Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i Searched......When Im in cruise control and when it is accelerating around a bend or even straight away and I "cancel" it......I get a very distinct bump in the transmission. Also, if I am in manual mode and going throught the gears, when I downshift from 3rd to 2nd sometimes I get the same bump. Almost feels like your parked on a hill in park when you put in drive and feel the slake in rear end...just not as profound......Is this normal? BTW its 06 XE KC with BT and 20's, no lift but has the helper springs. I only mention the the 20's....well cuz you never know. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
58,355 Posts
Mine doesn't do this. It disengages very smoothly.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I get a similar bump if the truck is accelerating. The cancel is smooth otherwise. It's been doing it for the whole 3 years I've owned the truck so I doubt it's a big problem.

·
Registered
62 Posts
jasonator said:
So i Searched......When Im in cruise control and when it is accelerating around a bend or even straight away and I "cancel" it......I get a very distinct bump in the transmission. Also, if I am in manual mode and going throught the gears, when I downshift from 3rd to 2nd sometimes I get the same bump. Almost feels like your parked on a hill in park when you put in drive and feel the slake in rear end...just not as profound......Is this normal? BTW its 06 XE KC with BT and 20's, no lift but has the helper springs. I only mention the the 20's....well cuz you never know. Thanks in advance.

I have an 07 and notice that clunk sound at about 40 when i let off the gas it doesn't do it another time that i noticed.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have had this problem for some time now along with the thump when pressing or letting off of the accelerator. After 3 rear diffs, xfer case, and 2 transmissions, Nissan has helped the problem greatly. The last trans was the culprit. Nissan said that the replacement trans housed a new valve body and TCM.

There is still some good slack in the rear but I believe all Titans have this. However, some Titans thump and some do not. I think that the ones that do have the symptoms we are discussing need the new transmission.

Holler if you have any questions and I can tell you what I know.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Same thump for me. Does it when i press cancel on the cruise control at high speeds and sometimes if I give it gas when coasting. Im just keeping an eye on it, i told the dealer about it but it was when my trans cooler lines were leaking and the tranny was a quart low. They wrote it off as being associated with that but im going to bring it up next time around.

·
Registered
42 Posts
i'll join the club... it's done it since day one... dealer wont test drive it anywhere you can put the cruise on so i get the "can not duplicate" speach...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yep....Thump when under load and manually coming off cruise. Sounds like the whole driveline is unwinding from the torque.

Now I had something happen when in tow mode and using cruise while pulling a pop up trailer that was interesting. Started up hill and forgot to manually gear down while using the cruise (ya this works when towing BTW). Half way up the truck had automatically shifted from 5th through 4th then to 3rd...then a very loud thump - bang!

I thought I had just lost a universal or the rear end because we started slowing down in a big hurry. Pulled over to the side of the road (on the hill) and got out to check things underneath. Nothing seemed wrong. Turns out the cruise had disengaged under heavy load scaring the hell out of my wife and I.

·
Registered
68 Posts
The hint that my trans was the problem (probably should have been found from the get-go) was that my TCM was not talking to my truck computer. So, my trans was only in mechanical mode just doing mechanically what it was supposed to do. I would say this is a problem with some of you who are experiencing the same problem I had.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Same problem here, press cancel big thump. So now I learned to give a bit of gas while pressing cancel to alleviate the thump. It also does it if I cancel using the brake although not as bad.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I'll chime in also, got the "thump", I actually drove mine for a tech to monitor while driving, and all he said was that the torque converter was unlocking????? Been doing it since day one, June 04!

·
Registered
754 Posts
Titan4mde said:
I'll chime in also, got the "thump", I actually drove mine for a tech to monitor while driving, and all he said was that the torque converter was unlocking????? Been doing it since day one, June 04!
ok well with that said that makes like the 20th possible answer for our problems were having,from rear diff,tranny,tcm not working right with the ecu,now tq converter unlocking? What next? stealership gonna say run higher or lower oct fuel or check tire pressure or blinkerfliud? :blueblob: lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts