Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been searching and reading about all the different clicking noises our Titans make. Unfortunately I can't seem to find the problem I'm having.

It's random, but getting worse. It doesn't matter what gear I'm in (auto tranny, but I checked every gear on decel with the auto-shift thingy). I pulled the front drive shaft, and it didn't change the noise. So it can't be the front u-joints. I have >.25" of rotational play in the front yolk, so that seems fine. I have just under 70,000 miles and I hardly ever use the 4WD. I can't find anything loose, but it does sound like something rattling. I also checked both CV shafts abd they are tight.

I'm concerned it could be the tranny.

Any thoughts, or other things I could check?

Check my sig for my truck's profile.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
942 Posts
Have you checked the heat shields, sometimes the bolts for the shields will come loose and when the motor hits a certain RPM, it creates just the right reverberation to cause the bolts to rattle against the shields. Just a thought, have seen this issue in the past.

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
I've been searching and reading about all the different clicking noises our Titans make. Unfortunately I can't seem to find the problem I'm having.

It's random, but getting worse. It doesn't matter what gear I'm in (auto tranny, but I checked every gear on decel with the auto-shift thingy). I pulled the front drive shaft, and it didn't change the noise. So it can't be the front u-joints. I have >.25" of rotational play in the front yolk, so that seems fine. I have just under 70,000 miles and I hardly ever use the 4WD. I can't find anything loose, but it does sound like something rattling. I also checked both CV shafts abd they are tight.

I'm concerned it could be the tranny.

Any thoughts, or other things I could check?

Check my sig for my truck's profile.

Thanks!!
Is it one click as soon as you decel? Or is it continuous? Mine clicked one time on decel for a while and looked under neath and it was a front diff seal. Got that fixed and and it still did it. I asked the dealer and they said that the noise I was hearing was completely normal. It's gone now, somehow, but it almost sounded like you would take the chain that holds the spare and smacked it softly onto the rear axle one time. If it's not continuous and it does it one time, I'd say it's normal. My chevy s10 used to do the same thing.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's more than one click. It varies from approx. 4-10 rattles/clicks. I quickly checked the heat shields last night, but I'll check them again more thoroughly.

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
It's more than one click. It varies from approx. 4-10 rattles/clicks. I quickly checked the heat shields last night, but I'll check them again more thoroughly.
Do me a favor, go out with the truck in park and off. Go to the bumper and push it forward and back as hard as you can and see if you can hear that same noise. I did that to mine and could hear it. I had my binlaw do it for me and the noise was in the drive shaft. Let me know, I'm interested now:)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do me a favor, go out with the truck in park and off. Go to the bumper and push it forward and back as hard as you can and see if you can hear that same noise. I did that to mine and could hear it. I had my binlaw do it for me and the noise was in the drive shaft. Let me know, I'm interested now:)
That didn't recreate the noise. A couple other things; 1) if I give it a little throttle, It goes away. 2) The noise seems to be much better if I have a passenger. Probably a coincidence, but that last two times I've driven it was with a passenger. Today it would only click once on engine braking if at all, vs. 4-10 clicks.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I pulled the front drive shaft out and it still makes the noise. I'll check the rear drive shaft U-joints though just in case. Thanks

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just an update since it has been a while. Turns out it was the bearing for the front drive shaft coming out of the Transfer Case. Ordered a 34k mile transfer case from a junkyard (www.autowrecking.com). Since the truck is out of commission, I also ordered the Deaver C30's, PRG Shackles and all new U-Joints (the kind with the grease zerk).

I pulled out the transfer case that was in there (pretty easy actually, other than pounding out the U-Joints and the top bolt on the T-Case housing). Now the truck is just sittin gin the garage waiting for the parts to arrive over the next 3 days.

Wish me luck!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just an update since it has been a while. Turns out it was the bearing for the front drive shaft coming out of the Transfer Case. Ordered a 34k mile transfer case from a junkyard (www.autowrecking.com). Since the truck is out of commission, I also ordered the Deaver C30's, PRG Shackles and all new U-Joints (the kind with the grease zerk).

I pulled out the transfer case that was in there (pretty easy actually, other than pounding out the U-Joints and the top bolt on the T-Case housing). Now the truck is just sitting in the garage waiting for the parts to arrive over the next 3 days.

Wish me luck!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ugh. The new (low mileage used) Transfer Case is not the problem. it still makes the noise and now it's getting worse. I took it to Nissan and they said they couldn't get it to make the noise. Now that it's worse, I have to take it in to them. I'll let you know what it is...finally.

Reactions: Titan-ization

·
Registered
23 Posts
Any update on this yet? Do you feel any "backlash" when you come to a complete stop (if that makes any sense)? I have the same clicking noise coming from mine. It seems to do it only when i am engine braking as you said. Mine seems to click continuous though when slowing. I was thinking that it may be the bearing where the front drive shaft goes into the fron dif.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah. It was one of the pins holding in the spider gears in the rearend. It was just rebuilt 7 months and 10k ago, so they fixed it for free. At least I had a chance to upgrade to a lower mileage T-Case, new U-joints, Deaver C-30's, PRG Blocks and PRG Shackles. I hate being forced to buy ****, but at least it's cool ****.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yeah. It was one of the pins holding in the spider gears in the rearend. It was just rebuilt 7 months and 10k ago, so they fixed it for free. At least I had a chance to upgrade to a lower mileage T-Case, new U-joints, Deaver C-30's, PRG Blocks and PRG Shackles. I hate being forced to buy ****, but at least it's cool ****.
I realize this was awhile ago, but I just ran into the same problem. My center pin in the rear broke. I don't have the money to fix it by upgrading everything. I was wondering where you got the replacement center pin. Nissan told me that the pin wasn't even showing up in their parts database at all. I need help!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts