Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, yeah. I'm a Texas guy and I know that 20* is not all that cold to you northern folks. But my truck has never been in temperatures that cold, especially for an extended period of time. Are there any precautions or special considerations I need to take for the cold as far as the truck goes?

Thanks

·
Registered
792 Posts
You really shouldn't have to worry about 20* much other than your heater taking longer than you want to warm the truck up lol.

·
Premium Member
4,160 Posts
What he said ^

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
OK, yeah. I'm a Texas guy and I know that 20* is not all that cold to you northern folks. But my truck has never been in temperatures that cold, especially for an extended period of time. Are there any precautions or special considerations I need to take for the cold as far as the truck goes?

Thanks
1. Typically, radiator fluid if it's properly filled is not "cut" (adding in more water than is necessary.) Ensure that you've got the right mix.
2. Door locks. Generally moisture coming into a car door could freeze the locks. A little spray lube or better yet, de icer in the mechanism as a preventative measure is not a bad idea.
3. Don't have an ice scraper? Put a blanket on the windshield.
4. Want to reduce fogging on the inside? crack the windows to allow the interior and exterior temperatures to be the same.

If you really are concerned about snow for example, get these!
YouTube - Truck with Mattracks

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info guys. I think I'll be alright.

And Kronos, those tracks are so sick!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Even the heater taking a while is not that much of an issue. Last week it was -23 and with in 3 miles of driving at 50 my T was throwing out some heat. This thing is quicker to warm up than my old car.

·
Registered
761 Posts
HAHAHHAHA 20* right now would feel WARM!

I started my truck this morning and it was -20 ambient with about 15-20 mph winds, don't know the calculation for wind chill but I'm sure it would be cold. It hit -46, yes NEGATIVE 46 last night. This morning I let her warm up for about 10 minutes and when I went to drive away, steering was stiff at best, so I just took it real slow.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Right now -15 feels like -35. 82009 zip.

* WIND CHILL VALUES... LOWERING TO 35 TO 50 BELOW ZERO DURING THE EVENING HOURS TUESDAY... PERSISTING INTO WEDNESDAY MORNING.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
man i feel bad for you guys....75 deg during the day and 50 at night and im cold

·
Registered
360 Posts
The 14" of snow we are getting right now is the main reason I got the T! Nothing special to do except make sure the gas tank isn't empty and maybe use some heet if it gets to 0 anytime!

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I live in TX. I did not sign up for this.

·
Registered
761 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,587 Posts
I was just watching the news & it is -5 in north TX. My thermometer at the house says 21 with a pretty good breeze. It going to be a cold ride to work in the desiel.

·
Premium Member
4,160 Posts
I was just watching the news & it is -5 in north TX. My thermometer at the house says 21 with a pretty good breeze. It going to be a cold ride to work in the desiel.
remote start is a must for a diesel.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Did some searching but thought I'd ask anyway.

Speaking of cold weather, was -16 this morning when I fired the T up. Let it warm up for a little while and then started down the road.

Two questions from a newbie-

1- Started it up, hit defrost and noticed the front 2 windows had opened by about 1/2". I'm assuming this is an auto feature to regulate the pressure in the cab, is that correct?

2- TPMS light came on about a mile down the road and stayed on all the way to work (~17 miles). I quick checked the tires at a stoplight, all looked fine but I didn't check the actual pressure. I'm guessing this had to do with the extreme cold, but it didn't happen yesterday at -14. Tires are filled with Nitrogen, thought that would help but I've never had N in my tires before.

Truck is a 2010 CC PRO-4X, 5 days old with ~300 miles on it.

Thanks for any input.

·
Premium Member
4,160 Posts
Not sure why the windows rolled down. Tpms is really fussy with extreme cold so must likely that's why the light is on. Be careful though because the valve stems have O-rings and they can shrink in extreme coldness and leak air ( I learned that a month ago while up north, I woke up to a almost flat tire ) .

1 - 20 of 21 Posts