Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
when i painted my front bumper nearly 2 years ago, i used a DA sander on the front bumper. I hit it with some 120 grit paper, then 220,400,1000. I used the 120grit until all the shiny-ness was off the bumper and it looked almost like brushed aluminum. I used satin black BBQ/High Heat paint(i figured its gotta be tuff stuff to hold up to temps like that). I hit it with an automotive primer first to help it adhere.

For the grille, i used just 400grit paper by hands and took the shine away(same as the bumper) then used the same primer and paint.

If i were to do it over again, i would lay on an extra coat of primer and a few extra coats of paint just for good measure. I also found out that they sell matte clear coat so i will be using that when i redo my bumper next month.

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
when i painted my front bumper nearly 2 years ago, i used a DA sander on the front bumper. I hit it with some 120 grit paper, then 220,400,1000. I used the 120grit until all the shiny-ness was off the bumper and it looked almost like brushed aluminum. I used satin black BBQ/High Heat paint(i figured its gotta be tuff stuff to hold up to temps like that). I hit it with an automotive primer first to help it adhere.

For the grille, i used just 400grit paper by hands and took the shine away(same as the bumper) then used the same primer and paint.

If i were to do it over again, i would lay on an extra coat of primer and a few extra coats of paint just for good measure. I also found out that they sell matte clear coat so i will be using that when i redo my bumper next month.
thanks man, i was thinkin that threat was a lost cause

1 - 3 of 3 Posts