Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 2005 titan LE 4X4 offroad. I live in Florida but go up north from time to time. In the cold winter climate my truck will randomly hiccup and stutter here and there. I thought at first it was moisture in my intake from snow, but have never verified that. I also thought maybe the truck was sensing a slip and cutting the engine for a split second. I have absolutely zero problems outside of the cold weather so I never messed with it. Well now I'm about to move to Utah and would like to fix this before it's a problem again. Has anyone else dealt with this? What was the fix?

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
idk about snow getting into you intake...seems pretty unlikely to me. if its killing the engine because it engages the "slip", then it would say that accordingly on your cluster. not really sure why it would be choking up like that...fuel pump maybe?? if you have a CAI and wnat to ensure water didnt get in there, take it off and look for water spots and residue in the intake tube as well as the MAF. bump for more ideas. good luck

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well it's not actually killing my engine. It seems more like a transmission slip and banging into gear or something but my fuel flow and battery voltage follows with it. It was almost a year ago that I was in that climate so I cant really check now. I can't see how it would be moisture because it never does it in the Florida rain. I'm hoping someone has had the same issue.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
i know there have been many IPBM relay issues w/ similar characteristics....try doing a search on that and see if its similar to yours. good luck

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have had the rear end slip on me all the time here in Alaska, and the engine has never limited power output.
Have you checked for water in your fluids?
Also what do you mean your "fuel flow and battery voltage follow with it"? I want to make sure I understand.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not sure about the IPBM. I've read about it on here and it seems to be a constant problem where as mine only happens in extreme cold and hasn't happened since a year ago when I was in that climate. I did check my fluids and they had no water in them. I don't believe the fuel was a factor because I filled up many times at various gas stations and still randomly had the problem till I left the extreme cold. I guess I could get a new relay just for $hits and giggles and swap it if it happens again.

What I meant by fuel flow and battery voltage followed is that I have a bulldog tripdog 3 computer and watched the display when the hiccup occured once. my voltage dropped slightly to 13 and fuel flow had a down spike too, but this was all only for a split second. No fault codes pop up either.

I don't mean to shoot everyone down. I really appreciate the help. If anyone had this problem they will know exactly what I'm talking about. Just hoping I'm not the only one!

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Yeah temperatures have dropped down to 30s-40s finally here in Daytona and I've noticed my truck has a rough start but I've only assumed that's because my battery is starting to go down south... I don't think it's my IPDM, and if it is I'm ready for it because I have my spare relay to replace it with when the time comes to actually swap it out.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I would definately try some 'dry gas' in the tank. Here in Alaska, if you fill when it's cold and park where it's warm (my garage is too full, but some have that luxury) the temp change will cause condensation to build up in the tank i.e water. My Titan is an '04 and I've seen some stupid cold temps with none of the problems you've mentioned. OR, you could call your dealer if you trust them. I hope you get it fixed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I know what you are talking about, cold weather hiccups is exactly what it feels like. I live in Toronto Canada, in the summers this problem never happens to me but in the winters every now and then my truck will do that little hiccup. The problem is direcly related to cold weather only.And it only happens when im at highway speeds, it never happens to me city driving. It deosn't happen very much maybe twice this winter so far but i would really like to fix this issue.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I know what you are talking about, cold weather hiccups is exactly what it feels like. I live in Toronto Canada, in the summers this problem never happens to me but in the winters every now and then my truck will do that little hiccup. The problem is directly related to cold weather only.And it only happens when I'm at highway speeds, it never happens to me city driving. It doesn't happen very much maybe twice this winter so far but i would really like to fix this issue.
Yep exactly. I just got the recall done that replaces the ecm relay. I was told that the problem was that it's a special relay with a diode in it that intermittently fails in extreme temperatures and causes the engine to cut out or die all together. Sounded sketchy to me, but I hope it's true. I haven't been in any extreme cold yet this year, but I will be an the end of this month. I also have read about people sucking moisture into intakes and it freezing on the mass flow air sensor causing hiccups and stuff. There's a sock type cover you can put on it but I forget the name of it right now. gonna try that too. Let me know if you figure anything out!

·
Registered
123 Posts
My 07 did the same thing when cold. Dash lights and gauges powered up and down. Do a search on Raconnol. The hard shifting ended with a burnt out clutch and a new transmission under warranty. Turns out the problem only went away when the IPDM
Was replaced. That last a year until this winter then when cold the gauges and headlights started to reset again. Got my 2nd IPDM on warranty this month and the cold weather issues completely disappeared. So I ordered a couple
of IDPM modules cause I am betting it's the module.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I would definately try some 'dry gas' in the tank. Here in Alaska, if you fill when it's cold and park where it's warm (my garage is too full, but some have that luxury) the temp change will cause condensation to build up in the tank i.e water. My Titan is an '04 and I've seen some stupid cold temps with none of the problems you've mentioned. OR, you could call your dealer if you trust them. I hope you get it fixed.
Dry Gas is a bad idea today, in the past it was truly the way to go! The problem today is that gas has ethanol in it, and that last thing you want to add is MORE alcohol to the fuel system (as in dry gas)....

Zack

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
I have no idea what this thread is about, but I live in a climate that covers temps from 100F to -20F and my titan idles and runs great at each extreme.

·
Registered
369 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I haven't been in any extreme temps yet this year, but will report back as soon as I am with a fix. After some research, I found that moisture has a tendency to get past a k&n filter and ice over the mass air flow sensor. Being that I run a k&n, I am putting on a moisture sock over the intake before the filter. Hope that does the trick. As for dry gas and power cutting out...that's not it. Like I said before, If your truck does it, you would know exactly what I'm talking about. It's very unmistakable

·
Registered
56 Posts
I haven't been in any extreme temps yet this year, but will report back as soon as I am with a fix. After some research, I found that moisture has a tendency to get past a k&n filter and ice over the mass air flow sensor. Being that I run a k&n, I am putting on a moisture sock over the intake before the filter. Hope that does the trick. As for dry gas and power cutting out...that's not it. Like I said before, If your truck does it, you would know exactly what I'm talking about. It's very unmistakable
Okay, let me know what you find out. I've been having this exact problem. It feels like your rear tires let loose, then hook up right away. Only in cold weather, but mine does it city and highway speeds.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have had the same issue with my 2009 from day one, only in cold weather. I just called the dealership this morning to finally get it in. I have hesitated doing so because it's VERY hard to reproduce and I know they will think I am nuts. It did it to me FOUR times today on my way to work. Coincidentally the highways were kinda wet and snowy, so of course they told me it's the anti-slip. I KNOW that it is not because it's happened on completely dry roads. I still got an entire schpeil about how the anti-slip will cut power when road conditions were slippery. I kept having to repeat myself that it has happened on COMPLETELY dry roads, and I'm not crazy.

Of course they told me they would have to reproduce the issue and had no clue what I was talking about. It is going in on Monday, but I'm doubtful they will do anything. PLEASE let me know what anyone else finds out, I really want this fixed!! It's a little nerve wracking when it happens because it feels like you have no control of the truck for a few seconds.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am having a similiar problem. My "hiccup" or jerking only occurs in very cold/windy /snowy conditions and at highway speeds. It feels kike something is locking up for a microsecond. It is very erratic and unprdictable. It might "jump" two times within a minute and then not do it again for 10---20 minutes. I have had it in to the dealer and they cannot find the cause. I also am looking for answers. I am half afraid to drive it with the family in it for fear something is going to lockup going down the interstate. I saw a post from january of 08 by "Dakota Titan" that describes the same problem. Can't seem to find him to see if he ever figured it out or do we just have to quit driving in blustery weather---NOT!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am moving to Utah this weekend from Florida so I'll let you know if it happens again. I had the recall done for my ecm relay. From what I understand, that was causing similar symptoms. I'm hoping that does the trick. I am 100% sure nothing is locking up. Mechanical things don't lock up and then free themselves without major aftermath damage. It's definitely electrical related. It's more like a temporary misfire. I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one with this problem though.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts