Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have been asking a few computer questions lately... Can anyone help me out and or refer me to a good forum where I can ask other computer related questions? Like a good one maybe u have used...

OK, heres my Q. I am runnin a network at work. Well we are and there are about 10 hard wired computers and 2 or 3 wireless ones...

It starts off with a DSL modem, then goes through a Belkin wireless router and then through 3 switches (Micronet I believe) down the line to spread to other computers... on then in one room there is a netgear router.

The computers were working fine till one guy was disconnecting the router and a switch in the main room (where a comp., the router, modem, and first switch are located). Then everything went down. We called sbcglobal (our DSL service) and they ran us through some steps to reset the modem and we wired the comp straight to the modem and then we got the internet going again... we connected the router and it wouldnt work... so we then called Belkin... they ran me through some steps andwe got the computer working but when I would connect the switch in that room to the router it would go out... they had me reset the IP to another and I noticed well the router DHCP is enabled and all the comps are set to automatically obtain IP addresses. Thing is they start off at 192.168.1.0 and up kinda... but they had me set up the router to an IP address at 192.168.2.1 SO the comps will not connect...

I go in to cmd prompt and type the ipconfig /release

then ipconfig /renew to obtain the new IP and it will THEN grab a good IP in the sequence up there with the router... 192.168.2.x

BUT if the comp gets restarted well same thing... then I manually have to go and get a good IP (how I explained earlier)

SO today I went in and changed the IP of the router to 192.168.1.0 (same as modem though, I dunno if that will interfere but I though if I needa access the modem I will just unplug and connect straight to the comp without the router and mess with any configurations that way) AND NOW when I restart the comps they work... BUT will they work from here on out... or will there be any problem? Any advice... anyone understand me?? lol... Im not to new to this stuff I know the basics and more but... maybe a second opinion?

Ill attach a layout of the office...

In the mix here there are also 4 packet 8 phones going through the network just to let u know as well...

Attachments

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
If the modem is 192.168.1.0, set all devices to 192.168.1.1 thu 254. You cannot have two devices with the same IP.
You could configure the DHCP for 192.168.1.1 thu 50, then you could asign static IPs to your desk top computers and printers, 51 thu 254. Also, you only need one router and that would be at the point were your LAN goes out to the WAN or Internet.

·
Registered
561 Posts
If the internal side of your modem is set as .0 and the router that it's connected to is the one that's responsible for DHCP, then give the router an address of .1 and set an IP pool so that it gives out DHCP addresses from .50 and above. That will let you reserve the lower addresses for devices that need static IPs such as switches, secondary routers, access points, etc and at the same time prevent desktop PCs from grabbing IPs that would cause a conflict. Also, are your switches "managed" ones that require IPs or just smarthubs? If they're managed, then you'll need to give them static IPs from the reserved pool.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How do u assign statip IPs to printers.. Im think Im gonna have to assin static IPs instead cuz today there were still some problems...

When we restart the computers most of em connect but some dont...

and it is configured to run 192.168.1.0 through .50 but the comps arent understanding or something lol....

the reason I have another router is to split the internet in the other office (corner one where the netgear is in). U think that could be the problem throwing things off?? I dont know the username and password for that router though... so I cant get in there...what does netgear use for default... I know linksys just uses admin for the pw...

·
Registered
290 Posts
pi3yeargrad said:
I dont know the username and password for that router though... so I cant get in there...what does netgear use for default... I know linksys just uses admin for the pw...
*straight from netgear's website*

did a search for default password...here's the link

http://kbserver.netgear.com/inquira/default.asp?ui_mode=answer&prior_transaction_id=2820033&action_code=5&highlight_info=16777964,74,88&turl=http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n100651.asp&answer_id=1491709#__highlight

Forgotten or Lost Router Password What do I do after I get online?

Set up your security. By default, routers are in an unsafe configuration. Read Improving Your Default Security for an explanation, and simple instructions about how to be safer.

The router username is always admin
The default password is password or (for older routers) 1234
Try the default username and password before resetting the router to the factory defaults.

When a router resets, it goes back to the state when it was new — all information that was entered by hand is lost! Examples are critical things you need to get online, such as ISP username, ISP password, IP addresses, security keys, and ports and services that were opened. It all needs to be re-entered.

So, have your ISP information before resetting the router.

Naturally, if you moved to a new city, or if you bought a used router, the old information in the router may not be of use to you. Contact your ISP if you can't connect any computer directly to the Internet. Then, if there is a connection problem when the router is added, see No Internet Access Through the Router

Reset for most routers with a reset button on the rear panel

Write down configuration information such as IP addresses, security keys, opened ports and services, etc., that you modified. (The default username is admin and the password is either password or 1234. Try these before resetting the router.)

Press the reset button on the back until the test light blinks. This takes about 10 seconds. (To avoid accidental resets, the small button is recessed. Use a pen or paperclip to access it.)
Release the button.
Wait for the router to reboot.
If the router was not cleared, try these additional steps AFTER the router has finished rebooting.

Unplug the router's power.
Press and hold the reset button. While the button is held down, reconnect router's power.
Continue to hold the reset button for 20 seconds after reconnecting the power.
Wait for the router to reboot.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had this happen when trying to set up a wireless network for a friend. The problem in my case was the modem, and I had to do what dawgbone is saying. I had to go in and assign an ip to the router. "192.168.1.1" because the ip on the modem was 192.168.1.0. Also you might have to assign an ip to the other router too.

·
Registered
561 Posts
pi3yeargrad said:
How do u assign statip IPs to printers.. Im think Im gonna have to assin static IPs instead cuz today there were still some problems...
You would set a printer's IP from the interface on the printer or through software from the admin's PC if the printer has that ability.

pi3yeargrad said:
When we restart the computers most of em connect but some dont...
Make sure that the ones that don't connect are set for DHCP. They may have been manually configured previously for the old subnet you were using.

pi3yeargrad said:
and it is configured to run 192.168.1.0 through .50 but the comps arent understanding or something lol....
DO NOT use .0 thru .50 for the DHCP range. Remember that your modem is already .0 and the router .1, so their addresses are in the pool and could be in conflict with another device. That's why you want to use a higher range for the DHCP pool.

pi3yeargrad said:
the reason I have another router is to split the internet in the other office (corner one where the netgear is in). U think that could be the problem throwing things off?? I dont know the username and password for that router though... so I cant get in there...what does netgear use for default... I know linksys just uses admin for the pw...
The other router could have something to do with it. Once you get access to it, make sure that it's not also trying to serve DHCP requests and causing a problem.

Good luck!

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
FIGURED IT OUT GUYS...

It was the darn other router... sending different IPs... the main one was sendig the correct one... 192.168.2.2 and up

but the netgear router was sending 192.168.0.1 and up

so they were conflicting... I guess 2 routers dont work... so we got another switch. I reconfigured everything and BAM good to go!

thanks for all the advice and reading material. Always great to learn more and more

·
Registered
830 Posts
Yea, you can't do that. There is a free utility called "Ethereal". You can run it on one PC and it puts that PCs NIC into a "promiscuous" mode to "sniff" all packets on the network. "Ethereal " would have shown quickly that you had two servers issuing IPs.

It is a very cool tool (did I mention FREE) and I always have it on my work laptop. If you like this network stuff, it is easy to use after playing with it for awhile.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts