Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 180 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 2017 titan for 3 months now and in the past 3 weeks, I've heard a clicking sound coming from the front of the engine - can't hear anything when inside the truck. When the truck is started up and is idling - there is no clicking BUT after I drive it for a while and then stop and let it idle, then I can hear the clicking. Took it to the dealership today and had both the Service Manager and the head mechanic come and listen to the clicking - Both stated that it's not coming from the engine most likely from either the cooling fan or belts. Left the truck with them and when they restarted the truck - no clicking - they inspected the cooling fan assembly and serpentine belt assembly for any irregularities - none found. So I picked up the truck and drove home - when I got home, my wife was outside and said that she can hear the clicking sound. So this is starting to drive me nuts. Oil pressure is good as well as the oil level - anyone have any ideas/suggestions

·
Registered
450 Posts
I've had my 2017 titan for 3 months now and in the past 3 weeks, I've heard a clicking sound coming from the front of the engine - can't hear anything when inside the truck. When the truck is started up and is idling - there is no clicking BUT after I drive it for a while and then stop and let it idle, then I can hear the clicking. Took it to the dealership today and had both the Service Manager and the head mechanic come and listen to the clicking - Both stated that it's not coming from the engine most likely from either the cooling fan or belts. Left the truck with them and when they restarted the truck - no clicking - they inspected the cooling fan assembly and serpentine belt assembly for any irregularities - none found. So I picked up the truck and drove home - when I got home, my wife was outside and said that she can hear the clicking sound. So this is starting to drive me nuts. Oil pressure is good as well as the oil level - anyone have any ideas/suggestions
Purge solenoids are stupid noisy. NORMAL :)
over 10 years of the same complaint to dealerships, you would think they had a wrap around insulation made. but noooo. Its normal! :)

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
over 10 years of the same complaint to dealerships, you would think they had a wrap around insulation made. but noooo. Its normal! :)

Wouldn't the clicking sound be constant ??? At start up - no clicking; drive a bit and then idle - clicking

·
Registered
450 Posts
Wouldn't the clicking sound be constant ??? At start up - no clicking; drive a bit and then idle - clicking
Ok, at idle the clicking sound, if you barely raise of idle, do you still hear the clicking, if so I bet it is the same 'speed ' as it is at idle.
If it changes speed with engine rpm. I would then consult the dealer about the issue.

and yes, at startup no clicking.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, at idle the clicking sound, if you barely raise of idle, do you still hear the clicking, if so I bet it is the same 'speed ' as it is at idle.
If it changes speed with engine rpm. I would then consult the dealer about the issue.

and yes, at startup no clicking.
The clicking doesn't increase with an increase in engine RPM - So, are you saying that if it is the purge solenoid - the clicking would not be there at start up ???

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Took the Titan to the dealership today (regarding clicking sound) and asked them what about the purge solenoids and their response was NO - it is a different sound from the solenoids. They have basically guaranteed me that this clicking sound is NOT coming from the engine. They suggest maybe it's the cooling fan clutch - could this cause a very inconsistent clicking sound ???

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
This was talked about before if you search. Had the same issue. Some mentioned it could be the oil filter? Had the filter changed and it went away for a week than came back. Brought it back and they swapped the filter out again. So far it's been 3 months and the clicking has not come back. Still had some other noises going on around the engine compartment so I had the serpentine belt changed. Now the engine sounds a bit more quiet when idling

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This was talked about before if you search. Had the same issue. Some mentioned it could be the oil filter? Had the filter changed and it went away for a week than came back. Brought it back and they swapped the filter out again. So far it's been 3 months and the clicking has not come back. Still had some other noises going on around the engine compartment so I had the serpentine belt changed. Now the engine sounds a bit more quiet when idling
Another issue that I had with the Titan was an oil leak - yesterday the dealership resealed the oil pan and basically gave me a complete oil change (including new oil filter) - since then no clicking sound - Will now wait and see what if anything happens with the clicking

·
Registered
181 Posts
Another issue that I had with the Titan was an oil leak - yesterday the dealership resealed the oil pan and basically gave me a complete oil change (including new oil filter) - since then no clicking sound - Will now wait and see what if anything happens with the clicking
Hey i just had the same thing with my oil pan was leaking .it was due to a lack of missing silicone at the engine plant they need to set up the machine ..it doesn't finish the job and just left a small amount of silicone in the the rear right corner of the pan..they changed the oil and put and new oil filter..but my clicking is still there .my friend is a good mechanic and told me not to worry about it it the purge valve for the gas evaporator that is noisy..just wrap it with a insulation and aluminum tape and you wont hear it no more..

·
Registered
181 Posts
Try and tell us what the temperature outside wen the clicking occur.for me it only happen wen it -5 and lower..but as soon the truck is hot it gone...

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
https://youtu.be/Q1RY005VO6M it was -15 c this morning and it was clicking this is not and injector noise You can here the injector in the back ground..but the click is much louder ..
That's the exact ticking sound that I'm hearing intermittently from my Titan. Does yours tick at start up ??? Mine doesn't. Mine ticks (sometimes) after I drive it a bit and then let it idle and I'll hear the ticking. But if I let it idle to long, the ticking goes away. I take it into the dealership tomorrow (Feb 2) and they want to replace the cooling fan clutch (thinking that this is what's causing the ticking). I'll tell them what your mechanic friend told you and then see what they say. Temperature doesn't seem to matter (I've heard it ticking at -6C and -20C)

·
Registered
181 Posts
That's the exact ticking sound that I'm hearing intermittently from my Titan. Does yours tick at start up ??? Mine doesn't. Mine ticks (sometimes) after I drive it a bit and then let it idle and I'll hear the ticking. But if I let it idle to long, the ticking goes away. I take it into the dealership tomorrow (Feb 2) and they want to replace the cooling fan clutch (thinking that this is what's causing the ticking). I'll tell them what your mechanic friend told you and then see what they say. Temperature doesn't seem to matter (I've heard it ticking at -6C and -20C)
Same here the ticking is only in the low temperature the ticking only come on after a minute or 2 as the truck warm up and the ticking goes away the same way as your truck..let me no what happen after they change the fan clutch..in think it from that area to..this morning i will try to put the air conditioning on wen i start it to see what happen ..keep us posted on this issue whit or 50.000$+ truck..don't those guy at NISSAN test them before they sale them....still love that truck anyway..

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well took the Titan to the dealership this AM and when I arrived and drove into their drive thru, I stopped and got out of the truck (left the truck running) and the clicking was there - so I went into the service dept and told the service advisor that it was clicking and she got the top technician who came over and plugged a computer into the truck and opened the hood - between the computer and what looked like a sort of listening device he then told me that YES it was the cooling fan coupling that was making a knocking/clicking sound. They replaced the fan coupling and so far so good - NO KNOCKING/CLICKING SOUNDS. I have no idea what a cooling fan coupling is and does - can anybody help to explain this device to me - Thanks

·
Registered
181 Posts
Well took the Titan to the dealership this AM and when I arrived and drove into their drive thru, I stopped and got out of the truck (left the truck running) and the clicking was there - so I went into the service dept and told the service advisor that it was clicking and she got the top technician who came over and plugged a computer into the truck and opened the hood - between the computer and what looked like a sort of listening device he then told me that YES it was the cooling fan coupling that was making a knocking/clicking sound. They replaced the fan coupling and so far so good - NO KNOCKING/CLICKING SOUNDS. I have no idea what a cooling fan coupling is and does - can anybody help to explain this device to me - Thanks
Cool nice to ear that the fan clutch is the noise. keep us posted if the clicking come back..the fan clutch is what engage the front fan wen temperature of your engine come up ..so that is probable that went the truck is cool it was not able to determine the on or off position and was not engaging properly.

·
Registered
181 Posts
ok so i posted the YouTube video of the clicking sound and someone tell me that i had the clicking problem..and got a fix by replacing the actuator for the grill louvers..and tell me that the noise went away..i think that it must be the one..that cause the clicking sound..:eek_surprise:

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ok so i posted the YouTube video of the clicking sound and someone tell me that i had the clicking problem..and got a fix by replacing the actuator for the grill louvers..and tell me that the noise went away..i think that it must be the one..that cause the clicking sound..:eek_surprise:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OKBwco1p0o
So is your clicking sound gone ??? Its been 2 days since they replaced the cooling fan clutch on my Titan and so far no clicking sound.

·
Registered
181 Posts
So is your clicking sound gone ??? Its been 2 days since they replaced the cooling fan clutch on my Titan and so far no clicking sound.
Hey my clicking is still there.. can you tell me went you start you truck and it cold outside if the louver is open or shut..you can look true the front grill and you will see those louver..it take a minute or 2 to shut them close .it suppose to shut to warm the engine faster thanks ..

1 - 20 of 180 Posts