Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i went off roading and showed them Chevy and Ford boys including one or two Dodges how its done...

well in the process my T got filthy... and i mean FILTHY... once again i showed them how its done...

i already washed it very gently and went to a wash for a light pressure wash again after... well seems as though i cannot get the sand outta the windows (electric windows... you can hear the grinding when rolling them down or up) and that ive got light scuffing/scratches on the sides of the car from the dirt... now for you black T owners you know how much that pops out... wondering how you guys clean and wax your T to make it looks new again..

i know there are products for black cars...

recommendations..

tips....

suggestions....

HELP!

and i know this question is asked over and over but im really looking for those black T owners or the people who know this stuff like the back of their hand...though i really really really do appreciate help from anyone.

also i do own an orbital buffer tips on using it to prevent any damage and what wax to use.

all of which is very greatly needed and appreciated

thanks in advance!

-dom

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
When I had my galaxy black T, all I used twice a year was a clay bar and Collinite detergent free wax.I also used weekly Transmate "wash and wax" and followed that up with Transmate "Final Detail" (spray wax). I must mention,my scheme is not specificaly designed only for black paint. I also use it on all my vehicles with various colors.

·
Registered
14,534 Posts
I own a Port Cable high speed buffer you see from Adams
this is what I use on my red truck with the different polishes from adams

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I usually take my truck to a self washing place, and get all the parts under the truck, then i immediately take it to a place that washes it for me (i would do it myself if i had time), after that, I wax her at home, with a power buffer and do it twice with a buffer and twice with a sealant. My dad buys this freign stuff, i think its called Wolfgang, but i'm sure any kind will do the trick. Then I wash it again the next day. Its best to wax your vehicles now, because the cold is better for the wax. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I use Pinnacle Body Shampoo, and Megs Quick detailer on my Gal Black T every time I wash her. Twice a year, I clay bar, then polish with Meg's 105/205 on my porter cable DA polisher with Lake Country pads. Then I use Mothers Carnuba Paste Wax or Klasse Sealer then wax. Every time.

When i need to flush out the windows, I use a sopping wet wash mit and let water RUN down the inside and outside of the window moulding on the door. That flushes out the "grit" and it keeps the tint from scratching. I use a gritguard in my wash bucket, and wash & rinse with water straight from my water heater. The water is sent thru a mineral filter and water softener cartrige, then to my truck. I blow dry with a 30.00 electric leaf blower, then finish dry with MICROFIBER CLOTHS ONLY.

Kinda Anal, I know. But this truck is paid for and it has to last. That way i can give it to my son and buy me a different one. 4x4 next time.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Black T owner here and into detailing... I wash truck with soap bought from a local detail shop, dry, clay bar, then polish, and wax. Polishing is the most important part.

I use a porter cable rotary buffer for the majority of the truck, it should take a lot of the bad stuff out. If you have hairline scratches you will need more of a powerful buff. I use a Makita power sander with a buffing wheel attachment that detail shops sell. This is pretty dangerous to use because if you hold it with light pressure on the paint for 10 to 15 seconds or so you will just burn the paint off! You really gotta pay attention and keep a steady move on it.

There is a lot to learn about detailing!!! It goes way past just wash, clay, wax nowadays! check out this site, its forums and you can prolly get a lot of questions answered!!
http://www.autopia.org/

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
washed the crap out of it a third time today with a mit and lots of suds... got AAAllllll of the dirt off... and i mean all of it... no residue left.. went to a detail shop and got a three step wax kit and a clay bar kit... had my buddy who used to detail limos clay bar it and help me wax.... got done with all three but i got some scratching on the hood and on the right rear bed panel right on the corner of the hump...

i dont knwo what your definition of hairline scratches are but lets put it this way... my buffer (which is pretty safe as its fairly slow and doesnt spin it vibrates) would not take out the scrathes... it hid them quite a bit... im going to try the scratch remover from Mothers tomorrow and see or the one from Nu Finish.... if not ill have the T sent in for detailing as much as i dont want to pay for it... but the scratches piss me off sooooo much.

mostly because i know if it werent for my desire to get the T dirty and have a lil fun in the mud it would have never happened. but what can i say... someone has to show the other trucks how to do it right.

any suggestions for a good buffer and wax to use...

thanks again guys it really helped... clay bar worked wonders... made the car feel like it was waxed before the wax... and after the wax i could see my own reflection... IN THE DARK! it was like 6pm once i finished, and i started at 2.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
My advice is to continue to talk with your detailer. As you continue to go mudding with your T, you will need to be careful in regards to how agressive and how often you buff....

Remember that paint is only skin deep.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I know where you're coming from with how annoying the deep scratches are! I had two huge ones in my tail gate, and this is how i got them out.
My Titan is dark grey, so not quite black, but still a ***** to keep clean.
I used a Porter Cable random orbiter, and used a #3 polish from maguiars. I did a few coats on that section of the tailgate, then took it over the rest of the truck to get rid of micro scratches, then finished with a coat of wax. Mother's is great stuff too, but you can get anything you need to make your truck look great from Griots Garage. It'll be cheaper than the detailer
Good luck

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know where you're coming from with how annoying the deep scratches are! I had two huge ones in my tail gate, and this is how i got them out.
My Titan is dark grey, so not quite black, but still a ***** to keep clean.
I used a Porter Cable random orbiter, and used a #3 polish from maguiars. I did a few coats on that section of the tailgate, then took it over the rest of the truck to get rid of micro scratches, then finished with a coat of wax. Mother's is great stuff too, but you can get anything you need to make your truck look great from Griots Garage. It'll be cheaper than the detailer
Good luck

Thanks dude I actually picked some up the other day and with a lot of research finish your car off with a glaze #5 from Meguiars... great stuff will get you that mirror finish you want.... I always start with a clay bar from mothers with the instant showtime detailer (comes in a kit) do their three step process... make sure i wipe all of the wax off and start with a Meguiars medium-cut wax #1, you can try #27 for deeper scratches, swirls, acid rain damage, and even oxidization etc. Pretty much an all purpose wax that is safe on clear and paint!!!

finish it with the glaze that can be wiped off immediately after application and a good rub in and if done well your car will look better than new!

I always always always recommend and highly encourage a really nice careful wash so you don't start waxing in the dirt. I have a chevron station that does detailing around me, they charge $8 for a full outside wash and really clean the crap off of my car and get everything spotless clean. They hand dry with nice cloths and use compressed air for the cracks... I will never hand wash again! takes me over 3 hours they did it in 20 min and cleaned my rims!!!!!

my cars looking pretty good now just make sure to keep moving if you end up using the medium cut wax as it can start to eat away but is safer than polishing.... for bad scratches I also have Scratch X 2.0 and a deep rubbing compound if I have to work one out pretty hard... I also picked up touch up paint for small or large chips, I have an airbrush from other projects and once you get the hang of using their applier and an airbrush you can make accidents disappear.... Just make sure to use the bottle one not the pen application one even though it comes with clear coat. The bottle type does not need it and blends very well in my cases.

Good luck for everyone else reading!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Racist thread tittle, Black Nissan T owners, Im caucasian and take offense to that. Im just kidding of course.

·
Vendor
32,925 Posts
Thanks dude I actually picked some up the other day and with a lot of research finish your car off with a glaze #5 from Meguiars... great stuff will get you that mirror finish you want.... I always start with a clay bar from mothers with the instant showtime detailer (comes in a kit) do their three step process... make sure i wipe all of the wax off and start with a Meguiars medium-cut wax #1, you can try #27 for deeper scratches, swirls, acid rain damage, and even oxidization etc. Pretty much an all purpose wax that is safe on clear and paint!!!

finish it with the glaze that can be wiped off immediately after application and a good rub in and if done well your car will look better than new!

I always always always recommend and highly encourage a really nice careful wash so you don't start waxing in the dirt. I have a chevron station that does detailing around me, they charge $8 for a full outside wash and really clean the crap off of my car and get everything spotless clean. They hand dry with nice cloths and use compressed air for the cracks... I will never hand wash again! takes me over 3 hours they did it in 20 min and cleaned my rims!!!!!

my cars looking pretty good now just make sure to keep moving if you end up using the medium cut wax as it can start to eat away but is safer than polishing.... for bad scratches I also have Scratch X 2.0 and a deep rubbing compound if I have to work one out pretty hard... I also picked up touch up paint for small or large chips, I have an airbrush from other projects and once you get the hang of using their applier and an airbrush you can make accidents disappear.... Just make sure to use the bottle one not the pen application one even though it comes with clear coat. The bottle type does not need it and blends very well in my cases.

Good luck for everyone else reading!
If you want to try some Adam's stuff and want to make the trek my way you can meet at my house and we can detail your truck. I have everything you would need.

Let me know.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you want to try some Adam's stuff and want to make the trek my way you can meet at my house and we can detail your truck. I have everything you would need.

Let me know.
Haha thanks dude i would probably be some time in the summer...i got a buddy i trade some jetski parts with...hes out in huntington beach ...so ill let you know

1 - 13 of 13 Posts