Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anyone think this would work. What if you tapped into a AC vent hose and ran it out side into the side of the air box before the filter of course....then with th AC on hi, you would definatly get cold air into the intake....a dremel a 2 or 3 dia inch peice of air duct and some time it could be done.....any ideas.....

·
Registered
321 Posts
I think any power gained would be offset by the power lost by running the AC in the first place......

·
Registered
758 Posts
I rigged a fan to blow ouside air directly into the airbox with a switch. I think it works great for purging the hot air in there at a stop.

·
Registered
321 Posts
rgregory1965 said:
I live in Arizona....my AC is onn everyday anyway
Werd....

Give it a shot. Who knows....

·
Registered
38 Posts
rgregory1965 said:
I live in Arizona....my AC is onn everyday anyway
At WOT with the RPM's up, I'm sure you'll be pulling all the air from the ventilation system in the truck. Also, at any RPM, the engine noise coming out from the vents would be pretty extreme I think.

To put it in perspective, at peak RPM, the Titan is pulling roughly the equivalent of 10 times as much as the average household bathroom ventilation fan (70 CFM vs. 700 CFM).

I hate to throw a wet blanket on it, but... :p

·
Registered
801 Posts
Just pack the intake in dry ice with some homeade cooler under and over the box, I've got a buddy that does this at the drag strip. He claims it works

·
Registered
561 Posts
TripleC said:
i think it would create a rip in the space time continueum.
Or suck you into the air vents at a minimum. :)

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
TripleC said:
i think it would create a rip in the space time continuum.
Lol, I bet you're fun at parties.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I have to agree with baseballfanz, the AC might not be cold enough. I have seen where they are using CO2 to cool the air down infront of intercoolers (on a 350Z yet!!) and got about 100hp boost due to this super cold air...this might work in the airbox if the CO2 went thru sealed tubes that are sealed thru the airbox, making the air inside super cold.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
on a normal day i doubt it would do much to an N/A truck. I was hoping it could help yield the performance of a cold day on a hot one. Someone buy the snow performancekit and try it lol. Its only like 200-300 bucks and methanol is cheap. like a buck a gallon

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
wierd... I was thinking of something similar yesterday (and no I didn't see your post first lol) but my thinking was using a tube hooked to an o2 tank or a dewar with some liquified o2 or nitrogen to feed it to feed it. I would never do something like it but just wierd that I was thinking what would happen if i did this... yesterday. lol

·
Registered
602 Posts
i actually posted this a couple of weeks ago. i think u should try it i have really been considering it. just got a volant and they have the inlet on the bottom for the ram air option was thinking this would be perfect for that. it has been in the 90's for a couple of weeks and this week it dropped and could not believe the preformance diff. was thinking u would need a fan at the box to help pull the air though the tube. and run it from thefloor vents. so all u would need to do is switch it to the floor. and maybe a flap so when it is not blowing air it will close the vent. but i think it is well worth the shot

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
dksfowler said:
i actually posted this a couple of weeks ago. i think u should try it i have really been considering it. just got a volant and they have the inlet on the bottom for the ram air option was thinking this would be perfect for that. it has been in the 90's for a couple of weeks and this week it dropped and could not believe the preformance diff. was thinking u would need a fan at the box to help pull the air though the tube. and run it from thefloor vents. so all u would need to do is switch it to the floor. and maybe a flap so when it is not blowing air it will close the vent. but i think it is well worth the shot
you welcome to try it but the tube feeds air at wot so fast a fan could never catch up. best chance would be injection going through the tube after the maf sensor. by that time i would just rather do n20 lol

·
Registered
341 Posts
These setups have been tried for decades with varying success. The best setup was from the last concept F-150 Lightning that used a "super cooler" that used the A/C system to chill the coolant running through the air-to-water intercooler those trucks use. Supposed to be worth 50 - 75 hp gain during WOT while it lasted and took about 5 minutes of normal driving to reset. Basically like having a 50 shot of nitrous that recycled itself. Any other setup that tried to cool the air intake either directly or chill the air entering the intake would prove to be fruitless as the expense vs. hp gained would be prohibitive on naturally aspirated vehicles. Water/methanol works on NA engines that are very high compression that would require race fuel anyways. Keep in mind the MAF systems your trucks use are multi-sensor types and if you tried to artificially cool the air without respect to the MAF meter you'll probably have driveability problems (and lose power).

1 - 20 of 24 Posts