Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I got my new 2" leveling kit that I put on a few weeks ago from the group buy and ever since then I hear a noise coming from the front right suspension area. I can't figure out where it is coming from and it is irritating the crap out of me now. I only hear it when going over little bumps or cracks in the road. It only is heard when I am also going 10 - 60 MPH. Can't really hear it over that unless it doesn't clank at those high speeds.
I have already taken off the tire and made sure that everything is tight and torqued to what GAry at NCD has notified me to do. I don't see any rubbing marks or where the control arms would be hitting. I did the same thing when I installed the other side.

I can't figure it out and it is too hard to tune it out with the music on. I know it is still there and can't do anything about it.

Can any one help me out on this one? Right now I am open to anything.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
TitanDuner said:
Alright, I got my new 2" leveling kit that I put on a few weeks ago from the group buy and ever since then I hear a noise coming from the front right suspension area. I can't figure out where it is coming from and it is irritating the crap out of me now. I only hear it when going over little bumps or cracks in the road. It only is heard when I am also going 10 - 60 MPH. Can't really hear it over that unless it doesn't clank at those high speeds.
I have already taken off the tire and made sure that everything is tight and torqued to what GAry at NCD has notified me to do. I don't see any rubbing marks or where the control arms would be hitting. I did the same thing when I installed the other side.

I can't figure it out and it is too hard to tune it out with the music on. I know it is still there and can't do anything about it.

Can any one help me out on this one? Right now I am open to anything.
I have the same sounds - but from both sides. (my kit is the 2 1/2" from four wheel parts store and they did the install/alignment - Daystar I think) I really didn't notice it until I put the bigger/heavier tires on. I can't find anything loose either. I assumed that the sound was from my spacer and the suspension loading/unloading quickly. I notice it offroad but only when the suspension unloads a lot (big dips or whoops). any one else?

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Fox Delta said:
I have the same sounds - but from both sides. (my kit is the 2 1/2" from four wheel parts store and they did the install/alignment - Daystar I think) I really didn't notice it until I put the bigger/heavier tires on. I can't find anything loose either. I assumed that the sound was from my spacer and the suspension loading/unloading quickly. I notice it offroad but only when the suspension unloads a lot (big dips or whoops). any one else?
Daystar and their copy cats are bad news because they add pre-load ... just search on the word Daystar here at Titan Talk for lots of stories on them.

The PRG and NCD level kits mount on top of the OEM coilover and can also make noise ... but won't add to their already short life. In the post below PrerunnerGreg sums up the issue with Daystars, and the noise for both types.

http://www.titantalk.com/forums/372503-post12.html

·
Registered
108 Posts
Ya mine does it too(top gun customz 2 1/2"), I'm about ready to replace the front shocks. I just don't wanna have to rent a spring compressor and take the whole thing apart again, if I don't have too.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
DJG21TITAN said:
Ya mine does it too(top gun customz 2 1/2"), I'm about ready to replace the front shocks. I just don't wanna have to rent a spring compressor and take the whole thing apart again, if I don't have too.
Just get some coilovers from PRG. Probably will never have to mess with them again. Requires a toe-in alignment though, like the level kits.

The 2" diameter body ones from Radflo are around $700 shipped or the 2.5" body DR coilovers for around $1150 shipped. Contact PRGproducts.com "contacts" for current price quotes.

These will also level your truck and don't require aftermarket upper A-arms.
Oh, and they just bolt in as a single unit ... coils and shocks and height adjustment collar in one.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
swarren1 said:
Daystar and their copy cats are bad news because they add pre-load ... just search on the word Daystar here at Titan Talk for lots of stories on them.

The PRG and NCD level kits mount on top of the OEM coilover and can also make noise ... but won't add to their already short life. In the post below PrerunnerGreg sums up the issue with Daystars, and the noise for both types.

http://www.titantalk.com/forums/372503-post12.html

Hmmm - it makes sense that the shock is the limiting factor on big whoops -
you can really feel it "top out"
but really doesn't explain why it makes a thunkety-thunk sound when when the shock is traveling about an inch total while going down my subdivison street. hopefully only 8 more months until I can get the CST 7" :rockon

I think the sounds I hear are from the suspension unloading quickly and giving the spacer just a smidge of room then loading back up. As in the concrete cracks on the local streets. I don't hear the sounds above 40 mph though

Unfortunately I found Daystar before i found Titantalk :rolleyes:

·
Registered
108 Posts
I did'nt wanna spend that much cash. I'm already in 1400 for lift, tires, and alignment. Another 700 is a little too much.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Maybe instead of buying new replacements, and renting/borrowing a spring compressor, you can find some newer take-offs OEM coilovers for cheap.

Some of these guyz lift and do other suspension upgrades right away. Just check the buy/sell area or even post a want to buy with your general location because shipping is a hassle for someone only making $25 to $50. Then save up for some good ones.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So the noise is coming from the OEM shocks even when the spacer is placed on top of the strut?
Dam that really sucks! I didn't really want to upgrade to anything else for awhile even though I have the mod itch.
So there is no other way to fix the noise other than to replace the front shocks?

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
I think the description means with the better designed top of coilover level kits, the A-arms hit against the coil bucket for the full extension droop stop, which protects the shocks.

Remember, the main purpose of a level kit is for looks. They are not a suspension upgrade.

But "going over little bumps or cracks in the road" shouldn't cause the A-arm to hit the bucket, so something sounds wrong.

Maybe your shocks were already blown, or something wasn't installed right. Could be unrelated too like a loose/missing motor mount bolt, forgotten tool, etc. Maybe drive it to NCD and have them check it out.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
Can you tell which side is making the noise? If so, then try swapping the left & right shocks and see if the noise moves...

·
Registered
250 Posts
Duner..

I too was part of the NCD group buy, and I also had the clicking noise right after the install. I did the install on a Sunday afternoon; Monday morning was doing it on the way to work. I went out at lunch and drove over several steep dips and inclines, and the clicking seemed to have eased off a little. That evening headed home and didn't hear anything, and haven't since. So in my case, seemed like the new system had to settle; maybe even the lower strut bolt moved into a seated postion.

If your noise doesn't go away, you may have to remove the spacer to see if the noise is still there. If so, most likely the strut itself. If no noise, reinstall the spacer, being sure to clean the mounting surfaces, and double check your torques.

good luck...

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
hmmm, funny, well sucks actually sorry to hear the problems guys...

when i installed my PRG spacers never heard a clunk. actually mine performed and rode much better with them in over stock which always bottomed out hard.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
hooligan said:
hmmm, funny, well sucks actually sorry to hear the problems guys...

when i installed my PRG spacers never heard a clunk. actually mine performed and rode much better with them in over stock which always bottomed out hard.
I think I will go talk to the guys at 4WPW who did mine and see if they will help me find the cause of the sounds.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
this isn't making me want to install my leveling kit but, I've already got it.
I bought the 2 1/2" leveling kit from PRG for my 2wd Titan, and this weekend i ended up buying a 07' 4wd, question? can I install the spacers on my 4wd as well as the Bilsteins? The leveling kit I bought was to be in conjunction with my 4"spindle lift to give me 6 1/2" of total lift.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
jasonmotox said:
I bought the 2 1/2" leveling kit from PRG for my 2wd Titan, and this weekend i ended up buying a 07' 4wd, question? can I install the spacers on my 4wd as well as the Bilsteins? The leveling kit I bought was to be in conjunction with my 4"spindle lift to give me 6 1/2" of total lift.
I would install mine again - if I were in your shoes I would go ahead. my understanding is that the spacer I have is actually on top of my coil (which compresses it) and the one you have mounts abovethe coil and does not compress anything (which is better). I found Daystar before Titantalk :crying:

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
jasonmotox said:
NO! the spacers, although they'll fit, will not work properly! do not put those spacers in your 4wd. the spindles won't work with a 4wd either!!! you'll need to return the spacers for 2" spacers that PRG has for the 4wd models, the spindles, if not used, can be exchanged for credit towards a bracket lift for your 4x4 model. hopefully you didn't try to get these installed...:teethmast

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
BHMTitan said:
Duner..

I too was part of the NCD group buy, and I also had the clicking noise right after the install. I did the install on a Sunday afternoon; Monday morning was doing it on the way to work. I went out at lunch and drove over several steep dips and inclines, and the clicking seemed to have eased off a little. That evening headed home and didn't hear anything, and haven't since. So in my case, seemed like the new system had to settle; maybe even the lower strut bolt moved into a seated postion.

If your noise doesn't go away, you may have to remove the spacer to see if the noise is still there. If so, most likely the strut itself. If no noise, reinstall the spacer, being sure to clean the mounting surfaces, and double check your torques.

good luck...
Well it looks like I am going to have to disassemble and reassemble the kit all over again. The noise is still there and I know I installed and torqued it correctly. I might just switch the shocks to the other side to see if that is it.

Well I know what I am doing on Sunday.

·
Banned
220 Posts
The outcome will be the same regardless of who makes them. IMO, if trucks were meant to have blocks mounted to the top of the coilover.......they might come that way from the factory. Be happy that it no longer looks like it's taking a nose dive. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts