Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We all complain about how Consumer Reports hammers the Titan and loves the Toyota products. Looks like things are starting to change..

"Consumer Reports said it previously recommended redesigned Toyota models even without enough reliability data "because of the automaker's excellent track record." The revamped vehicles now won't be considered until it accumulates sufficient data.

Article is in the boston globe today.

Just to add - Consumer Reports rated the 4wd Tundra as a worst pick and I believe the 2wd as a Best pick.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for linking that. I have under 15 posts and it wouldnt allow me to link. I wonder where the Titan came in? One thing is for sure it came ahead of the 4wd Tundra!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Although Toyota ranked third in reliability behind only Honda Motor Co (7267.T) and Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd's (7270.T) Subaru, Consumer Reports also found two Toyota models had "below average" predicted reliability.

Those two models were the V-6 version of Toyota's flagship Camry sedan and the four-wheel-drive, V-8 version of its new Tundra pickup truck.

"Consumer Reports will no longer recommend any new or redesigned Toyota-built models without reliability data on a specific design," the publication said in a statement. "Previously, new and redesigned models were recommended because of the automaker's excellent track record."

Besides its influence with car shoppers, the annual study is used by major automakers as a proxy for their performance in improving and maintaining vehicle quality.

"None of our internal data points to customer dissatisfaction with any of those models," Toyota spokesman John McCandless told Reuters.

"We look forward to analyzing the data and we'll sit down with Consumer Reports and take it from there," he said.

·
Premium Member
59,069 Posts
I think much of CR's testing on products is fair but their vehicle testing is not up to par. I doubt that infant and baby car seat manufacturers have much nice to say about CR after the recent boondoggle.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its kind of shocking the impact Consumer Reports has yet it had no data.."Consumer Reports will no longer recommend any new or redesigned Toyota-built models without reliability data on a specific design," the publication said in a statement. "Previously, new and redesigned models were recommended because of the automaker's excellent track record."

Past models where good so we gave it good marks? Seems pathetic. And to think of the millions of dollars consumers spend based on the ratings that Consumer Reports put out...

·
Registered
65 Posts
I am wondering if they do the same thing with Honda? They seem to be perfect all the time also. I used to have a Toyota as a work vehicle and had it in the shop 4 times in the first 50k before leaving the job. I was always confused about consumer reports after that. Thought maybe I just got a bad one but who knows.

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
I stopped subscribing to CR last year. Even without them admitting to bias, it was clearly evident. I never had any real faith in companies that rely on consumer input. I know they don't get all the surveys back. I have always felt that people who have problems are far more likely to complete and return them.

·
Banned
1,183 Posts
I posted the subscriber version of the CR report on the Tundra yesterday, but had to take it down because of copy write issues.
Anyway, when you read the review, it sounds fairly positive until the last last sentence when the say that results from their subscriber survey cause them to not recommend the Tundra, although they like the 2wd.
CR thinks that Toyota dropped the ball on the 4WD, because VSC is disengaged in 4WD (like the Titan), and consider it a safety issue. Obviously CR's 4WD experience is limited to pavement, no real 4WD off roading, where the last thing you want is to have the throttle cut in a bad spot.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
I lost the little respect for CR when they went against policy and reccommended the new Tundra, in their full size pickup test, just because it was a Toyota.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts