Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my copy of Trailer Boats and they have chosen the Titan as their Truck of the Year. In the upcoming March issue they will be matching the tow capabilities of the Titan against the others. Watch for it. They also have selected the Titan as their Project Truck which means every month they will have some performance item added to the truck and their appraisal as to the value of it. Should be interesting. www.trailerboats.com

·
Registered
339 Posts
Trapper L said:
Just got my copy of Trailer Boats and they have chosen the Titan as their Truck of the Year. In the upcoming March issue they will be matching the tow capabilities of the Titan against the others. Watch for it. They also have selected the Titan as their Project Truck which means every month they will have some performance item added to the truck and their appraisal as to the value of it. Should be interesting. www.trailerboats.com
Good website. I got some good towing tips from it. Let us know when they put the Titan project on there.

Thanks,
:jester:

·
Registered
250 Posts
Trapper L said:
Just got my copy of Trailer Boats and they have chosen the Titan as their Truck of the Year. In the upcoming March issue they will be matching the tow capabilities of the Titan against the others. Should be interesting. www.trailerboats.com
Yes, this will be very interesting. A lot of Chevy, Dodge, and Ford owners have already stated that the Titan can't pull beans because it has a 3.36 rear end ratio. They may end up having to eat crow.

·
Registered
21 Posts
outahere said:
Yes, this will be very interesting. A lot of Chevy, Dodge, and Ford owners have already stated that the Titan can't pull beans because it has a 3.36 rear end ratio. They may end up having to eat crow.

What they are doing is sneaky and misleading. The Titan has a 5 speed transmission and there fore MUST use a different gear ratio than the others. The 3.36:1 gears in the Titan are there if you A.,Get the Off-Road Package, or B.,Get the Towing Package. The 3.36:1 gear ratio, with the transmission in the truck actually equals a final wheel drive od around 4.11:1. IT is NOT a bad pick for towing and if the other manufacturers need to point that out, they are ignorant or sneaky. One of the two. The other gear ratio of 2.94:1 is a final drive of roughly 3.73:1. Either way, it's where you would want it. It is NOT under geared. Anyone who has driven one can tell you that it accelerates like it thinks it's a sports car and tow's competently as well. Just remember that it IS a half-ton pickup and don't overload it. But when you see the towing comparisons you will see that the Titan will be the winner. I was fortunate enough to watch the Titan vs. the Hemi at the Nissan Titan launch Training in Toledo and I saw fisrt hand that the Titan can out run even the Hemi when they were both pulling identical trailers with identical vehicles on each trailer. It was quite impressive. Nice to see that the Titan got yet another "truck of the year" accolade. I think that's 5 now. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Love driving the Titan, you are right about "sports car feel" I really can't wait to haul a load. I'm still in the break-in period but it sure is hard to keep you foot off the floor and pass everything in sight.

Great post about gear ratio--5 is definitely better than 4.

·
Registered
1 Posts
GezonMotors said:
What they are doing is sneaky and misleading. The Titan has a 5 speed transmission and there fore MUST use a different gear ratio than the others. The 3.36:1 gears in the Titan are there if you A.,Get the Off-Road Package, or B.,Get the Towing Package. The 3.36:1 gear ratio, with the transmission in the truck actually equals a final wheel drive od around 4.11:1. IT is NOT a bad pick for towing and if the other manufacturers need to point that out, they are ignorant or sneaky. One of the two. The other gear ratio of 2.94:1 is a final drive of roughly 3.73:1. .
Also having a higher gear (lower number) means the rear end will usually be stronger because of a larger pinion gear. A 4:11 rear in a 10 bolt GM, will be much smaller in comparison.

·
Registered
21 Posts
timebomb said:
Also having a higher gear (lower number) means the rear end will usually be stronger because of a larger pinion gear. A 4:11 rear in a 10 bolt GM, will be much smaller in comparison.

Good call timebomb!

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Trapper L said:
I've seen that truck, it's pretty cool.

I've also towed with the Titan, (Check the sig. under The Trailer) and with the 5spd auto, it's geared right.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Derwud said:
I've seen that truck, it's pretty cool.

I've also towed with the Titan, (Check the sig. under The Trailer) and with the 5spd auto, it's geared right.
Derwud, can we hear more about your towing experience with the Titan? When you are towing uphill for instance, what is your vehicle speed and engine rpm, and in what gear are you running uphill?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Trapper L said:
Trapper L, is the March issue out yet? Am interested in reading the test.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
outahere said:
Derwud, can we hear more about your towing experience with the Titan? When you are towing uphill for instance, what is your vehicle speed and engine rpm, and in what gear are you running uphill?
I just got back from Glamis this weekend and once again the Titan performed flawlessly. I was able to pull the big hill out of Palm Springs at 65mph without breaking a sweat! And I was able to go from Pasadena to Brawley on one tank of gas. My Ramcharger, use to take two tanks to get there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts