Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to put a slightly higher spring rate on my Dirt logic (sway a way) coilovers. I have read and read but I can not find how to get the coil off, everthing I read about rebuilding shocks just start by saying remove the coil and coil hardware but how. Also is this done with a spring compressor or not no articles make any mention of it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I should have known you were going to say something like that, even though all coilovers come apart the same basic way. Let me try again, how do you remove the coil from a coilover. Who would I call now?

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
The only experience I have working on coilovers is on Dirt Late Model and ATV shocks. If these are similar, you need to use a spanner wrench to loosen/remove the jam nut, then start loosening the adjuster nut at the top of the spring. Eventually, it will back off enough to relieve the compression on the spring and the spring is just sitting there with alot of slop. The adjuster nut can then be removed from the shock body. Remove the spring off the body. Reinstall new spring and adjuster/lock nuts.

If the shocks have rezzy's on them, then the hose for the rezzy is probably in the way (maybe there is enough room to slip the rezzy/hose through the spring without damaging the hose???). I think the bottom spring retainer mechanism on these shocks are different than what I am familiar with. It should be able to be removed somehow once you've relieved the tension on the spring via the adjuster nut. Then you can slip the spring off the bottom of the shock.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What do I do if I have the preload adjuster all the way up (spring unloaded ) and there is still tension on the spring? Your way is what I have always though but I still have spring tension when adjuster is all the way up.

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
Go to autozone or similar parts store and buy/rent a spring compressor. That would be my only solution.

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
newguy said:
Yeah I have one, just no one ever says anything about using one so I was un sure.
That's because noone ever really has to tear into them except for Greg. I have heard that the CST/Fox coilovers have springs that tend to sag after awhile.

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
Because they are assuming like most people you can remove the coil fromt he shock without detailed instructions. Guess they are wrong.

·
Supporting Vendor (Gold)
1,897 Posts
First, your coil overs are built in-house at Fabtech. They may look like SAW but are in no way made by SAW. Fabtech uses a really, really long spring on thier Titan coilovers (its actually left over coils from the f150 shocks). You really need to go to a shop to get those coils off using a high-end spring compressor, the type you rent probably wont work. Why do you need heavier coils, the ones you have are usually way too stiff. If the truck is bottoming, it needs to be revalved.

·
Registered
9,528 Posts
kartman said:
Because they are assuming like most people you can remove the coil fromt he shock without detailed instructions. Guess they are wrong.

Kartman's posts always give me that warm fuzzy feeling.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I want stiffer springs becuase I am going to not run a sway bar. Reading on here it seems to be the way to go. I have mine off now but it seems to have a little too much body roll to be safe so I was looking to get a stiffer spring on. Also I though Fabtech had SAW build their dirt logic shocks until they started making them in house off SAW design?

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I don't think stiffer springs is the answer. Most of these lift company coilovers (Pro Comp, Fabtech, etc.) already use springs that are too stiff. You could actually run a softer coil with the proper valving and have an overall better riding and handling shock.

I know its not a Titan, but my 7500-lb Ram runs a coil about 20% softer than stock, and with my 2.5 Kings valved the way they are they sure are tough to bottom, but ride awesome!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Who did your shock work? Do they go out and test it over bumps and stuff to get the right valving or what? I know mine are "fagtech" shocks but they all are the same basic set up so with some valving and springs I can have a pretty nice set up right? I know there are a few places here in town that do valving I might have to give them a call. I was thinking a one up spring because I have read thats what a few people have done when they removed their sway bar.

·
Registered
9,528 Posts
kartman said:
about goddamn time corky.

If you're ever in the NW...I'll buy the beer...you crack me up.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts