Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I am new to the forum and new to trucks in general. I have finally made the decision to get my first pickup truck and have decided on the Titan.

I am looking for a 4x4 version of Platinum Reserve with Moonroof package or the Pro4X with Utility, Convenience and Moonroof Packages.

I am going to tow 5000lbs say 5 times a year. Being from the Seattle area, cold weather performance is important and I would like to take to take the truck on mountain passes to ski resorts and occasional off roading. I can swap out the wheels on the PR to better all terrains if it turns out to be poor in snow.

I take long road trips, so looking for a well equipped both with features and safety. I need the truck to be fairly quiet at highway speeds.

Again, this would be my first pickup truck and would like to keep it for 6-7 years.

I am confused between the two trim levels and I think I can get the Pro 4X feature equipped to the PR by adding the packages.

What would you all suggest? Is there something else on the PR apart from the chrome that is missing on the Pro4X?

A dealer nearby has both of them for almost 55-56k out the door, so they are pretty much the same price.

·
Premium Member
4,145 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
The Pro 4x will have a stiffer ride than the PR model, I don’t know how much road noise the pros tires emit. My truck is an SV and it has an amazing ride and it is very quiet inside, the PR that I borrowed for an extended test drive was a winner. Go drive both and see for yourself and pay attention that there is no tire shake vibration at highway speeds as some have experienced. I’m on my third Titan and am very pleased.

Clint

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
1,691 Posts
I have an sv also, and love it. I cannot say anything on your two options but the platinum was very impressive to check out at the dealer. Not many platinum models on the road but I see tons of pro4.

Like someone else commented on another thread, the resale is affected by the model so if both are the same price, the platinum is the top level and will trade in or resell better

·
Registered
793 Posts
I'm not sure what's in the Platinum Reserve that my Pro 4X doesn't have as far as features are concerned. I know the Platinum has colored seats (brown or whatever), has wood (real), and lots of chrome accents, but features IDK unless it has wireless charging which mine doesn't have. It's all what's pleasing to the eye for you. I've had a 2004 LE, 2012 SL with every option including DVD player.....now I'm just tired of Chrome and like how the current Pro 4 looks with the red accents and ZERO chrome lol. But that's just me.

·
Registered
87 Posts
You want chrome and woodgrain go for the PR. If not get the Pro

For the type of driving youre gonna be doing I'd get the Pro4X. But Im biased because I have one

·
Registered
275 Posts
Hello all,
I am new to the forum and new to trucks in general. I have finally made the decision to get my first pickup truck and have decided on the Titan.

I am looking for a 4x4 version of Platinum Reserve with Moonroof package or the Pro4X with Utility, Convenience and Moonroof Packages.

I am going to tow 5000lbs say 5 times a year. Being from the Seattle area, cold weather performance is important and I would like to take to take the truck on mountain passes to ski resorts and occasional off roading. I can swap out the wheels on the PR to better all terrains if it turns out to be poor in snow.

I take long road trips, so looking for a well equipped both with features and safety. I need the truck to be fairly quiet at highway speeds.

Again, this would be my first pickup truck and would like to keep it for 6-7 years.

I am confused between the two trim levels and I think I can get the Pro 4X feature equipped to the PR by adding the packages.

What would you all suggest? Is there something else on the PR apart from the chrome that is missing on the Pro4X?

A dealer nearby has both of them for almost 55-56k out the door, so they are pretty much the same price.
Pro4 if you want Bilstein shocks, which to me, makes the ride more bouncy and less bone rattling over normal road bumps compared to the 4x4 sv that I had for a rental. The Pro4 also comes with a locking rear differential the PR does not. Pro4 does not have any chrome anywhere except for around the start button.

PR has all the chrome and wood grain as stated above, also I believe they come with 20 inch wheels,
So basically do you want semi off road suspension, locking rear diff, and black trim and accents, or regular suspension, no locking rear diff, and chrome and wood grain? You can option up the Pro4 to match the PR so those are pretty much the main differences

I’m biased towards the Pro4x because that’s what I have.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Hello all,

I was in same boat. With the Plat u gain better gas mileage and smoother ride....

If you do any off roading I would move towards the pro 4x

·
Registered
2020 Titan Pro-4X 2006 Titan SE (sold) Chevy SS Sedan
442 Posts
I was in same boat. With the Plat u gain better gas mileage and smoother ride....

What gives the PR better gas mileage as I thought they are both using the same powertrain?

I'd say that the PR is more buttoned up than the Pro-4X. The Pro-4X is what you expect a ranch foreman to drive while the PR is what the ranch owner would drive. I went with the P4X because I figured I'd use it for utility. If I needed it more for daily commuting duty, I might've gone for a PR.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I've owned a '17 PR and now a '20 P4X. As other's have said, the differences are primarily the suspension and amount of chrome. BUT, I will say the seats in my '17 PR were more comfortable than the seats in my '20 P4X. The seats in my P4X are much firmer than the seats in my old PR were.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
What gives the PR better gas mileage as I thought they are both using the same powertrain?

I'd say that the PR is more buttoned up than the Pro-4X. The Pro-4X is what you expect a ranch foreman to drive while the PR is what the ranch owner would drive. I went with the P4X because I figured I'd use it for utility. If I needed it more for daily commuting duty, I might've gone for a PR.
The PR is an 1” or so lower, has an air damn, along with lighter and a bit narrower tires...

Makes a big difference. My 17’ SL which had the same tire and suspension setup as the PR averaged 19.5mpg.. my 19’ pro 4x averaged 17.8mpg...

·
Registered
379 Posts

This.
I have a 19 PR and have gotten 23mpgs in the mountains of New Hampshire. I don’t do much off roading so the PR is perfect for me. The Pro4x definitely looks the business if you at going for looks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
This.
I have a 19 PR and have gotten 23mpgs in the mountains of New Hampshire. I don’t do much off roading so the PR is perfect for me. The Pro4x definitely looks the business if you at going for looks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I really valued my pro4x this week.. 4wd was what got me to work!!!

Never thought I would have needed it for snow and ice.. I just got it for steep and slick boat ramps....

·
Premium Member
4,145 Posts
I really valued my pro4x this week.. 4wd was what got me to work!!!

Never thought I would have needed it for snow and ice.. I just got it for steep and slick boat ramps....
Glad it got you there and back safely.

Clint

·
Registered
156 Posts
The locker is great if you actually use it. I had f150’s with them and never once used it. The 4x4 worked well enough without them for my needs which consists of light trails and snowy mountain passes and roads. While lockers are great to ha e and should be an option on all trim levels, they are far from necessary for most drivers or trucks.

Granted I changed out the stock tires to Falken Wildpeaks and the PR does all I need and more. Your mileage may vary.

One weird quirk on the PR I can’t stand... they give a heated steering wheel that works great, and then put fake wood trim around the part where your palm sits that isn’t heated. Wonder what bonehead thought that was a good idea.

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
1,691 Posts
I was just saying yesterday that I can live without heated seats but sure miss the heated steering wheel on the wife's old car

·
Registered
19 Posts
Drove both before I got my 17 P4X. The PR feels soft and lush while the P4X feels like a truck to me. I drive about 30k miles a year, truck is great and drives great. I came from a 2011 f150 limited, the P4X is a way better truck. Either way get a titan great truck.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts