Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys recommend to get for a cold air intake for 06 Titan SE? My friend spent the money on a K&N and it throws his check engine light because of the mass air flow sensor, what ones do you guys have and are there any problems with it? I live in Vermont and check engine light fails our new inspection laws and don’t want any problems

·
Registered
893 Posts
There's not much to be gained with a CAI. The factory airbox has the benefit of plenty of R&D, has a straight shot into the plenum and is built of composite materials that don't heat up as quickly as some of the aftermarket CAIs I've seen.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
If your CAI is throwing a code you're doing something wrong. If it fouled his MAF he just needs to clean it and not oil the filter as much. Only problem I've had with my AirAid dry filter is I lost 1-1.5 MPG with it. There's a thread that discusses it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
There's not much to be gained with a CAI. The factory airbox has the benefit of plenty of R&D, has a straight shot into the plenum and is built of composite materials that don't heat up as quickly as some of the aftermarket CAIs I've seen.
Agree totally. It may sound better when you open it up on the highway thats about it. I would save your money, don't mess with what already works well.

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
What do you guys recommend to get for a cold air intake for 06 Titan SE? My friend spent the money on a K&N and it throws his check engine light because of the mass air flow sensor, what ones do you guys have and are there any problems with it? I live in Vermont and check engine light fails our new inspection laws and don’t want any problems
Check your hose clamps, make sure their snug don't overtighten. I had one come lose after 100's of miles and it was letting in unmetered air threw a MAF code. Also Check MAF connector and it's seal to CAI pipe.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm well that’s not encouraging lol unfortunately the box part around the filter of the Air intake that’s stock has warped from heat over the years and there’s a gap in the lid now that lets dust in so that’s why I was leaning towards replacing it with a CIA. In hopes of running a bit better mileage as well

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hmm well that’s not encouraging lol unfortunately the box part around the filter of the Air intake that’s stock has warped from heat over the years and there’s a gap in the lid now that lets dust in so that’s why I was leaning towards replacing it with a CIA. In hopes of running a bit better mileage as well
The factory air intake works really well. It's a fully sealed system which is what you want. I know some of the CAIs are semi-sealed, meaning it relies on the hood to sort of close the system off. I would drop in a higher flow air filter such as an AEM or K&N and call it a day. But, since you now say that your box is warped, if you do go the CAI route choose a sealed box like Volant.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Plenty of replacement OEM air intake parts in salvage yards. You can replace the warped airbox faster and cheap too!

·
Registered
172 Posts
I do have the Volant on my Titan. I cant say that it increases HP nor looses HP but it does look nice. I have had no problems at all with it. I will say when I originally installed it the truck did run a little smoother from idle to full acceleration. It is a really nice sealed system with a cleanable cone style filter.

Also it is CA compliant that was a plus for me.

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
Plenty of replacement OEM air intake parts in salvage yards. You can replace the warped airbox faster and cheap too!
There's plenty of OEM ones laying in K&N boxes in folks garages or attics too ;)

:jester:

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
I personally felt like I was able to tell a difference in pickup with my CAI. I didn't have it dyno'd or anything so no real results, but that's just my input.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just installed a NISMO in my 2015. Notice pickup, and went from an angry moan to a growl.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts