Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After seeing a spectacular example of a full-blown PC installed in a RX-8, I am thinking on constructing something similar for my Titan. As a vollie FF, I sometimes have to respond to the scene and nothing's more fustrating than grabbing a keymap searching for the address. Taking a page from the local PD's book, their touchscreen systems in their squad cars look like the right option.

However, those are rather pricey....

I'm thinking on just heading to Newegg, ordering a few parts, slaping a basic PC together, and tacking on a GPS receiver with a 15" monitor for a large-scale version of a Garmin.

What do you guys think? Is it worth the hassle? Will it put too much drain on the Titan's battery?

Thanks for reading. :gunz:

·
Registered
599 Posts
prob would strain the battery, just get a flip out screen with a gps and nav

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have a carputer in my Accord right now. Now that I have the titan there is n o way I am going to do it again. I never used it for anything other mp3 and nav, which other head units can do. The boot time was horrible. If you decide to do one I would stay away from a 15" monitor. I had a 7" lilput and it was pretty darn bright(but after 2 years its dying on me). If nav is your main concern I would invest in a portable gps, I have been using my palm treo and tom tom software for pocket pc for over a year now and it works great. Also, IMO the audio quality in a carputer does leave a lot to be desired and I was running a matrix line driver, but I guess you have a lot of software tweaks available.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
I haven't finished it yet, hopefully get it all in a week or two. I have mounted a 2 GHz C-7 2 GB Ram 100 GB 2-1/2" HD WiFi BT IR and 2 cameras, under rear seat and will be mounting a 9.2" Touchscreen today, on the floor in the middle (I have Bench Seat CC).

Primary need is to run Cipher/Osisris (entire justification is to have ability to monitor a Modded engine with the Windows based software called Cipher, and not have personal info as on my Laptop, to be exposed to theft), rare NAV with MS Street & Trips, and will try to transfer my WMA files and see how they sound.

I'm finishing up about 5 or 6 electrical projects at one time right now. Study up and consider carefully what you need/want/can sacrifice in room and money. The monitor will be on a "RAM Mount" Brand GPS Mount that can swivel or be removed from the floor. It keeps it out of view (Dashboard and others). Paid 50 bucks at a Marine Store.

Consider a UMPC for 800-1000 if you can find one. Best Buy now carries one or two. They typically have a 7" Touchscreen and are highly transportable. Mount down low, leave in the glove box, mount on dash top. Think twice, buy once. This is an expensive project for many of us. Are the rewards worth it for you?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info.

Seeing how pricey this project can get (with a music studio in the works), I think I may have to go the *cheap* way. I was thinking purchasing a used laptop from Ebay for a low price and tacking on a GPS receiver so I can run MS Street and Trips. Put in a Jotto desk and I'm done.

TitanBlue, your project has caught my interest. Do keep us updated on your progress!! :smoke:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts