Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I turn the steering wheel to the left or right while parked there is a horrible popping and clicking noise.

Steering rack possibly? I did a search and saw a few have been replaced. Is this a part that Nissan has updated?

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Thanks for all of the responses everyone. :lol:

In any case, if it is a power steering rack problem I assume it is covered under the 5 year/60,000 warranty? I currently have 57,xxx on the truck. The truck goes in to the dealer at 4pm today to be looked at.

·
Registered
250 Posts
PRJ said:
In any case, if it is a power steering rack problem I assume it is covered under the 5 year/60,000 warranty? I currently have 57,xxx on the truck. The truck goes in to the dealer at 4pm today to be looked at.
i am going to guess it won;t be covered since it is not "powertrain", but for your sake i hope i am wrong.

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Steering rack. Not covered under warranty. What a POS vehicle. Only 57,000 miles and the steering rack is toast. :flame:

$1000 for parts and $300 for labor. :flame:

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
That does suck but You should be able to get it replaced for less and or do it yourself. I have looked mine over for when I have to replace it since R&P on a 4x4 truck is NFG IMO and I know it will fail, it doesn't look all that bad for a change out.

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Shane06fl said:
That does suck but You should be able to get it replaced for less and or do it yourself. I have looked mine over for when I have to replace it since R&P on a 4x4 truck is NFG IMO and I know it will fail, it doesn't look all that bad for a change out.
I've never done it before and don't plan to. I'm kind of at the age right now where I don't work on cars anymore. I pay people (when I feel it is justified) to work on them for me. The most I do these days is the oil change. I don't trust the Jiffy Lube places.

For starters today I called the 1-800-Nissan-1 number, talked to someone and filed a complaint. Allegedly some "regional representative" is suppose to call me back tomorrow, talk it over with me and let me know if it will be covered under warranty or not.

Most times I really don't mind paying for the work to be done. But when you've brought your truck to the dealer 21 times for about 30 different problems, like I have, it gets a little sickening and one has to wonder whats going to be next? This is why I am trying to get this fixed under warranty.

If I can't get anything resolved through the Nissan rep, then the BBB is next. I have a nice big folder containing all the receipts from my 21 visits. I'm sure the BBB could have a field day with it.

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So if I don't do anything and let the steering rack continue to pop and click will anything major go wrong down the road?

Made the call to 1-800-Nissan1 and am waiting for a representative to call me back yet. I'll probably turn blue waiting.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Nissan call you back yet??

If your rack goes while driveing that could be bad. I would replace it soon but I bet you can get it done cheaper.

Friday I noticed a popping noise in my wifes Titan. I couldn't believe it!! Asked her about it and she said it has been doing for a while!! Thanks for telling me.
It pops when turning the wheels when stopped and when backing up, two different problems I guess.

dropping it off Thursday with a nice list for truck with 30k miles, they are gonna love me.

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Shane06fl said:
Nissan call you back yet??

If your rack goes while driveing that could be bad. I would replace it soon but I bet you can get it done cheaper.

Friday I noticed a popping noise in my wifes Titan. I couldn't believe it!! Asked her about it and she said it has been doing for a while!! Thanks for telling me.
It pops when turning the wheels when stopped and when backing up, two different problems I guess.

dropping it off Thursday with a nice list for truck with 30k miles, they are gonna love me.
Yeah, they called me back. They said it was out of warranty and wouldn't cover it. I informed them to have fun with the BBB. This is the worst vehicle I have ever owned.

Yeah, the clicking and popping can be heard while parked and it is louder when backing up.

Next stop is the BBB and we will see where it goes from there. I'm also thinking about dumping this lemon at the Toyota dealership and trading in for a Tundra. Problem is I really like this truck better than the Tundra and would upgrade to an '07 or '08 Titan, but if they haven't made any upgrades to the steering rack then I will probably end up with the same problem down the road.

I did a search on this forum and a few other Titan forums and the steering rack issue seems to be a common problem, just like the brakes and the rear differential and few other common ones.

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
This is only the second or third time I've read about a rack/pinion failure, not sure I'd consider it a "common" problem.

I do feel for you though, 21 trips is about 15 more than I could deal with. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Mine had to be replaced at 30k. Leaking seals, popping. I can only say that Nissan needs to hurry and find some dependable parts for the Titan before this " new guy " syndrome wears off and they are held accountable for screw-ups. Bad diffs, brakes, steering racks, a/c leaks, bed liner problems, seat squeeks, ect.-ect-. As much as I like this Titan, my patience is wearing thin. I really got pi**ed when I see a friend with a new 07 with less than 3000 miles have his differential fail. Get it right Nissan, even loyal supporters have limits.

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
No Lift Kits on my truck. It is all stock.

Strange turn of events...

I crawled under the truck, had my wife turn the steering wheel back and forth a few times, verified the noise was coming from the rack and then gave the power steering rack a few good thumps with the hammer. Clicking and Popping now gone. Everything seems to be working fine now. Go figure.

·
Registered
370 Posts
PRJ said:
Yeah, the clicking and popping can be heard while parked and it is louder when backing up.
My steering is making all kinds of clicks and pops, but only while driving, I have had it into the Nissan dealer twice now and they just keep saying they can't find anything wrong with it.

When yours was making the sounds your talking about, did it almost sound like the problem was coming from behind the dash? When I adjust my steering wheel tilt angle, the sounds nearly dissapear at the upper and lower angles, but in the middle it does it non stop. Its bothering me so much that if I can't get this fixed, I will likely have to sell or trade my truck in :crying:

·
Registered
969 Posts
sorry for bumping this but it is the most relevant and recent thread ive come across in the search

i started to get a pop when turning the wheel on pavement while stationary. it is random (but loud) and seems to happen mostly when i turn the wheel from a full lock.

i have heard similar groans and creaks in suburbans and other similar sized vehicles so i am not sure if it is the rack, but i hope it isn't. once i am back home i'll inspect it for leaks. the first idea was that there is something loose in the shock bolts and there is some flex in the strut tower but i cannot confirm this right now. i hate it when my vehicle falls apart on road trips.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
If it's a creak I'd say it's the rack bushings...popping noises can be related to lots of things. Oh, I'm sure you know this, but turning the wheels from lock to lock with the vehicle on the ground, while stationary is really hard on steering components :teethmast

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same problem and I removed the small skid plate under the steering area and the noises are gone .. sounds like a simple solutions but it worked for me, hope it saves someone time and money

1 - 17 of 17 Posts