Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I'm a new member here. I have been looking around for a while and y'all are awesome help. Please check out my current issue. I have done the search and read every post about these issues so if I have missed this sorry in advance.

I started getting the 0455 code a couple of months ago. I read the suggestions on here and took my evap valve off and cleaned it out, did not really seem dirty. Code went away for a few days. I bough a new gas cap and it did not help. I recently replaced the gas cap with another new one, this time a Stant which seems to give good results with members. Light is still on so I tested it again. This time I get 0455 and 0447. One of the times I took the evap valve off I tried putting power to it, it closed when power was applied and then opened when power was removed.

Nissan OBD-II Trouble Code P0447
Nissan OBD-II Trouble Code P0455

I will buy the valve if necessary, but since it was acting fine when I had it out of the truck and tested, would it still be the valve?

What else could it be?

Thanks a lot for helping, I have wanted a Titan since they came out but I feel like beating my head into a wall...:bangit:

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
How do you know it's acting fine?

When power is applied, it shuts the flow off between the two ports...this happens when the EVAP system does it's self test and because you also have a "gross leak" code, I'd be looking to see if that valve is fully sealing...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply loufish.

I cannot be positive that it is acting fine. I just know that when I applied power it shut without problems. I know there could still be a possibility that it is not getting a complete seal. I seen no traces of dirt or grit of any kind when I had it out.

What is the best way to make sure it is fully sealing?

Also, is there a way to test the connectors running to the valve?

Thanks!

One more thing to add. I do smell a very faint bit of gas when I come to a stop sometimes. Not sure if this helps.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, I bit the bullet and just ordered one. I REALLY hope this is the problem part. I am ready to see that SEL turn off. If not, I have an extra $95 piece of plastic. Cross your fingers for me Titan lovers.

I will post back with the results.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
What is the best way to make sure it is fully sealing?

Also, is there a way to test the connectors running to the valve?
Sorry, I didn't get back to you sooner...You can isolate the valve, apply 12 volts & ground then blow thru it...It's not a perfect test, but a start...

You can also check to see if you have 12 volts to the valve, because the ECU does the grounding to close it...

Remember to be very careful about probing around with a normal 12 volt test light, it's easy to ground the wrong circut and burn up an ECU...

·
Registered
335 Posts
nrc17gto, keep us posted on this I have the same issue and didnt really want to spend the cash on the part either, cuz I dont know if its the problem. I am going to do what lou recomended though to see if it does anything, good info thanks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can also check to see if you have 12 volts to the valve, because the ECU does the grounding to close it...

Remember to be very careful about probing around with a normal 12 volt test light, it's easy to ground the wrong circut and burn up an ECU...
loufish, I put the part on last Thursday 6/11/2009. Then I cleared the codes. My SEL came back on Friday evening. So far just the 0455 code.

I have not tested the 12 volts to the valve yet. I really want to take extra caution to not "burn up an ECU". I have decent knowledge about cars (gto in my user name was built by my dad and me) but this newer stuff kind of scares me.

Can you give me EXACT directions on testing this connection. I do not have a test light but I do have a multimeter.

Thanks in advance.

My love for this truck is fading fast....

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
Can you give me EXACT directions on testing this connection. I do not have a test light but I do have a multimeter.
Give me just a little of time, I'll PM you with what I find.
You did the right thing by not poking around if you not comfortable...you did the smart thing...:)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wanted to add this because it may spark some ideas.

I mentioned in one of my earlier post that I could smell a bit of gas. Yesterday I narrowed down a bit where I could smell it from. It seems to be coming from between the bed and cab. I only checked the driver's side so it may be on pass side as well. I could not smell any around the gas cap or under the hood.

It is smelling a little stronger now than it did when the ses light first started coming on. I plan on getting up under the truck in the next day or so and poking around for any drips. Let me know if you have any thoughts.

Thanks,
Nick

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
I'm sorry I haven't had a chance to PM you...but your smell of gas indicates a problem with the EVAP system, as the codes are telling you...
Look/find the loose or fallen off hose for the tank vents including lines that run anywhere under the truck...

You may need a "Smoke Test" where a smoke generator is hooked to a EVAP port, and smoke is pumped into the entire EVAP system...Any leak will be "smoking"....it's a very cool way to test!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Its ok about the PM. It does seem like it would be a cool way to test and I have never actually seen it done. I will get under the truck this weekend and try to find any loose hoses.

The one that runs off of the evap valve, there is not supposed to be anything on the other end of it is there? Mine is just run into a hole attached to the truck bed.

Thanks for all the help.
Nick

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alright, I think I have it fixed. Here is what I found. I removed the filler panel in front of the driver's side rear wheel. There was a small plastic tube that is part of the gas filler vent, about a foot long. It also attached to the gas tank. It was eat up on top, not on bottom where you could easily see. It appears that some neighborhood squirrels were bored one night and decided to try out vandelism...

I replaced the tube with a 5/16" piece of rubber gas line hose. I am going to drive the truck tomorrow and hopefully the light will go off.

The hose cost me a total of $1.52. I wish I would have seen this before I replaced the evap valve and the gas caps.

Thanks for all the help and I hope this will help someone else out.

Nick

Attachments

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
Look/find the loose or fallen off hose for the tank vents
....And there you are....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Solved: Codes 0447 and 0455

Well, as you could have guessed. The light went off. It actually went off last night after about a 5 mile trip. :redblob" I hope I never see that light again!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts