Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I've got a clicking coming from the front drivers wheel. Not sure if it's normal or not. I only notice it at slow speeds (parking lot speeds). The tempo increases with speed. It reminds me of a card in spokes. I took a video and you can first start to hear it at 0:57 and it gets more noticeable at 1:04. There is a bit of wind noise, and my passenger side brake rotor is slightly warped so I got a little brake squeek when slowing down.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/earz_cd/05 titan/92854249.mp4

Any suggestions on what to look for? It really annoys me. Thanks

·
Registered
17,713 Posts
I had something similar to that awhile ago. Retorqued the lug nuts, and it went away for a few minutes. Then I realized I had a rock in my tire. Check for rocks :D

·
Registered
947 Posts
Time for a new wheel bearing bro... I had to switch mine out about a year ago

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had something similar to that awhile ago. Retorqued the lug nuts, and it went away for a few minutes. Then I realized I had a rock in my tire. Check for rocks :D
Yeah, I checked for rocks, and said I checked the tread in the video, but I forgot to say what I checked for. LOL.

Time for a new wheel bearing bro... I had to switch mine out about a year ago
Damn. Well, it could be worse I guess. Ill have to wait a bit. Just moved and need to get my toolbox unburied. Next question - Nissan bearings or something from Autozone?

·
Registered
14,150 Posts
yepppp bearing...or the actual hub might be cracked. Either way, for the titans, it comes as one assembly. you buy the whole thing, not just bearings.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dang, just saw that. Oh well, it's only money, right? LOL

·
Registered
14,150 Posts
at least you realized it and are gonna fix it. i think it was like 120 from a dealership for me in phoenix. didnt take too long to swap out. there is a thread on here too if you need a walk through...its got a weird name like here's the poop on bearings or something.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
I'm on my phone and I couldn't really hear your vid very well, but did it sound anything like this?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No, that was waayyy louder than mine. What was that noise?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Alright, I've been stupid busy...got a new job and a new house...still don't have my toolbox, but I was able to jack up the front of my truck and check things out. With a bad bearing/hub, normally there will be some play when grabbing the wheel at 6 & 12 and trying to rock it to and fro. I've got nothing - not even when using a 3' prybar under the tire. Is there any way to verify that the hub is faulty/damaged, especially when I have no play in the front wheel? I'd hate to spend the $$ on a new hub if it's not needed. I tried spinning the tire by hand when it was elevated, but there's too much static drag through the driveline for my scrawny a$$ to get it spinning to the speed where it makes the noise. Could the clicking noise be caused by something else?

On a side note: when laying under the elevated front end, if I grab the CV shaft cup right before it goes into the front diff, there is some play there. Is this normal? It's enough that it makes a soft clunking noise when turning it back and forth.

I plan on changing the front & rear diff fluid this week, since I bought it with 78K miles and who knows when it was done last...:confused:

·
Registered
22 Posts
I would check the front drive shaft U Joints. One of mine was bad and it made a similar ticking sound you could only hear at low speeds.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Juday, I'll check tonight. I'm going to change my diff fluids as long as it's not raining.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I would check the front drive shaft U Joints. One of mine was bad and it made a similar ticking sound you could only hear at low speeds.
Got my diff fluids changed and checked out my u-joints. Rear diff oil was pretty clean. The front was nasty. Both joints on the front shaft need to be replaced, with the joint at the front axle having the most play. I also discovered that the pinion seal on the front diff is leaking and the output shaft seal (to front driveshaft) on the transfer case has been leaking. Looks like its time to do some driveline work. I'm hoping the u-joints fix my clicking problem :fingers crossed:

Any suggestions on u-joints? Good, bad, stay away from, etc.? I see NAPA has some for $9 each, and Nissan wants almost $60 each. I don't offroad hardly ever, and if I do, it's just a backroad that may get washed out or something. The only time I really use the 4wd is for snow, so I don't think I need anything super heavy duty.

Anyone know the size of socket needed to get the drive pinion flange off the front diff to replace that seal? And, any sources for these seals other than Nissan? I hate my local dealer an refuse to give them any money.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I just changed my u-joints and so did my buddy. Both our trucks were making stupid amounts of noise. Changed the u-joint and not a squeak. Easy cheap fix THANK GOD haha

As far as the u-joints i got, i decided to go with the heavy duty option that has a place that you can re-lube them up. I would go with that option. I think around 30-35 bucks each at autozone or O'rileys

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
No, that was waayyy louder than mine. What was that noise?
sorry for the super late reply. my lugs just needed to be re-torqued. according to the dealer, my wheels were about to fall off. ha.

hope you figure out the noise!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Any suggestions on u-joints? Good, bad, stay away from, etc.? I see NAPA has some for $9 each, and Nissan wants almost $60 each. I don't offroad hardly ever, and if I do, it's just a backroad that may get washed out or something. The only time I really use the 4wd is for snow, so I don't think I need anything super heavy duty.

I bought Spicer U-joints from Northern Drivetrain based on the recommedations of others here. The fronts were $11.34 each and you can grease them. The part number is SPI-5-153x. The back U-joints were $15.76 each and the part number is SPI-5-178x.

·
Registered
383 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yeah, I checked for rocks, and said I checked the tread in the video, but I forgot to say what I checked for. LOL.

Damn. Well, it could be worse I guess. Ill have to wait a bit. Just moved and need to get my toolbox unburied. Next question - Nissan bearings or something from Autozone?
its a whole wheel hub assembly. $170.00 each from autozone. I'm actually doing mine tomorrow.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts