts
He's on here still, so he'll respond when he can. I don't know. But that is custom, not a kit.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yeah I see but why so much work for no hp at wheels. To much time on hand it seems. Im looking for a way to get more hp/speed out of my titan. Have just about all bolt ons my top speed right now is 166mph. Here is a pic of cruising speed 1385874111855.jpg

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
21,015 Posts
Well a painted engine cover and someone elses intake won't get you any further. I would search around the forum, maybe start a thread with your mods, and see what others think. This is a rather old thread, so good luck getting any help by posting in here.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts

·
Registered
21,015 Posts
Did Khip mention SLOW DOWN? Both in the truck, and posting all over the place. Get your thoughts all in one place.

·
Registered
21,015 Posts
Well that is great, but are your tires rated to go that fast? You do realize the Titan has rear end problems, right? What are you going to do if either blows out at 166? 200 in a Titan is silly, even in perfect weather in a straight line. But good luck to you.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Well that is great, but are your tires rated to go that fast? You do realize the Titan has rear end problems, right? What are you going to do if either blows out at 166? 200 in a Titan is silly, even in perfect weather in a straight line. But good luck to you.
x2! I've had mine at around 100 on the street, it sounded like a jet, I remembered I was in a pickup, and haven't done it again. Nuff said

·
Registered
21,015 Posts
They are known to blow rear axle seals, they have had radiators blow out, etc. There is actually a bunch of problems that 166mph will not help at all.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Not really what kind of problems with rear end. I've had this truck since 06 and the only problem I've had is manifolds. Now have headers no cats tru tru duals with 24" Magna flows

On nothing just the pressure relief valve fails causing your seals to blow. Oh and one SLIGHT issue with a pin sliding out of I believe the pinion? Which at that speed could send you outta here permanently. You should be fine though...

1 - 20 of 40 Posts