Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a couple 08 Pro 4x w/ the bench front seat I want. Both trucks come from Colorado. Are there any worries w/ rust and from the snow and salt I'm sure they have been exposed to. They both have low miles.

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
They mostly use magnesium chloride here in CO (at least in the Denver metro area), which does not seem quite as bad as regular salt for rusting out vehicles (for example, Pennsylvania and Michigan seem to be hideous from the pics I have seen), although it is a corrosive. They use sand also in CO, so it is not uncommon for vehicles to have cracked windshields and lots of paint chips on the front end.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Bestatchess is right. Salt really isn't used here in Colorado, but mag-chloride can be a problem if it isn't washed off from time to time throughout the winter - although along the front range our winters have been pretty mild for the last couple of years, so I wouldn't be to worried.

For a fellow board member - and if its close enough - I'd be happy to go check out the vehicles for you. Just send me a PM and we can get in contact with each other if you'd like

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. It will be a couple of months before I buy and if the truck is there and close enough I will send you a pm. Thanks a lot for the offer.

·
Premium Member
20,958 Posts
The mag chloride seems to affect the fake chrome stuff (badges, grille, etc) more than anything else.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have thought about moving to the Denver area, but the sand on the roads in the winter makes me think twice. People say cracked windshields from the rocks/sand is almost unavoidable.

Is it really that bad?

·
Premium Member
20,958 Posts
I have thought about moving to the Denver area, but the sand on the roads in the winter makes me think twice. People say cracked windshields from the rocks/sand is almost unavoidable.

Is it really that bad?
No, it's not that bad.

·
Registered
132 Posts

Is it really that bad?
Nope, not really. I did have one whack fixed on my windshield on my '08, but nothing else. My wife drives a LOT in her Santa Fe and we put a new windshield in her truck about every 2-3 years. ('05 Santa Fe, she put 135K on it driving for her work!)
The MagChloride on the roads drives me nuts- makes the fake chrome rust. :( Oh, well, just have to polish it up once in awhile!
I've lived here 40+ years, would not live anywhere else. Period.

-Lab

·
Premium Member
20,958 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
:werd: + 1

(Except for maybe Wyoming)
+2 except for Wyoming part. lol. Wouldn't live anywhere else. Offroading, fishing, remote camping. We get to see every season, and the beauty each one brings to this state.

Never had a broken windshield due to CO winters. I had one that got pretty dull/pitted from CO winters, but none broken. Def need to wax/polish our babies here, and if you want a good business to get into... self service car wash! Operates year round here, lmao. Damn mag chloride makes my gold Rodeo look white if I don't get it off there.

·
Premium Member
20,958 Posts
Colorado is full. Please move on....
You ain't just a woofin'. Climbing a 14'er is almost like I-25 at 4pm on a Friday.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Magnesium Chloride and Sodium Chloride are both salts; therefore, corrosive. You're only replacing one base element with another. Here's a CDOT study regarding corrosion effect: http://cospl.coalliance.org/fez/eserv/co:5153/tra210024internet.pdf

In addition to faux chrome as others have stated, be weary of aluminum wheels. Any exposed (unsealed) aluminum is vulnerable to corrosion. MgCl2 kills valve stems here in CO. Usually, two or three days after good snow there is a noticeable white buildup on vehicles. Dried MgCl2.

Hence why I hit the wash ASAP, especially the under body/suspension.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts