Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to crank it up last week Thursday to move it around in the driveway before I took off in my other car for the weekend and what I got was definitely not good. It started up instantly but make the most aweful clanking valve cluttering sound you ever heard (tap tap tap) and there was a cloud of blue smoke behind me when I shut it off and got out thinking WTF? I tried cranking it again and it sounded as if the engine was locked since all I could hear was the starter whinning but not the belts turning. Then after the 2nd try it started but ran extremely rough but the blue smoke was gone and I ran it long enough so I could get my car out of the garage for my weekend trip. I returned late last night and tried starting it....it started fine and is not apparently acting like nothing was ever wrong. I drove it around the block gently and all seems good. So what gives?

btw...this is a 2006 4x2 with 14,000 miles with regular maintenance and no mechanical issues before. I checked the oil level and all looks good. I would like some feed back before I go to the dealer and they tell me they can't find anything. Does the computer store codes, etc? No "warning" lights ever came on when the engine was running rough.

·
Super Moderator
159,751 Posts
I don't know what gives, but.... I know that I'd have that bad boy in to the dealer ASAP, just so they'd have a record of the incident if nothing else. good luck.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Sounds like my lawnmower after sitting all winter. Had to clean out the ball jet on the carb.. Sorry that's all I could think of because that explains my push mower perfectly. Keep us posted

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah....your lawnmower sounds like my truck did. I do let it sit for 2~3 weeks at a time while I drive my other car sometimes only cranking it up to reposition it in the driveway for a quick minute so I am wondering if the short cranks and long periods of sitting has got something to do with it. I am just hoping the computer has some sort of record that will tell the dealer what happened as I have the truck paid for and plan to keep it a very long time so I want something like this documented big time incase I need a new engine later on.

Would it be unreasonable to ask the dealer to allow me to see the oil change to see if there are any parts draining out?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
truck is at the dealer today. It ran perfect like it always has and after about 20 miles and almost to the dealer I decided to hot-rod it a bit and it had no problems with power, etc. I read this report the other day and wonder if this possibly happened to me here in Florida although I have not left the Miami area in my truck so maybe it is going on here in Miami also???

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ALBANY, Ga. — Seven Atlanta-area Shell gas stations that sold ethanol-enhanced gasoline were forced to close over the weekend after officials found water in their underground storage tanks.

“Best case scenario, if you have water in your tank, it will cause your car to run rough,” Georgia Agriculture Commissioner Tommy Irvin said to the Albany (Ga.) Herald. “Worse case scenario, it will cause your car to stop.”

Water that seeps into underground tanks typically sinks to the bottom, but in an ethanol blend, it flows throughout the mixture, Irvin said to the Herald.

Georgia permits as much as an inch of water in regular underground tanks, but tanks of fuel blended with ethanol may have none, said Rich Lewis, director of fuel and measures for the Georgia Department of Agriculture, to the Albany Herald. “We don’t allow there to be any water in the (ethanol) storage tanks,” he said.

There may be more lockdowns to come because 277 Atlanta-area Shell stations offer the ethanol blend, said Yao Seidu, spokesman for the commissioner’s office. Underground tanks must be emptied and dried out before the ethanol blend is introduced and the pump must be labeled.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well....got the truck back yesterday. All runs perfect as usual and as if nothing ever happened. They said there were no codes which I find very hard to believe after how bad it was running for those 30 secs with blue smoke everywhere and all that clanking of the valves. I am just happy that it is running good and strong with no problems and hope it continues this way.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah....all I can guess that it was bad gas or water in the fuel as I have driven it well over 200 miles this past week and not a hint of problems with a couple redline's here and there. I am amazed that there is no hint of anything wrong with the truck and runs strong as usual. Thank God....did not want to have to go through a messy warranty repair like this at all.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Blue smoke on startup is likely from oil leaking past the valve stem seals which can and will occur if the engine sits for a long period of time. Clanking on startup is from the valve train lacking lube due to it leaking past the valve stems seals, then you have to wait for the oil pump to pump new oil up to the top end end, which of course is the last place fresh oil reaches on startup. This all results in increased valve train wear, and if the cycle of infrequent starts continues, the stem seals will leak even worse, carbon deposits will build in the combustion chambers and increased valve train wear will ensue. So basically start the truck and drive it more often.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I dunno how you guys are gonna take this coming from a guy with 3 posts, but I believe that blue smoke is typically caused by oil burning in the cylinder, or the engine running too rich.

It sounds very similar to an issue that FX45 owners have been reporting for several years (have also heard similar for Q45) . Most of the speculation has centered around carbon deposits or over-filled oil. The only somewhat common symptoms were that the cars were started and moved for only a short time, for example. moved in and out of a garage to the driveway to wash, and many of the owners who experienced this issue reported higher-than-normal oil consumption.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Blue smoke that only occurs on startup is the valve stem seals 99% of the time. As I mentioned, while it sits, the only thing preventing oil from gain enterance into the combustion chamber is the stem seals. Our engines have 32 stem seals, so lots of places for oil to enter the engine. The stem seals can't completely prevent oil from "slidding by", when it sits for days to weeks gravity will eventually pull it past the seal. Engines that sit for periods of time also seem to suffer from stem seal failure more often than daily driven engines. With my Supra turbo i'm lucky to get a year out of a set of stem seals, but it sits for longer periods of time then it should. If it blows blue smoke at startup after only sitting for a day or two, you need to replace the valve stem seals, its a major PITA, espcially with a 32 valver. Bad stem seals likely won't wreck the engine, but you will have higher then avg. oil consumption, nasty carbon deposits in the effected cylinders(valves and piston top) and could mess with the emissions equipment. If the stem seals are bad the engine will also pull oil into the combustion chamber when negative vacum is present in the engine, like when you engine brake, blue smoke of course will come out of the tail pipe. Thats a good way to test them, have someone follow you and watch your tailpipe for blue smoke when you go into engine braking.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Blue smoke that only occurs on startup is the valve stem seals 99% of the time. As I mentioned, while it sits, the only thing preventing oil from gain enterance into the combustion chamber is the stem seals. ... Bad stem seals likely won't wreck the engine, but you will have higher then avg. oil consumption, nasty carbon deposits in the effected cylinders(valves and piston top) and could mess with the emissions equipment. If the stem seals are bad the engine will also pull oil into the combustion chamber when negative vacum is present in the engine, like when you engine brake, blue smoke of course will come out of the tail pipe. Thats a good way to test them, have someone follow you and watch your tailpipe for blue smoke when you go into engine braking.
Re-viving this thread... 2008 Titan 2wd, 93k . 2nd owner. 2 seemingly related issues

#1. I've got the start up blast of blue gray smoke (size of my old Nissan hardbody) smoke is gone after engine runs for 15 to 30 seconds.... blah blah. Smoke blast is probably 4 of 5 startups. The 5th there will be absolutely no smoke. Seems very much like valve seal at the worst. Perhaps at best a vacuum line *(PCV valves etc) bleeding oil into intake. So, I replaced PCV valves (gummy) and new hoses for em (the old hoses were full of oil). Replaced valve cover breather hoses (though no oil in em).

No improvement.

#2. Loud, continuous valve wacka wacka wacka that accelerates with engine rpm. Clearly from drivers side engine head. Engine runs strong... gas mileage is fine (14 to 20 miles with lots of highway miles). However, burn 1 qt of oil every 800 miles.

Dealership tech said new engine. valve issue. Used engine drop-in is less than rebuilding top end of 90k engine.

I'm thinkin drive it till it shoots metal through the plastic valve cover... walk the 80 miles home and then drop engine in it after the highway bandits strip it and vandalize it when it takes me 2 days to get it back home....rough.

OR

do I taek my tax return and get my excellent independant garage (however they have no experience working on these Titans) to go ahead and tear open the top and figure it out... seal slipped?? whatever?? while they are installing my BRAND NEW headers?

well. what cha'll think

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Do a compression test on all 8 cylinders and go from there. If the compression is well above the minimum and close to the factory spec then see about Jim Wolf cams and and head job on both sides. Good time to install a new set of timing chains. If your the original owner you know how you have kept the oil changed and if you go used you never know.

These engines are stout and don't have too many issues unless they haven't been maintained. one of my subs bought a very well used 2004 Titan in 2008. Summer of 2011 the engine seized up and he was pissed. He says the engine was bone dry, had no oil in it. Turns out in the 3 years he own the truck he put 150K miles on it and never changed the oil. He said the dealer told him it had synthetic oil in and it would last forever. The truck had over 300K miles on it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
yup compression test is next. thx for reminder to get on it!

Sound advice re cams and chain, might as well punch it up if its open...

Your buddies story bout "endless" synthetic oil is hilarious!!!! Guess all they forgot was to weld the hood shut.:bangit:

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
True story!! I have known this guy for about 8 years and seen in him in at least 4 different vehicles.

Anyways he did a engine swap, used engine and labor was $3500

1 - 18 of 18 Posts