Nissan Titan Forum banner

Consumer Reports: Titan "Not Recommended"

5485 36
The latest issue of Consumer Reports has downgraded their listing of the Titan to "not recommended" because of reliability issues. The info was gathered from their latest survey data.
I'm guessing this may be largely due to the reported brake problems.
I had the new brake replacement kit installed on my 04 Titan last week, and the feel and performance of the brakes is vastly improved. Too early to say for sure, but the brake dust doesn't seem as bad.
I had the first brake judder problem at 8,000 miles. The dealer turned the rotors, replaced the pads. Then at 14,500 miles the judder returned. No problem getting the dealer to install the new brake kit. Only had to wait two weeks for them to get the parts.
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,495 Posts
Titan and Consumer Reports

Contra said:
cool i have been using $50 bills but that is a good idea
Uhh, I have to go to the bathroom. Where are you located? :upsidedow

FYI. I had the kit done and it vastly improved both braking AND no front dust even after months of driving. Scary!

But like you all, I better sell the truck. I guess my enjoying the towing capacity, roominess, comfort are not enough to keep me happy. I NEED CONSUMER REPORTS APPROVAL TO VALIDATE MY EXISTENCE. :gunz:

·
Registered
328 Posts
Many years ago, CR did a big test on several SUV's. Out of the bunch, they declared Isuzu Trooper to be very dangerous and would roll. Isuzu lost big sales after that so they took CR to court. At the court, an internal CR video tape was revealed. It showed that out of the entire batch of SUV's they tested, none of them rolled after their standard suite of tests. At the end, they wanted to prove that SUV's would roll so they just picked the Trooper and purposely drove it faster and faster in a slalom course until it got on two wheels. This was after about 10 attempts. I personally saw this video on a special TV report. At the end, you could hear cheers from their testing staff that they've finally did it. Isuzu won the case but it was too late. Sales on the Trooper went down the drain year after year because the bad image has already been implanted in consumers' minds. Because of that, I got my slightly used Trooper for dirt dirt dirt cheap.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
chung_chang said:
Many years ago, CR did a big test on several SUV's. Out of the bunch, they declared Isuzu Trooper to be very dangerous and would roll. Isuzu lost big sales after that so they took CR to court. At the court, an internal CR video tape was revealed. It showed that out of the entire batch of SUV's they tested, none of them rolled after their standard suite of tests. At the end, they wanted to prove that SUV's would roll so they just picked the Trooper and purposely drove it faster and faster in a slalom course until it got on two wheels. This was after about 10 attempts. I personally saw this video on a special TV report. At the end, you could hear cheers from their testing staff that they've finally did it. Isuzu won the case but it was too late. Sales on the Trooper went down the drain year after year because the bad image has already been implanted in consumers' minds. Because of that, I got my slightly used Trooper for dirt dirt dirt cheap.
I thought it was Suzuki samauri but I could be wrong. They found out regardless that the dodge caravan was more easily rolled than the suvs. :cheers:

·
Registered
328 Posts
92TripleBlack said:
I thought it was Suzuki samauri but I could be wrong. They found out regardless that the dodge caravan was more easily rolled than the suvs. :cheers:
it's both: Consumer Reports Defamation Trial Starts

I found out by watching a special TV report back in 2000.

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
ruauman2 said:
So, it appears we have a majority...CR is "unreliable"
I think consummer reports is highly reliable, they hardly ever talk about the products I'd like to buy and on that you can rely.
:smoke:

·
Banned
787 Posts
Problems in near order:

-Delivered torn rear headrest was on backorder ~7 months :eh: (It was finally replaced)

-Rear sliding window weatherstripping deformed. (had window repair shop silicone weatherstripping under warranty for water tightness.)

-Drivers side insulation backing in carpet repaired after backing wouldn't adhere to floor.

-Loose item ticking against passenger side firewall when wind is blowing (never fixed of found by service.)

-Engine ticking that sounded like bad lifters/valves. Service said normal, but I never believed it. New Pathfinders DOHC is quiet, no lifter/valve train noise.

-Constant clunking in rear end. Service said normal, but after rear end failure, I'm not so sure. Never any clunking on Nissan Xterra or Nissan Pathfinder, both with rear and front differentials.

-Throttle on demand not responsive occasionally. Service never found a problem.

-Bed sidewall caps allow water to channel under them and into truck bed front corners. Must be siliconed on the inside edge to keep water out when used with tonneau covers.

-Radio replaced because lost all AM reception and treble kept fading in and out when FM or CD listening.

-Window Switches don't work right (Fixed after 2 visits because of part order)

-Passenger and Driver side mirrors replaced because of terrible shaking. (New mirrors developed shaking but not near the extent of the originals.)

-Brake Judders (3 times took to fix mine)

-Various dash rattles (None fixed after dealer having it for several days:crying: )

-Passenger seat rattles and squeaks (never fixed after dealer having it for several days. :crying: Family making fun that the truck was falling apart.)

-Paint chips rust very easily. Paint is very thin and EVERY chip developed RUST immediately. 5 Year old Nissan Xterra had chips, but never had any that went to bare metal because of thicker paint.

-After permanent brake judder fix, brakes failed after emergency stop where pedal was bouncing off of floor. (never duplicated but adjusted pedal height through TSB.)

-Rear end howling and vibrating between 3500 - 4000 rpm, and a jerking back and forth on 4000 rpm passing gear down shift. Rear end was going out. Fluid was changed to synthetic ~6000 miles, which obviously had no affect. Upon delivery, my differential fluid was full, and differential never was hot enough to bake paint off. This was the final straw, I got rid of truck after 22,000 miles.:) :) :) :).

Titan was 3rd worst vehicle ever owned.

First was 1994 Plymouth Sundance Duster 3.0 V6 where everything mechanical/cosmetic went wrong. Problems weren't being fixed. It was bought back by Chrysler willingly.

Second was 1996 Chevy Camaro 3.8L V6 where once again everything went wrong. Problems weren't being fixed. Chevy wouldn't stand behind product and said I'd have to take them to court to make them do right by me. It was actually cheaper for me to trade, as I was offered a good trade in value. I'll never spend another cent on GM crap, that they won't even stand behind.

Third was 2004 4X4 XE CC Off-Road Titan, list above. Problems were all being fixed correctly, but once one was fixed, a new one would appear. Didn't have the patience or willingness to gamble on being stranded in deadly cold weather, where brakes would fail again, or where rear end would fail again while pulling my camper. Traded it and took a loss because of it's low resale and high gas prices.

Previous Titan was 2004 XE 4X4 Smoke Crew Cab with Preferred and Off Road packages, drop in liner, and tailgate extender. Added Nissan Side Steps, Nissan hitch receiver, Nissan bug guard, and Tonneau Master's Rolling Cover.

I think CRs pages aren't even worthy for TP but they aren't the only ones who have sited the Armadas, Titans, and Quests problems. All 3 being made by untrained Mississippi hands. :rolleyes: Nissan should have expanded the Tennessee plant instead of resting their new truck's reputation on inexperienced people who obviously didn't know how to assemble vehicles. This is obvious by all the previous complaints of missing trim, features, and options on trucks where dealerships had to finish assembling them.

Nissan really, really screwed up. Hopefully 2006 owners won't have near the problems. I've had my Pathy near a month with 1500 miles and not one problem. I was already on 3 or 4 with the Titan by this time and had troubles the first week with the Titan. I'm really, really glad that not everyone had the same truck troubles as I had.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
377 Posts
One thing I've learned about CR over the years is I always shop used/new cars off the list of cars to avoid or the *not recommended* vehicles. Those are usually the best cars I've ever owned. It hasn't failed me yet........now I did buy a 2001 Corolla thinking it would be a great car since they so highly recommend Yotas.......ha, yeah right, after 3 months I couldn't wait to dump that thing. Never could trust it, always broke something. Went back to the unreliable list after that, lol.

My Titan hasn't been a saint, but I do have to say in the past 20k miles she's impressed me. After the front diff failure at 4800 miles, the rear diff failure at 5800 miles, and the brake judder at 15k she's been solid as a rock. I run her pretty darn hard (have the pics to prove it) and after 25,000 miles she has no rattles or current issues. I fully plan on keeping her past the end of the lease.

BTW, CR makes a great firestarter......lol.

·
Banned
204 Posts
You guys crack me up. If CR had stated the opposite then everyone on here would be posting the article justifying their purchase, saying how great the truck is and that CR is a great magazine for recognizing this fact. But instead they apparently state that the truck is "not recommended" so all come out of the closet shooting down CR for not being responsible.

I love the contradictions of forums on the net.

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
BAT1 said:
You guys crack me up. If CR had stated the opposite then everyone on here would be posting the article justifying their purchase, saying how great the truck is and that CR is a great magazine for recognizing this fact. But instead they apparently state that the truck is "not recommended" so all come out of the closet shooting down CR for not being responsible.

I love the contradictions of forums on the net.
I've been a CR hater for years because they allways used to test one cheap thing against another. Wow the Wirlpool makes the best dishwasher but oops, sorry we left KItchenaid out of the test all together. It would be like testing half ton trucks and leaving out Toyota. My gripe with CR goes way back and I haven't bothered looking at what they had to say about anything in years. If I see a label on something as rated number one by CR, I allways wonder which great brands were left out of the test because they don't meet the median price point criteria. If I want to know about great stereos, would I bother checking consumer reports? I think I would pick up an audiophile magazine and if I want to know about trucks I'll get a truck magazine. I just have no use for a magazine that tries to be an expert source of information on all products. Somebody please sing the praises of consumer reports and prove me wrong as I would love to buy one magazine with an expert opinion on all products and find truth in it's pages.
:boxing:

·
Registered
1 Posts
My Titan hasn't been a saint, but I do have to say in the past 20k miles she's impressed me. After the front diff failure at 4800 miles, the rear diff failure at 5800 miles, and the brake judder at 15k she's been solid as a rock. I run her pretty darn hard (have the pics to prove it) and after 25,000 miles she has no rattles or current issues. I fully plan on keeping her past the end of the lease.

Its amazing how people make a decision to buy a certain brand vehicle, in many cases not having owned that brand in any model before and all of a sudden its a pride thing if anyone knocks it. You should expect much more then what all went out on your truck for the prices they ask for it. Its not a reflection on you to admit that they need to do better but it seems every forum I go to while they admit faults they must point out that they love that there truck and its the best on the road. Rearend out, brakes replaced 3 or 4 times and after 20K miles she is solid as a rock, lmao.
And its not just here that people love their trucks cause apparantly Dodge has the best truck on the road, as does Ford and Chevy. I have actually read people goading other people for complaining about something going wrong on a 30K plus vehicle as no big deal. To the person that laid down the 30K plus its a big deal and they should be able to expect working parts. The truck has been around for years now so its not like we are trying to figure out a new space shuttle. I am a prospective buyer and I just had to comment. Hopefully no offense taken because it is amusing to watch on all the forums. The bed could fall of the F150 and you would read, sorry to hear that, well the bed hasn't falling off mine, she is the best truck on the road and if the bed falls off leaving me stranded and ruining my day, possibly missing work, having to drive a Kia Sentra loaner for a week or two, well she is under warranty and Ford will fix her right up. Ford rules!!

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
I wonder if CR listed the new 06 Honda Civic as reliable. They just had a recall for the accelerator peddal on the news this morning. Seems it sticks and was assembled incorrectly.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Flyguy,

Agree 100%. CR is a very left leaning publication... but, the ratings are based upon DATA without the subjective crap used by other publications and without the influence of advertisers dollars.

Almost surely the Titan would have done better with more data. Next year the data will be more complete and the Titan will almost surely be more highly rated.

Remarks that CR was unfair to Suzuki are unfounded. Folks need to read the facts before trashing a nonprofit publication that has had a major impact upon improvement of consumer products.

There sure are a lot of kids on the forum. :=)

·
Registered
258 Posts
JefeCinco said:
Almost surely the Titan would have done better with more data. Next year the data will be more complete and the Titan will almost surely be more highly rated.
Don’t count on it. If anything they are fairly consistent.

I have a 4Runner V6, when they first reviewed it (a V6 as well) they recommended it and based on past history gave it a good reliability score. Well soon after Toyota recalled early V6 4Runners due to an improperly manufactured part. In their yearly review they downgraded the reliability rating to poor for the V6. AFAIK there have been no other recalls or problems with the V6 4Runner but they still continue to rate the vehicle as poor.

It makes sense; if you subscribe to CR, you would tend to make decisions based upon their recommendations. If a vehicle rates poorly, a majority of their subscribers wouldn’t include it on their comparison list, much less purchase the vehicle. Hence FEWER data points will be compiled to reflect any changes that would merit a reassessment or an upgrade.

And it’s funny that some of you will point out that you’ve had to have brakes and diffs replaced but somehow the CR review is unfair. Considering that JD Power also rated the IQS of the Titan poorly, can you really be that surprised?

·
Vendor
32,977 Posts
Wow, reading alot of these posts and not to much got to the point of this thread.

CR saying the Titan is Not Recommended is the story and my opinion on that is just crap. Yea every vehicle has its issues but to say Not Recommended because of issues that have been solved it just plain BS. I would hope Nissan would fight that claim some how.

Now, I'm sure there are people out there that will go with what ever CR says and will stick by it, prolly share the info with friends. That is the only part that would bother me about there claim.

just my thoughts

·
Registered
121 Posts
92TripleBlack said:
Toyota, the ones who took 4 years to fix the brake problems and waited until many owners were no longer covered by warranty. Good job CR. :rolleyes:
Yep thats absolutely right! Toyota has been having some massive recalls lately! I would never turn my Titan in for a Tundra! Tundra has a maximum towing capacity @6500lbs when properly equipped! What a plug!!! Our Frontiers can tow that! :futwice:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Frankly, CR has assembled the largest group of totally imcompetent people yet seen on the planet. If you rely on this group, you do so at your own peril.

I've watched their rag since inception, and they have no objective standards in judging anything. You're much better off asking your neighbors about products. Some people just have to learn the hard way, however. The truth is, for whatever reason, some folks want the folks at CR to be right.

I somehow suspect it's a mindset problem, and you'll never win them over through logical discussion, since they really live in an alternative reality, and emotion, not logic or fact, drives their reality.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.