Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
man this damn thing is really starting to pis$ me off, everytime i crank it up the thing knocks for 5-15 seconds..... ive been told it's normal but i really dont give a damn how many folks tell me it's normal, either nissan fixes it or im gonna drive it right through their fuc&$%ing dealership window........ sorry i just need to vent, anyone else having this problem?

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
titanical said:
man this damn thing is really starting to pis$ me off, everytime i crank it up the thing knocks for 5-15 seconds..... ive been told it's normal but i really dont give a damn how many folks tell me it's normal, either nissan fixes it or im gonna drive it right through their fuc&$%ing dealership window........ sorry i just need to vent, anyone else having this problem?
Are you using a Fram oil filter? If so DITCH IT!!! They'll do that because they use a crappy cardboard anti-flowback valve. Use a good oil filter and make sure your oil is full. A LITTLE tap for a second or two is normal. The length & severity of it differ between oils and filters. Most have had great luck using Mobil1 0W-40 fully synthetic.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have heard of piston slap that will do that. I havnt heard of it with the titan yet doesnt sound normal to me.

·
Registered
142 Posts
titanical said:
mine has done that twice in the 27k miles that i've owned it. both times, for about 3-4 seconds, it sounded like a rod was about to fly out the side of the block.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
HudsonValleyTitan said:
Are you using a Fram oil filter? If so DITCH IT!!! They'll do that because they use a crappy cardboard anti-flowback valve. Use a good oil filter and make sure your oil is full. A LITTLE tap for a second or two is normal. The length & severity of it differ between oils and filters. Most have had great luck using Mobil1 0W-40 fully synthetic.
im using oem nissan filters, and havoline 10w30 oil......

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
titanical said:

I say it's not normal. Mine is as quiet as a mouse at cold startup. Only time I had a clattering at startup is when my serpentine belt got glazed. It sounded like a bad timing chain tensioner (marbles in a can sound). The noise lasted for about 30-45 seconds and slowly faded away. The belt only had 5000 miles on it when this started to happen.

To test if that is the problem, just lightly spray some water on the underside of the belt while the noise is present, if it goes away immediately, then it is a bad belt. If the noise does not go away it's a bearing or something else.

Your problem just might be a bad timing chain tensioner or something more.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sudden urge said:
I say it's not normal. Mine is as quiet as a mouse at cold startup. Only time I had a clattering at startup is when my serpentine belt got glazed. It sounded like a bad timing chain tensioner (marbles in a can sound). The noise lasted for about 30-45 seconds and slowly faded away. The belt only had 5000 miles on it when this started to happen.

To test if that is the problem, just lightly spray some water on the underside of the belt while the noise is present, if it goes away immediately, then it is a bad belt. If the noise does not go away it's a bearing or something else.

Your problem just might be a bad timing chain tensioner or something more.
no way..... it's definitely internal!...... and its in the top end well theres a possibility it could be in the bottom end, but it's definitely internal, i know that my best friend has a titan and it is as clean sounding as it can be....

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
titanical said:
no way..... it's definitely internal!...... and its in the top end well theres a possibility it could be in the bottom end, but it's definitely internal, i know that my best friend has a titan and it is as clean sounding as it can be....

Well I hope you get the problem solved. I'm with you on this and say it's not normal.

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
titanical said:
im using oem nissan filters, and havoline 10w30 oil......
Even if you don't want to go synthetic from now on, try using a Purolator oil filter (Wix, AC Delco, CarQuest are also good) and Mobil1 synthetic 5w/30 or 0w/40 at your next change. If that doesn't do it, I'll be VERY surprised.

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
Me again, I'm using regular 5w-30 Pennzoil and a Nissan filter, and it is absolutely quiet at cold startup and whenever. There I go again jinxing myself...lol.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Check the Nissan filter you are using. All the filters I have been buying from the dealer have been made in Japan. The last two filters I purchased from the same dealer, say they are made in China. I know they are to be made to Nissan specs and it says "Genuine Nissan Part" on the box, but..........? Even the damn box it comes in is thinner cardboard than the Japanese made filter box.

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
Mr.TEE said:
Check the Nissan filter you are using. All the filters I have been buying from the dealer have been made in Japan. The last two filters I purchased from the same dealer, say they are made in China. I know they are to be made to Nissan specs and it says "Genuine Nissan Part" on the box, but..........? Even the damn box it comes in is thinner cardboard than the Japanese made filter box.

Good catch. Yeah, I still say it's the oil filter. I had an oil starvation tap problem on my 95 Maxima while using a Fram filter when first started up. Changed to Purolator after seeing a few oil filter tests showing it to be one of the tops, and never went back.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts