Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently do not have a need for the big tow package and I really do not want to spend the money for I something I may never use. But, I want to keep my options open because I am considering buying a boat or camper in a year or two.

I know a class III hitch would be ease to install, how difficult would a class IV hitch be to install?

Any idea on cost?

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Titanic_04 said:
I currently do not have a need for the big tow package and I really do not want to spend the money for I something I may never use. But, I want to keep my options open because I am considering buying a boat or camper in a year or two.

I know a class III hitch would be ease to install, how difficult would a class IV hitch be to install?

Any idea on cost?

should not be any harder to install, and should cost about 300-500 depending on where you buy. if it was me i would pay the 500 and get the big tow package installed from the dealer. you get a lot of features for that price and its not much more. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
I researched the 'Towing' Q quite a bit before buying our truck. Knowing that we intended to get a Travel Trailer that will be pushing the 6-7kpds range, we knew we had to go class IV.

That said, when we looked into the Packages, the Big Tow Pkg was a must. The Class IV hitches run quite a bit more than the Class III's do as there is less of a market for them. A lot of people who tow stay under 5kpds.

Hitch cost alone varies by $200-$400 more than the Class III...then the Stabilizers etc run your even more.

THe Big tow Pkg also integrated the Temp Gauge etc which for me is a great piece of mind.

Will a Class IV be hard to install? Probably no harder than any other hitch.

If your not sure if you will ever use it...There are plenty of boats and campers out there less than 5k pds that you could use a Class III setup for.

Chris

·
Registered
202 Posts
You also get the VDC and the 3.36 gear ratio. Many people get the option for those items and don't even plan to tow.

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Class IV hitches can run anywhere from $350-$600 depending on where you get it etc and if it has to be shipped (They are not light!).

Then you have to add the stuff that doesn't come with the big tow if your hauling something large...

Brake Controller, Anti-Sway, The tongue and ball etc etc etc LOL

And I agree on the VDC and Gear change as well...these two items make life much simpler if your towing anything thats heavy or a big windsail like a Travel Trailer.

Chris

·
Registered
266 Posts
Ok ok ok, so maybe I'm a bit ignorant about all of this, but all I *NEED* if I wanted to tow something that weighed 7500 lbs would be the ball and insert into the reciever, correct? This is assuming I have the big tow package.

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Tongue and Ball are the only two 'need' items. But, if your towing a commerical item (i.e. U-haul trailer or the like) they are pretty much going to insist you put on a sway kit minimum or hit you with that lovely $XXX insurance per day.

When it comes to the sway, brake controller and all that...it definately is a safety issue. I know quite a few people with boats and desert haulers and even they insist on using this stuff because it works. Can't tell you how many times I have seen someone cut off a tower OR a tower having to swerve during a lane change because someone tried to beat them out.

Chris

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
There's other stuff you'll need too. You need a pin to hold the ball mount to the hitch and you may need a "round to flat" adapter depending on how your trailer is wired. And you might want to get other ball sizes in case you buddy lets you pull one of his toys on the weekend. It wouldn't hurt to get some ball grease and a plastic ball cover to keep dirt off of the ball. You see....there's no end to buying all this stuff. Of course some people don't buy this stuff and that's why they sell a pin that has a lock on it. And that, of course, is more money too! :jester:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts