Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

The last few days I notice a kind of clicking/metal on metal sound coming from what sounds like the front of the truck. Here's what I can tell about it so far:

- It is speed dependent - it only makes noise from about 20-30mph; above or beyond that, nothing. And you can definitely tell it's coming from something that's rotating because you can hear rotation in the noise.

- It is load dependent - only makes noise under acceleration AND under load, ie going up a hill. Nothing at all going downhill, almost never on flat ground.

- It is not gear dependent - it makes it in 1-4 and OD, gated specifically into each gear.

- It is not constant. It will do it for a couple of seconds, then go away. Or sometimes for 7/8 seconds and then go away.

- It doesn't seem to care if the wheels are straight or turned in either direction.

I'm at a bit of a loss. I'm kind of thinking wheel bearing or CV joint, but I've had both go bad on different vehicles before - bearings have always just gotten progressively louder and worse at speed, CV joints usually show up mostly on turning in a certain direction. I don't really feel the telltale clunk of a U-joint, and at any rate it's more of a clackety/grindy metal sound.

What do you guys think? I won't have time until this weekend to put this up in the air to take a better look..

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
Are you a 4x ? If so it could be a bad u-joint.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
My vote is for a bearing gone bad.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, it's a 4wd. Funny thing is last two days, nothing. I'm wondering if it's some kind of heat shield loose vibrating against something at certain RPM?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Take your rear rotors off and check your e-brake for loose hardware or shoes

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
cracked tranny mount?

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, more info:

Still hear clicking. Seems like it's coming from the front passenger side, definitely when under load for the most part, doesn't seem to be related to turning the wheels. I put it up in the air this afternoon. Wheel bearings feel fine - no play at all in the wheel. Rolling it forward or backward doesn't replicate the sound at all. I notice that the axle shafts turn with the wheel. Wheel feels fine as it spins.

This leads me to believe it's either some kind of sympathetic rattle, something rubbing, or something either gear driven or dependent on a loaded suspension. Any guesses?

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just wanted to update this thread for posterity: the noise turned out to be the brakes; both front brakes were worn down bad and uneven, but the right front brake was the worst. To confirm, I took off the back brake pad and snapped the low pad indicator off and put it back together - the worst of the noise was gone. I finished confirming by changing the front brakes. Nice, quiet, and no sounds :) Drove it all over under same conditions checking for noise, nothing.

BTW, I also checked for front bearing play (none) and any kind of clicking or grinding noise/feel in the front shafts. Everything felt good.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Sorry to brIng this back from the dead but I'm having similar issues from 20-30 and 46-50ish. Still have the 30/1000 from the dealer and the remaining factory warranty. Hopefully someone will take care of it. Don't want something to happen when I drive it across the country.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts