Nissan Titan Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
It's been a few months since I updated this thread. The smoke paint on the sides still protects and sheets water well, but the paint coating on the newly repainted roof doesn't seem to have lasted. Also had my Titan's hood, fender tops and A-pillars were repainted recently and I'll prep and coat them in a few months.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
It's time for an update of this coating test. After getting my hood, front fenders and A-pillars repainted in May, I let the Colorado sun and hot weather finish curing the smoke paint. Today, I thoroughly washed and clayed those areas, together with the roof and shell. After that, I applied a fresh coat of Crystal Serum Light (CSL) in an attempt to get the fresh paint some protection. This meant applying the Crystal Serum Light after the sun had set, as there's no way to get my '08 KC LWB Titan into the garage or any shady spot. Best I can do is allow the CSL to set up overnight for 12 hours after application. Once again, I got up on a ladder and primed the applicator pad with two capfuls (they provide a dropper to aid in this) and worked a 2 X 2' area in a cross-hatch pattern. Then, it's a simple matter to use a clean microfiber cloth to "level" each area, before going on to the next.

I was encouraged by my first attempt with CSL to finish using the bottle to coat or re-coat horizontal surfaces. We'll see how this trial fares in the summer heat...

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
After a month of hot summer weather with intermittent heavy rain, the CSL coating continues to work well on the Titan's new paint. Typically, I don't clean or wash the truck on a regular basis since it's parked behind my house. But so far, the CSL coating seems to offer a bit more protection for the fresh (but cured) paint on my Titan's roof and hood, so I'll keep monitoring it.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
It's fall and time for another CSL coat update. The Titan's smoke (K51) respray has continued to look great on the hood and roof. The paint coating continues to shed water and look great after four months of HOT summer weather, interspersed with heavy wind and rain. Even a 4K mile trip to the west coast and back doesn't seem to have affected the coating performance much. On to snow, cold and winter weather!

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Update on the Leer shell and CSL coating applied (refreshed) almost five months ago. After the most recent winter storm blew through Denver, it still appears to be beading and protecting as the ice and snow melts off the surface. But make no mistake, the finish on this 80's fiberglass wedge shell isn't the greatest and even the K51 color appears to be getting lighter as time goes on. The CSL coating isn't getting babied either; I don't wash the Titan between storms and can't do much to protect it as the truck itself is simply too long. Unlike some of the car restoration shows on TV, I don't believe ANY coating today will last five years without any serious maintenance.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
A couple more observations on the CSL coating after a warm day here in Denver. There was a solid coat of dirt and dust on the Titan, but it washed up just fine. The CSL coating doesn't offer a lot of beading on the roof, hood and shell where it was applied months ago. But the paint still shines beautifully and I'd say it looks better than new.

But, with all the comments on Nissan paint here, I thought it might be worth comparing the Titan with some of my other vehicles as they got a wash today. First, my two 350Zs, both in Redline AX6. I use Blackfire sealant on both the '03 (street) model and the '06 (race) SCCA T3-spec car. Both still look good, but both are either garaged or stored in an enclosed trailer. Next up, an '07 Versa SL hatchback in white that I used some CSL on, since it lives outside. This Mexican built Nissan has had surprisingly good paint over the years and the CSL seems to be holding up well since the spring application. Finally, my wife drives an '09 Infiniti G37xS sedan and gotta say, I think this car has the best paint in our little fleet. It use a flexible clearcoat called Scratch Shield paint that was used back in the 2009 model year. The Platinum Graphite paint still looks great, and Blackfire polish and sealant works great on it.

Also, by way of comparison, only the Titan and the race Z have had been repainted.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
It's February 2019 and several winter storm with heavy snow and ice have blown through Colorado. The CSL coating on the horizonal surfaces (hood, roof, a-pillars and fenders) seem to be holding up OK after seven months. Even more impressive, the vertical surfaces (doors, side of fenders and tailgate) are still beading and shedding water almost two years after having CSL applied. I didn't reapply this coating over the summer, but--to be fair--I haven't driven the truck much this winter. It remains a tow vehicle for the most part.

One point to note: the better the original paint, the better CSL seems to work. I started this thread to see how CSL worked in coating my repainted Leer wedgy shell and it's only been so-so in terms of protection. But it's probably 40 years old and had to be resurfaced, patched and repainted to even get back to being acceptable. The smoke paint on the shell is holding up OK, but if you have peeling paint of your Titan, these new style coatings won't help much. Only a respray will do that...

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
My latest cross country trip revealed the CSL coating applied last summer has completely worn off the hood and roof. When I washed the Titan after returning, it's apparent there's no more beading to the horizontal surfaces after eight months. I'm not too disappointed, the paint underneath still looks in good shape and had some measure of protection through our Colorado winter. Still, it's take another month or so before I wash, clay and apply any more CSL for the summer.

For those hoping for a no-maintenance coating that lasts years, these latest results appear to contradict those claims.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Amazingly, we had snow last night here in Denver. Past the middle of May, but I noticed how easily the frozen moisture rolled off the hood and roof of the Titan. Is it possible there's some traces of CSL left on the surface?

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Well, another summer has come and gone. For 2019, I washed, cleaned and clayed the hood, tops of the front fenders, a-pillars and roof before adding Blackfire sealant (rather than CSL) in the spring. So far, it's lasted three months and still beads water/looks good. It seems as though the CSL was more durable under snow and freezing temperatures.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts