Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 08 long bed quad cab SE. I have the 8"CST lift on it with front pro comp coil overs and rear pro comp MX6 shocks. I have the coil overs set to the lowest level and have the rear shocks set all the way to the softest level. I want something that will have a smoother ride. What is currently installed is too stiff. Im wondering what everyone else is using. Also if I do go and decide to buy new coil overs and rear shocks. Does anyone have any idea as to what the size of coil overs or size of rear shocks I will need? I am currently deployed so its not like I can go and look at my truck right now. Thanks for everyones inputs.

·
Registered
902 Posts
On prgproduct.com he has a very good description on how all the coil overs ride and he says the Radflo will ride the smoothest on and offroad out of all the coil overs avalable.

Here is some info per Greg.

(Fox- will bolt onto any of the kits except Rancho (will work on Rancho w/ aftermarket UCA). These are an emulsion shock, meaning there is no internal or external reservoir. These are great shocks but all the others offer at least an internal res. which makes for more consistent damping. These also come with a CST spec'd spring, most users notice a lot of premature spring sag and these springs are too stiff for most 2wd. The springs can be upgraded but will cost an extra $200. These typically ride pretty smooth with fairly good bottoming resistance but not as good as the others. *** the extra price of better springs and these are by far the most expensive of the bunch.

Radflo 2.5" dia. coilovers- Im going to lump the internal and external reservoir versions into one group as they function the same on our titans. These offer more potential travel then the Fox if using an aftermarket upper a-arm and come with different Eibach springs for 2 or 4wd titans. Radflo is a custom shock manufacturer and builds these shocks for PRG Products and PRG then builds the upper mounts and supplies the springs and does the finally assembly. These are the smoothest riding of all the coilovers, with very good bottoming resistance. The internal res version are about the same price as the Fox, the external are about $150 more.

Sway-a-Way- These are built and valved for PRG products in the same way the Radflos are built for us. We order the shocks bare and built to a certain length and certain valving. We then provide the appropriate Eibach spring and do the final assembly. These are the most aggressively valved coilovers available. The ride is still great but is a bit more firm than the Radflos.

DRE- no longer available for the bracket lifted titans. These are a great shock, but the limited spring length (same issue the Fox has) meant that many users were not able to get the height they wanted.

Fabtech stage 2- These are really a copy of the SAW but most people have issues with them. I don’t have a lot of personal experience with them but the valving and spring seem to be way off and many people have had noise issues. I have no experience with FT rear high-end shocks, so no comment on them.

Procomp stage 2- As you can see im a big fan of the PC lift kit. But their coilovers have had many issues. Lately people seem to be happier with them and the price is good, but we don’t sell them because they are not serviceable and have a pretty checkered past. Thier mx-6 rear shocks seem good, and most people like them.

Rear shocks
Bilstein-these are typically the 5100 (5125 or5150 also) series and are a generic length and valving. The ends need to be modified to fit a Titan properly. Since Bilstein offers so many configurations, the best option is just to know the way each shock works and then pick the best one for the application. These are a "mono-tube" design just like the high end race shocks but are not serviceable and use rubber mounts on the ends, where a true race shock will use a bearing.

CST- These are made by Edelbrock and are a very good shock. Only issue is that there are not a lot of valving choices. Many manufacturers re-badge the Edlebrocks as their premium line, and they get a choice of say 4 or 5 valving options. If that particular valving works, perfect.

DRE-there are no long shocks available for the lifted Titans. They only have shocks for Titans with up to about 2" of lift.

Radflo-These are a 2" dia body race shock. rebuildabel, revalvable. These have an external reservoir and are custom valved for the titan. We offer these in 3 different lengths to get the optimum performance form your lift. These are, in most opinions, the best riding of all the available shocks for the Titan. we set these up as to make then 100% bolt on and to keep the bearing (uni ball) mounts.

Sway-a-Way- These are a 2.25" body and a very beautiful shock. Very close in performance to the Radflo. These are valved specifically for the Titan and we offer these in 2 lengths to cover all the applications. These are also a direct bolt-on.

Fox- there is not direct bolt on application. Typically the bearing mounts are pressed out and a urethane bushing is installed. There are not Titan specific 2.0 rear Fox shocks. Although many shops will sell them, you are getting a generic shock, not one fitted or designed for the rear of a titan.

all white-bodied-shocks-- Typically made by Tenneco and rebadged by Rancho, Procomp, Fabtech, blah, blah ,blah. I’m not going in to the details here, but these are all non-servicable disposable shocks. Just like the factory parts but with better stickers.)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts