Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have got all four of my new Bilstein 5100s and am hoping to install them this weekend or next weekend. I just want to make sure I have everything I need so I don't run into any delays. What I am wondering is:

-I have been calling part shops and getting pricing for the spring isolators/insulators (the piece that goes on the pigtail and prevents metal-to-metal contact with the perch), I even checked rock auto. Everyone tells me that there are only "uppers" available. Shouldn't both ends (upper AND lower) have a isolator/insulator to prevent the metal-to-metal contact in the perches? Could/should I just buy two sets of the "uppers" and use one set on the lower pigtail?

-What is the correct name for these, lol? Are they INSULATORS or ISOLATORS???

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I would call them isolators. And no, there are none for the bottom. the bottom of the coil has a grey plastic boot on it to prevent metal to metal contact with the lower spring perch. Check out the "5100's install and Tips" sticky in the suspension section; it has pics of the plastic around the bottom of the coil.

EDIT: i reread your question. There is a rubber bushing that goes on top of the spring that prevents metal to metal contact with the upper mount, and the grey bot at the other. No metal to metal contact anywhere from the factory.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Bumping this thread. I just purchased some Moog 4X4 springs and was wondering about the plastic that is wrapped on the very bottom coil like the OEM springs. Do I remove the plastic and put on the new Moog springs or can I just put some hose from an auto parts store on the last coil where it sits on the shock perch?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Anyone?

·
Registered
41 Posts
This is an old thread, but I'm going to bump it anyways. I too need the lower isolators, as the Moog springs didn't come with any, and I'm not disassembling the stock struts.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Everyone!

I am in the process of changing out my front struts with Billy 4600s. I am experimenting with buying Moog and Energy Suspension lower insulators to put under the coils and if they don't fit I just return them.(specs on these is a joke) I was told by Energy Suspension representatives that Bilstein doesn't share their specs, so aftermarket producers of insulators (lower spring seat) don't make them for their struts/shocks. Like you, the plastic cover thingy on the pigtails is an eyesore for me. It's old and cracked and full of rust from the original struts. And like you I have searched Nissan's specs and found nothing for this "part". I will update this post when I find an insulator that will fit the bottom of the Bilstein 4600 spring seat. For those that aren't replacing with Bisteins, I did have the idea of dipping the pigtails in a rubber product several times to build up a thick plastic/rubber coating. Soooo... if I don't find an insulator that will be the option I choose. The link is below to one such plastic dip.

Tim

1 Gallon Plasti Dip - Blue

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts