Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
so i havent driven my truck in 2 days and i open the hood today (w/o driving it still) to find that the upper radiator hose is sucked in (collapsed) at about the midway point on the hose...the truck has driven fine and the temp gauge has never gone past its normal point..the hose looks to be in good shape and the truck only has 11,000 miles on it...never had any problems with it

any ideas?

* i just opened the rad cap with engine still cold and the hose uncollapsed so my guess is the rad cap is bad because it should have opened to let the vaccum out?
* i also just ran the engine to normal op temp...no problems and after shutting off the engine the upper hose is still normal

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Im also looking for an answer. Same thing happened to me on two occasions. I opened the rad. cap and it went back to normal

·
Super Moderator
93,664 Posts
Personally, I'd be taking it back into the dealer and have them replace the hose.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I noticed this with my truck too. I'll have to ask the dealer about it soon because I only have 2000 km's left on my warranty.

·
Banned
1,183 Posts
That is a known issue with the Titan, at least for the 04 and 05 models. The fix turned out to be the radiator cap.
I don't know if this has been discussed on this site, but on another Titan site there are several threads on this.
Some members in addition to changing out the cap, also had a sturdier replacement hose made as the Titan's hose is is fairly weak.
Also, the members started to notice the collapsed hose at this time of year with the rapid over night temp. changes.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I see it after towing and working my 06 hard. It seems the vent on the reservoir, which is part of the pressure system...not like the old style, holds a vacuum. I don't know if changing the screw cap on the reservoir would help. Next time you see the hose collapsed, just unscrew the reservoir cap and you will see it release the vacuum.

·
Registered
779 Posts
anyone, anything....what say you ...???

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it was the rad cap...i have an 06 so it already has the "new" cap that replaces the older one that had alot of problems but since i've released the vaccum that one time it has not done it again...maybe my cap was screwed on wrong ?? if it does it again I will take it in to the dealer but in the meantime i've got my fingers crossed...:coolsmile

·
Registered
779 Posts
[SC]Titan said:
it was the rad cap...i have an 06 so it already has the "new" cap that replaces the older one that had alot of problems but since i've released the vaccum that one time it has not done it again...maybe my cap was screwed on wrong ?? if it does it again I will take it in to the dealer but in the meantime i've got my fingers crossed...:coolsmile
The radiator cap is a true cap with NO venting like traditional radiators. Our venting takes place on the reservoir cap. The reservoir is a flow thru design and part of the pressure system, that is why you see fluid moving from the upper reservoir hose out thru the bottom reservoir hose. Thus, the radiator cap should not be replaced with spring loaded traditional radiator cap.

My question is does the reservoir cap need to be replaced because of this? or is this not a problem.

Anyone?

·
Registered
618 Posts
I have seen this on my truck for a while and thought it was strange but when I turn the truck on it looks ok. I just thought it was some strange design. I never messed with it and have had no problems for over 30k miles. I think thats just how they are.

·
Super Moderator
36,349 Posts
4wheelpeel said:
I have seen this on my truck for a while and thought it was strange but when I turn the truck on it looks ok. I just thought it was some strange design. I never messed with it and have had no problems for over 30k miles. I think thats just how they are.
That's what I'm thinking too.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Well, there's no reason for the upper hose to collapse while running unless there is a severe blockage at the t-stat. The upper hose feeds coolant from the water pump to the radiator so it is under pressure, not suction like the lower hose. Add in the increased pressure due to heat expansion and a collapsed upper hose while running and...well, you're more likely to have a conversation with Big Foot. :D

The issue is the radiator cap, mine was defective in more than one way.

1) Poor seal caused it to spew coolant on my engine
2) It didn't allow coolant to flow in either direction to/from the recovery tank. This is critical, not only to keep the radiator full but to ensure the cooling system doesn't exceed the pressure limits.

After the dealer replaced the cap the coolant in the recovery tank finally started changing levels depending on if the engine was hot or cold.

The collapsed upper hose is due to the vacuum in the cooling system that happens as part of cooldown and the resulting contraction of the fluid. This should not happen, the cap should be regulating not only the hot pressure but also allow coolant to be pulled in from the recovery tank as the engine cools.

By cracking the rad cap to eliminate the vacuum you are allowing air to enter into your cooling system, if the rad cap still prevents the release of pressure when hot then the system cannot self-bleed and that air could end up super-heated in pockets which is not good.

Nissan has a new cap that doesn't have the issues like these defective ones.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Yahooligan said:
Well, there's no reason for the upper hose to collapse while running unless there is a severe blockage at the t-stat. The upper hose feeds coolant from the water pump to the radiator so it is under pressure, not suction like the lower hose. Add in the increased pressure due to heat expansion and a collapsed upper hose while running and...well, you're more likely to have a conversation with Big Foot. :D

The issue is the radiator cap, mine was defective in more than one way.

1) Poor seal caused it to spew coolant on my engine
2) It didn't allow coolant to flow in either direction to/from the recovery tank. This is critical, not only to keep the radiator full but to ensure the cooling system doesn't exceed the pressure limits.

After the dealer replaced the cap the coolant in the recovery tank finally started changing levels depending on if the engine was hot or cold.

The collapsed upper hose is due to the vacuum in the cooling system that happens as part of cooldown and the resulting contraction of the fluid. This should not happen, the cap should be regulating not only the hot pressure but also allow coolant to be pulled in from the recovery tank as the engine cools.

By cracking the rad cap to eliminate the vacuum you are allowing air to enter into your cooling system, if the rad cap still prevents the release of pressure when hot then the system cannot self-bleed and that air could end up super-heated in pockets which is not good.

Nissan has a new cap that doesn't have the issues like these defective ones.

we are saying when the motor is off it collapsed when its running it is fine.
I dont think its anything my temp has never been above normal and have never had one leak.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
this is very common and I simply just remove the overflow cap two turns and pressure comes out. I have the factory installed cap and 63K and that's my fix. I have had fluid blow out twice. Once from radiator cap and once from lower hose and both times on dynos with the stock thermostat in. I have since swapped stats and I have no problems with collapsed hoses or blown fluid. Maybe just lucky.???? Maybe not?

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
4wheelpeel said:
we are saying when the motor is off it collapsed when its running it is fine.
I dont think its anything my temp has never been above normal and have never had one leak.
You didn't fully read what I said, I guess.

Please re-read my post, sorry if it's not clear but it explains why this happens.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Something else to check, with the engine cool and off squeeze the radiator hose a few times and see if you can hear coolant swishing past the radiator cap. It should flow freely and you should see coolant movement inside the recovery tank.

If you don't get any coolant flowing through the cap and it feels like the system is sealed (Squeeze the hose and it gets firm) then the radiator cap is faulty.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yahooligan said:
Something else to check, with the engine cool and off squeeze the radiator hose a few times and see if you can hear coolant swishing past the radiator cap. It should flow freely and you should see coolant movement inside the recovery tank.

If you don't get any coolant flowing through the cap and it feels like the system is sealed (Squeeze the hose and it gets firm) then the radiator cap is faulty.
I have never noticed a compressed hose while the engine was running only when off and the engine was cold...however, this was after I had run the engine very hard

since i removed the rad cap and screwed it back on, i have not had any collapsed hose issues to speak of..which is why i said originally that it was the rad cap that causes the problem but for some reason some on here don't want to believe that (Learjet) even after nissan itself made a new rad cap to fix the problems with the old one like allowing coolant to spill into the engine bay

thanks for the info Yahooligan...

·
Registered
779 Posts
[SC]Titan said:
since i removed the rad cap and screwed it back on, i have not had any collapsed hose issues to speak of..which is why i said originally that it was the rad cap that causes the problem but for some reason some on here don't want to believe that (Learjet) even after nissan itself made a new rad cap to fix the problems with the old one like allowing coolant to spill into the engine bay

My 06 radiator cap will not restrict the fluid to the reservoir, it can flow freely. Maybe my cap is the new style, but it doesn't have the inner seal and spring like old style caps.

I see no way with my type cap, that the cap would vent to the atmosphere or leak, if properly sealed of course.

Just looking for a some sound answers that this will not cause problems.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I had the hood open on my truck and noticed the hose was collapse, I turned it on and it stayed collapsed for 2-3 minutes then went back to normal. I have also noticed lately that on start up there is water coming out of my exhaust. I know its from condensation but it seems like more than usual.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts