Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I tried to search to see if this would be a repeat, and our search tool seems to bring back some rather useless things. Anyway...The other day I was running late. Had a cup of coffee made and realized I needed to get the heck out of the house. Ran out the door with open mug, set it on the center console, started the truck and then walked around to the mailbox to deposit a recent netfix rental. Came back around and jumped into the truck, while thinking of how great that cup o joe was gonna taste, and nailed it with my elbow. Coffee went all over the passenger seat, center console, some on the drivers seat, all over the carpet under the seats and about 1/4 of it got caught by the weathertechs in the backseat. Now with this being said and already getting tired of the coffee scent. What is the best approach at getting this crap out of the seats. I figure i'm in for them to be stained in one way or another. Whether it be the coffee itself or the cleaner. I'm going to pull the passenger seat completely out as well as the center console and bring them in the house. I was thinking i'd just use the carpet cleaner with the hand attachment and just go over them a couple times. A buddy has a portable green machine cleaner that i'll do the carpet with. Any other suggestions?

·
Premium Member
141,094 Posts
A buddy has a portable green machine cleaner that i'll do the carpet with. Any other suggestions?
That thing will do the seats too.

·
Registered
132 Posts
"Tough Stuff" carpet/upholstery cleaner should work. I did the same thing in my '04 with the charcoal cloth and it worked great. Took a little time and elbow grease!

-Lab

·
Premium Member
5,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Trust me, I've fully considered going the leather route, but we just found out a week ago that we are about to be parents, so I don't think that's an expense I'm going to be able to put out at this point. I wish I had someone around to drop it off to and have it professionally done for a reasonable price, but on a quick search the closest i've found was about an hour drive or so. My wife volunteered to work on the seats once I brought them in the house, so i'm not worried about time spent. I just don't want it to be terribly noticeable. I'll probably try the oxy woolite stuff with the combo of that steam cleaner. I finally lifted the lid to the console today...I've got a nasty puddle of half dried coffee in there as well. So looks like i'll be kicking back with some homebrew, a movie, roll of paper towels, some all surface cleaner, and q tips cleaning that mess up.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Trust me, I've fully considered going the leather route, but we just found out a week ago that we are about to be parents, so I don't think that's an expense I'm going to be able to put out at this point. I wish I had someone around to drop it off to and have it professionally done for a reasonable price, but on a quick search the closest i've found was about an hour drive or so. My wife volunteered to work on the seats once I brought them in the house, so i'm not worried about time spent. I just don't want it to be terribly noticeable. I'll probably try the oxy woolite stuff with the combo of that steam cleaner. I finally lifted the lid to the console today...I've got a nasty puddle of half dried coffee in there as well. So looks like i'll be kicking back with some homebrew, a movie, roll of paper towels, some all surface cleaner, and q tips cleaning that mess up.
Congrats on the addition. I have 3 and between them I was going nuts trying to clean the stains out on a weekly basis so on my prior 07 SE, leather was a sanity saver...lol When I traded for the Pro4x it had to have leather as well as my wife's car. Its so easy now but also understand the word budget now...lol Hope you get out.

·
Banned
12,740 Posts
I just had my truck detailed right before the huntington beach meet. Had coke,root beer,sprite & dr pepper spilled in the middle of the passenger seat and coffee that i spilled on my lap while trying to avoid an accident. After i spilled the drinks on the passenger seat from that stupid drink carrier the first time, the second through forth time wasn't so bad. $100 to have a brand used truck is pretty awesome.

·
Premium Member
5,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If only I lived in a place where detailers lived everywhere...I'm jealous, but a bit of work I think it'll be good as new. If your seats didn't stain then there is hope!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Dave - First and foremost, congrats on the new addition to the family! My recommendation would by OxiClean. You can pick those up from Autozone or WalMart.

Here are some directions:

Remover Powder

Do not use on any non-washable fabric (i.e. silk, wool, leather, suede, etc).
Always test first on an inconspicuous area before using.

1. Remove as much of the excess stain as possible. First use a wet paper hand towel and tap over stain several times.
2. Mix OxiClean® Versatile Stain Remover powder with water (asdirected on packaging). Be sure that powder is completely dissolved.
3. Apply solution to stain, rub and wait 1 to 5 minutes. Do not allow to dry on fabric.
4. Blot well with a white towel.
5. Rinse thoroughly and allow to dry.
6. Repeat as necessary.

Source:
OxiClean - Solution Details

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
5,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quest,Thanks! Wife and I are pretty excited for September! Thanks for the tip as well. I have a costco size box of that sitting at the house right now too! The coffee is completely dried in, and the seats are currently stained. I have the center console sitting in my office right now and attempted a once around with the cleaning machine. Still got a lot of it out, but I can see exactly where it ran down the seats at. I'll try the oxy stuff and then hit it with the cleaning machine again. Hopefully that'll remove the stain. If not, at least the coffee scent will be gone and it will be a lasting memory of what not to do.

·
Premium Member
5,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, it's done, just waiting on them to dry now. I mixed the oxy clean as per the box, sprayed it on and let it soak for a bit. Then I busted out the portable cleaner and went nuts with it! Pretty sure I got all the coffee out of them. Used a spray bottle of hot water and just did a good soaking rinse to get any leftover soap out. Wife walked in and said they look brand new. Took about an hour and a half per seat, plus a good hour or so on the interior carpet. I was actually really surprised on the amount of general dirt that came up as well, the seams just hold the stuff in there. I knew my passenger seat got the most of it, but after a while I would have believed that a couple cups were spilled! Now for it all to dry so I can put the interior back together. Thanks for the suggestions!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey all, I tried to search to see if this would be a repeat, and our search tool seems to bring back some rather useless things. Anyway...The other day I was running late. Had a cup of coffee made and realized I needed to get the heck out of the house. Ran out the door with open mug, set it on the center console, started the truck and then walked around to the mailbox to deposit a recent netfix rental. Came back around and jumped into the truck, while thinking of how great that cup o joe was gonna taste, and nailed it with my elbow. Coffee went all over the passenger seat, center console, some on the drivers seat, all over the carpet under the seats and about 1/4 of it got caught by the weathertechs in the backseat. Now with this being said and already getting tired of the coffee scent. What is the best approach at getting this crap out of the seats. I figure i'm in for them to be stained in one way or another. Whether it be the coffee itself or the cleaner. I'm going to pull the passenger seat completely out as well as the center console and bring them in the house. I was thinking i'd just use the carpet cleaner with the hand attachment and just go over them a couple times. A buddy has a portable green machine cleaner that i'll do the carpet with. Any other suggestions?
You are going to make a mess out of your vehicle, its just a simple "spill" why are you complicating it with taking out things? What I will suggest is that you get interior steam cleaning done on your vehicle from a professional business like Detailxperts, take a look at there website they might have a franchise in your area. What steam cleaning does is (as it sounds) it uses steam to clean and as steam is on very high temp, normally most of the stains are taken out completely, and as its steams it goes and cleanse where nothing else can(tight spots). I don't know about others or if its a feature of steam cleaning but when I got my car steam cleaned from DetailXperts after a fishing trip (Yes the Mahi was great!) they were able to clear out all the smell the fish left there, your's is just "Coffee" I bet that will not be that hard.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts