Nissan Titan Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
crewcabLEinsc said:
i installed my bakflip last night. i am loving it. let me know when you solve the draining issue. right now i am thinking i'll find a reducer hose but if you come up with something better i'd appreciate it

killer pics. i was referring to during install.
Thanks for the reply. I have been so helped by guys on this form. Some of them are really amazing. Glad I could help you in this small way. Post if issues arise and Ill post drain tube ideas when they come to me.

Did you have tape issues on a back corner like I did?

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Hey Machado, looks great. Glad to see you settled on that one, it's what I would have done.

Enjoy!!!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
TriKKy said:
Hey Machado, looks great. Glad to see you settled on that one, it's what I would have done.

Enjoy!!!
After tons of research, I was won over by all the work they put into the G2. Ivan at Bakflip seems to have the right attitude.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Machado7: Can you clarify what the "modifications" were needed on the utilitrack to get the new G2 Bakflip installed. Their website still claims that you have to flip the track to install it on the Titan but you noted in your chart "Utilitrac changes or modifications required? Yes- went very easy w/ correct tools."

For the Nissan TITAN with the Utili-Track System, what adjustments must be made to install this cover?
installation of the BakFlip on the Nissan Titan is simple. Unbolt the Utili-Track and flip it over, keeping the functional side of the Utili-Track rail facing into the bed. By flipping the rail, an additional 1 inch of clearance is gained, enough to install the BakFlip Tonneau Cover. Flipping the Utili-Track system still allows the use of tie downs since the mounting rails are clamped above it.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
FourDoor said:
Machado7: Can you clarify what the "modifications" were needed on the utilitrack to get the new G2 Bakflip installed. Their website still claims that you have to flip the track to install it on the Titan but you noted in your chart "Utilitrac changes or modifications required? Yes- went very easy w/ correct tools."
Sorry about the lack of clarity: The Utilitrack "mod" is simple- just flip the track over (top down- bottom up). This requires a #45 Torx bit (dont use a 40) and a little power and caution. Stripped heads = delay and frustration. I used an air impact w/ ease.
The Bed extender and cleats work 100% w/ full slide. (I dont have the OEM bed divider, but other post say that this can be used w/ a slight trim of the "knobs" on the top or bottom of the OEM divider.)
Very well made top. My only grief so far is learning how to shut the tail gate w/o bending the rear w/stripping of the cover. I have an 04 (so I have a heavy tailgate w/o the power lift assist Nissan added to 05 and beyond- The later years have an easier to lift gate. This allows you to raise the back edge of the cover just a bit while you one hand the tailgate closed.) I cant 1 hand my tailgate easily- too heavy. Im installing a easy lift tailgate torsion bar (20$). Stay tuned. Also, when the tailgate edge has been detailed and is slippery, the rear weatherstripping no longer binds/ bents.

Great top, NICE looking, easy to install and use, and inexpensive if you call the link I listed (534$ shipped). Hope that helps. Thanks for the request for clarification.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
The word "modifications" was used in the comparison because other company bed covers block spots on the UT and thus "modify its functionality. Poor choice of wording on my part.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Thanks for clarifying. I wasn't sure if the G2 found new ways to mount without having to flip the track over.

I am a bit hessitant about flipping the track over but if the bed extender slides on the track as normal, then I shouln't have a problem with it. Thanks for the hookup on the price. I'll probably place the order at the end of this month.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
FourDoor said:
Thanks for clarifying. I wasn't sure if the G2 found new ways to mount without having to flip the track over.

I am a bit hessitant about flipping the track over but if the bed extender slides on the track as normal, then I shouln't have a problem with it. Thanks for the hookup on the price. I'll probably place the order at the end of this month.
The UT flip is SOOOO easy. Just need good tools, some power, and care. Its nothing. I used no heat, etc. If unhappy, you could reset the UT, and use rivets or trim the rails- both done by others on the forum. You wont need to do that. You got this man.

·
Registered
31 Posts
ok. i have been reading everything i could about covers and sided with the bakflip. first weekend i put it on i drove 150 miles to atlanta. my uncle's car broke down and three people laid in the bed under the bakflip. two of them actually slept. they rode the first half with it up against the truck. i was going 80 and it did fine raised up. they got too cold so we closed the cover. they said it was nice and warm. cover did not vibrate at all. i have also gone through two washes and a rain storm. as far as leaking, i had a fist sized puddle on each wheel well where the hinge is. i absolutely love this cover. very glad i got one even though it took me two weekends to get the utilitrac flipped. durn loctite. use an impact if you're gonna take them bolts out. i got a reducer and some smaller hose to fit into the holes. not a big deal but seems like they coulda sent some durn hose that fit the truck.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
crewcabLEinsc said:
ok. i have been reading everything i could about covers and sided with the bakflip. first weekend i put it on i drove 150 miles to atlanta. my uncle's car broke down and three people laid in the bed under the bakflip. two of them actually slept. they rode the first half with it up against the truck. i was going 80 and it did fine raised up. they got too cold so we closed the cover. they said it was nice and warm. cover did not vibrate at all. i have also gone through two washes and a rain storm. as far as leaking, i had a fist sized puddle on each wheel well where the hinge is. i absolutely love this cover. very glad i got one even though it took me two weekends to get the utilitrac flipped. durn loctite. use an impact if you're gonna take them bolts out. i got a reducer and some smaller hose to fit into the holes. not a big deal but seems like they coulda sent some durn hose that fit the truck.
What tricks did you use for the hoses to fit the Titan?

·
Registered
31 Posts
i didn't have a camera. i really wish i had taken some pictures of it too. i couldn't stop laughing for twenty miles. i know it is lame but when i get a camera i am going to take some recreate the moment shots. my picture is like four times too big to post. i don't know how to reduce the image size. make a thumbnail or something (i don't know how)? please help because i want to be able to post pictures.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
crewcabLEinsc said:
i didn't have a camera. i really wish i had taken some pictures of it too. i couldn't stop laughing for twenty miles. i know it is lame but when i get a camera i am going to take some recreate the moment shots. my picture is like four times too big to post. i don't know how to reduce the image size. make a thumbnail or something (i don't know how)? please help because i want to be able to post pictures.
Im no expert- but I open the image in Microsoft image viewer and use the edit feature. Then it offers a resize option.

·
Registered
31 Posts
okay i downloaded some kind of image resizer from microsoft and this should work now. here is my reducer and smaller hose. looks nice and clean imo. hopefully that worked. if it did i am gonna go mad man on the picture posting here soon.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
i haven't been able to tell if the rails and tubes even work. only evidence of leakage i have seen after storm is on wells a pool about size of a fist. problem seems to be right at the hinges. anything done or heard of for special at hinges?

·
Registered
5 Posts
This has been a great thread, and has been a major factor for me in my decision to order the BAKflip. Your pictures were great, and I'm sure you will save a lot of us a lot of research and trial and error. BTW I ordered mine today spoke with Josh based on the contact information you listed; I work with vendors on a pretty regular basis, and those people are some of the most friendly around. I'm sure I will be referring back to this thread during install. Thanks again.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Mikek547 said:
This has been a great thread, and has been a major factor for me in my decision to order the BAKflip. Your pictures were great, and I'm sure you will save a lot of us a lot of research and trial and error. BTW I ordered mine today spoke with Josh based on the contact information you listed; I work with vendors on a pretty regular basis, and those people are some of the most friendly around. I'm sure I will be referring back to this thread during install. Thanks again.
Thank you for the kind words. This web site has been such a blessing to me because of the input of some really great contributors. I have done mods that I would have never attempted without the help of this site and its contributors. What a great place.
In Him,
Mach7

·
Registered
5 Posts
Machado,

I wanted to add. I installed the BAKflip last night, it appears that on the 08 the torx are now #40 not 45 wasn't a big deal but wanted to add the heads up for everyone. Also it looks like from your pictures you were able to leave the front Utilitrac on? I had to take it off to get the rails to go far enough forward to get the tail gate to latch. It does look like it was only about 1/8" from closing but i took the trac off for now. One weekend when I am not as busy i will grind on the corners of the trac and re-install it and the rails. I'll post pictures when complete so that you can add to the records.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts