Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this subject has been discussed in previous threads, but I haven't seen anything relating to my problem. Just purchased a new 2010 Titan and on the way home from the dealership with the new truck, I had to cross two small speed bumps. At only 5 mph, I had a loud clunk noise in the front end as I crossed them. At first, I thought I had hit something, but on further examination, I couldn't see anything damaged. I took it into the dealer later and demonstrated the problem to them. They had it for a couple of hours and then told me I had to have the front springs replaced. Apparently when searching my VIN in their service bulletin database, two bulletins came up. One says there is a possible problem with the front stabilizer bar mount bushings causing the noise. The other is a problem with the front springs which is the one the service technician believes is the problem. They can't tell me what the problem is with the springs ... just they need to be replaced. Wow ... a new truck and needs new springs!! Anyway they are going to do it this week, so I will let everybody know the outcome.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I know this subject has been discussed in previous threads, but I haven't seen anything relating to my problem. Just purchased a new 2010 Titan and on the way home from the dealership with the new truck, I had to cross two small speed bumps. At only 5 mph, I had a loud clunk noise in the front end as I crossed them. At first, I thought I had hit something, but on further examination, I couldn't see anything damaged. I took it into the dealer later and demonstrated the problem to them. They had it for a couple of hours and then told me I had to have the front springs replaced. Apparently when searching my VIN in their service bulletin database, two bulletins came up. One says there is a possible problem with the front stabilizer bar mount bushings causing the noise. The other is a problem with the front springs which is the one the service technician believes is the problem. They can't tell me what the problem is with the springs ... just they need to be replaced. Wow ... a new truck and needs new springs!! Anyway they are going to do it this week, so I will let everybody know the outcome.
Man, I'm glad to hear I'm not crazy and someone else might help me find the answer. I have the exact same problem and they just replace my springs as well. I took off the sway bar and the D bushings that you were talking about were really dry like they hadn't greased them good in the first place and was rubbing paint off. So I cleaned everything up and greased both of them up to see if that would help and the clunking is still there.

I had a guy that knows a lot of working on vehicles helping me and he thinks its the spring that is separating from the bottom coil bucket and making the thumping noise.

Have you heard anything else?

·
Registered
14,534 Posts
It's not the front springs, the clunk you hear is the front shocks extending out to it full travel. It's the shocks and after I replaced the front shocks with bilstein hd's the clunk was gone

·
Registered
11 Posts
It's not the front springs, the clunk you hear is the front shocks extending out to it full travel. It's the shocks and after I replaced the front shocks with bilstein hd's the clunk was gone
Thanks for the information ArmyAviation. Did yours do the clunk even hitting a bump or a pothole?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Also, AZCamper check out the forum titled "Titan front and rear rebound clunk" at the end of page 4 or the beginning of page 5 in this forum section

·
Registered
14,534 Posts
yes it did. I owned a 06 Titan and didnt do it. When I drove my new 08 and after going over a speed bump I heard the "clunk" WTF?! so looking on here for answers its the shocks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ok well it at least feels good to have some answers finally, since my dealership didn't want to grow a set and admit that its a design flaw. Do I have to worry about it causing damage or is it just something that is freakin annoying??

·
Registered
877 Posts
Mine has seemed to diminish some since I put on a little taller tire. I still have it on deep potholes and taller speed bumps, but it's not as noticeable.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the info. Still waiting for the dealer to get in the new springs. I have measured the distance from road to top of front fender skirt and it is now 38 1/4 " and the springs have 8 coils. So if the new springs are shorter, I will be able to see how much the truck is lowered. If the problem is really with the shocks, I don't understand why NISSAN would have a technical bulletin to replace the springs. It seems to me a different shock would be cheaper and easier for the dealer. I will let you know what happens.

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
Subscribing as I'm about to purchase 2.5 Radflows in the front. Holding out to I hear what happens.
I'm looking to do the same, get about 2.5" lift on the front or 3" of possible. I have PRG UCAs already.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have an '08 Titan and had the same problem. What's happening is you're getting a full extension of the front suspension and the shock is "topping out" so to speak. So Nissan has redesigned the coil springs and replacing them if you complain about it (if still under warranty). This is what they did for me, the problem is the new coil springs change the dynamics of the front suspension making it much softer. Now the banging sound is gone but my Titan bounces down the road after bumps and handles braking turns like an '85 lincoln town car! I'm currently trying to get them to correct this problem, I'd rather have the bang sound than this issue. The dealership is however being compliant and helpful...I'll let you know what happens.

·
Registered
14,534 Posts
did they install the oem shock after the spring replacement? Try the Bilstein HD shocks

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
subscribing because of same issue...

2011 pro4 . fresh off the lot and same issues, seems to me like what alot of ppl in here are saying is that it feels like the shocks are topping out. will get it in to see what the dealership says when I get the time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just be careful what you wish for, they "fixed" mine but now I have a whole host of other problems. The entire strut/coil spring setup should've been redesigned but the cheap way out was to just redesign the spring which isn't enough.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just curious, as I am looking at getting a Pro4x as to why nobody has tried long travel shocks....if it is indeed running out of its intended range this would fix it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
for some reason, when I put the level kit on, it went away. The only thing that I can think of is because the strut is compressed more in the housing, thus when going over a speed bump or sorts it doesn't do it, except from the coil bucket. Just thought you guys would want to know

1 - 20 of 34 Posts