Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm confused. I know the Titans w/ BT package have a Class IV hitch.

I bought a truck used, and it does not have the BT package. However, I own a small utility trailer, and this weekend I had a need to haul about 1,600 lbs of dirt on it a few miles down the road. I instead up using my poor, poor 1997 maxima to do it (my truck has no hitch!), and it was squatting like an SOB.

I'll probably never need more than a Class III, but I want whatever hitch the BT trucks have anyway, no kill like overkill I suppose.

Now, am I understanding that those class III hitches you see on the net for our trucks are just as strong as the dealer hitch and Class III vs IV is only a matter of whether or not you purchase a WD hitch with it?

OEM hitches don't have WD hitches, do they?

I'm confused - what I was looking for was a website that says "Nissan Titan Class IV hitch" but they all say class III.

Honestly, I'm probably going to go buy the kit from the dealer anyway since it has the relays and all, but I'm just curious and doing my research at this point trying to understand the differences.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I got the OEM hitch from my dealer for $220 and it included the necessary relays. It states on the hitch max trailer weight of 10,000lbs which should equate to Class4. I paid my regular mechanic $25 to bolt it up and throw in the relays though I easily could have done it myself,with another pair of hands.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
baseballfanz said:
A class 3 is rated 5000 lbs max, a non BT Titan (LE or SE) has a towing capacity of over 5000 lbs. You should get a class 4 hitch IMO.
For example:

LINK

They all say 6K max or 10K w/ WD.

Is a WD hitch something that goes on the trailer I'm towing, or is that something that goes on my actual truck?

If I'm understanding correctly, a WD hitch has springs that help fight the tongue of the trailer from pulling the rear of the vehicle into a squat from the load, right? So the hitch on my truck would be the same, and the amount I could tow would depend on whether I was using WD equipment?

·
Registered
978 Posts
if that is the most you'll be towing, you could just buy a ball and bolt it to your bumper and save yourself $200.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Local dealer price for the oem hitch kit is $229 + tax. ball and ball mount not included.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
ZeroPt99 said:
Local dealer price for the oem hitch kit is $229 + tax. ball and ball mount not included.
yeah thats what my dealer charged but at least they included the relays, which i have heard are quite expensive

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
albonismo said:
yeah thats what my dealer charged but at least they included the relays, which i have heard are quite expensive
Exactly. The internet parts manager reminded me that the relays and wiring adaptor would likely not be factored into internet retailer pricing online.

Then again I knew that from reading here - most people seem to agree that by the time you buy the relays and wiring adaptor and pay for shipping, you really aren't any cheaper.

Plus the dealer said they keep that kit in stock, so I wouldn't have to wait.

·
Registered
33 Posts
wait, im still confused. so if i have a class 3 hitch, i can tow 5000 pounds? but if i add a WD ball mount class 4, i can tow 9500 pounds?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I thiiiink so.

·
Registered
978 Posts
bigpic87 said:
wait, im still confused. so if i have a class 3 hitch, i can tow 5000 pounds? but if i add a WD ball mount class 4, i can tow 9500 pounds?
....along with the big tow gearing, 7500 if you don't.

·
Registered
781 Posts
1600 #s just put a ball to your bumper if you didn't want to spend the money.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
TAFOYA'STITAN said:
1600 #s just put a ball to your bumper if you didn't want to spend the money.
yeah he's right. the bumper itself is a class III hitch that can tow up to 5k. if you're doing some serious towing, then get the class IV or III hitch, they're both the same equipment...including the weight distributing ball mount ($$$$).

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
To sum:

Class 3 hitch: 5000 pounds
Ball on bumper: 5000 pounds
Class 4 hitch on non big tow: 7500 pounds
Class 4 hitch with big tow: 9500 pounds

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
Should we have a "Sticky" on this?
Need a hitch? Just quit goofing around and get the Nissan Factory Class 4 hitch w/ relays and bolts..
Done!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts