Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have read dozens of threads and attempted to summarize the results. KCover/Advance/Fold a cover and Bakflip owners: please read and check my table for accuracy. I have placed a "?" in most of the areas I have questions or uncertainty. Please edit or comment and I will edit this original comparison table and then repost.
I think I have captured the biggest facts, differences, weaknesses, and strengths. Let me know.
Thanks for the proof reading.:boxing:

Attachments

·
Registered
183 Posts
here are some updates for the bakflip

The bakflip does have latches on the front and middle sections just like the rear section that require pulling a cable on the underside of the panel to release.

You cannot lift the center panels to steal bed contents without opening the tailgate. (at least not easily...I imagine you could break the latches and pry it open with a crowbar if you were really determined)

As far as rattles are concerned I will say that my bakflip does make some noise at highway speed (70+) but that it has never been loud enough to hear without the windows down (especially the rear window). With mine the noise seems to come from the rubber along the sides flapping in the wind and not any actually rattling of the cover. Of course your results may vary.

I am pretty sure that complete removal of the bakflip requires 1 wrench.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. The bakflip web site did not show latches on the middle sections that I could see. When did they add them? How does one ensure that they buy the updated bakflip? (does it have an updated name like Bakflip v2?). Is the rubber flapping at speed noise a bother at all, or is it too mild?

Does the advance cover also have rubber seal flapping noise at speed?

Thanks again for updating this info. Ill change the chart when we get the details polished.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Spoke to Ivan at Bakflip. They have really listened to what owners have said, and Bakflip has now put out a G2 version, that addressed much of what is recorded in my chart. Therefore, I will update/ correct the chart as soon as I see my new top in person. If Stan is accurate, they have fixed almost every fault I listen in the chart. Wow- I hope that he is accurate. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The above table is updated. I believe it is accurate. Let me know.
See my pics about the G2 Bakflip below.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
G2 Bakflip pics- more on way.
Overview pic, rails flipped (notice 1 screw that you leave out- no harm done), one small flaw in G2 (Tape used- I may use cement to weld this spot- replacement tape from Bakflip on way- good folks), rear gate well sealed.

Attachments

·
Registered
183 Posts
Machado, you mentioned they replaced the shocks. Got any pictures of how the prop rods work? Do they secure enough that you would feel comfortable driving down the highway with the cover propped open?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here ya go. These pics show details regarding the support bars and the top folded against the cab.

More pics soon.

Attachments

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bed extender works great. There is a minor tilt, but it is irrelevant to form and function. The bed extender mounting rails slide the full length of the bed, and are stopped at the back before sliding out and off (so I didnt need to reinstall the stops that sit in the rails to prevent the bed rails from sliding too far out).

Attachments

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Rain falls onto the top, runs along the rubber hinged, falls down into the rails (where my finger is pointing), then travels forward until it drains out the front drain tubes. The TT doesnt have a big hole like other beds do, so I tried to direct the drain hoses to the slots in the TT bed at the front. I may adapt these hoses to step down to smaller drains hoses that fit and hold in the front bed slots. There may be a better way (I bet baseball and others can help here), but I have looked too hard yet.

Attachments

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
There are only a few flaws Ive noted on the G2 (so far).
-They used strong commercial dbl sided tape in 1 small area (to hold the aft end of the side weather stripping to the side ends of the aft weatherstripping).
-The aft weatherstripping can sometimes crinkle when the tailgate hits it. This happened less after some sun/ heat and while the tailgate rubber was clean and slippery after detailing.
-The drain tubes dont have a nice place to drain in the TT. (Other truck beds have holes- we have a forward slot or groove.)
- I called and was instructed to add shims where I had under panel latches that didnt latch consistently. The shims (rubber washers in my case) fixed the problem instantly and are not visable. The Titan is said to "not require shims", but that isnt true in this small exception.
-Felt tape is placed under some of the hinges. This felt may have added to my hinge latching inconsistency. I was told that sometimes the felt sometimes blocks the rain running down the hinges on its way to the rails and drain tubes. This can cause the water to drain less and pool and spill into the bed. For these 2 reasons, I was instructed to remove the felt. I think the shims alone would have solved the latch problem, but I pulled the felt as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Hope that helps. I have more pics and info if needed. GREAT top. Great Price (534$ shipped- see chart for Josh's contact info)
WAIT- here it is as well.
Call Josh Krahler E-mail: [email protected] Phone #: 701-253-5906 Ext 128
He will have to add a few promo codes and do that magic they all do when price matching.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Thanks for the great pics

·
Registered
31 Posts
i installed my bakflip last night. i am loving it. let me know when you solve the draining issue. right now i am thinking i'll find a reducer hose but if you come up with something better i'd appreciate it

killer pics. i was referring to during install.

·
Banned
27,783 Posts
I owned a Gen. 1 Bakflip.
To say the least it leaked.
Even after talking with Ivan, and trying to get it "fixed" it still leaked.

Sold it, and bought an Extang Trifecta!!!

Folds up like the Bakflip, easier to install and remove, and best of all NO LEAKS!

Way less expense also!!

Half the cost of a Bakflip!

Nice write up, and I hope yours does well for you.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I wanted something solid (knife proof) to protect tools or fishing gear in motel parking lots over night.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts