Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have been displeased to read about certain things that Nissan has done recently to cut some corners-at least that's what I'd call it.

1. Non-adjustable Cam Alignment bolts on lower a-arms
2. Chrome Package on mirrors/door handles now an option on SE/LE models, correct?
3. Chrome wheel "covers"-absolutely lame!!!
4. 08 XE models with non-color match front bumper/grille
5. 08 XE models with el-cheapo wheels

What are anyone else's thoughts? I personally think these are some bad marketing decisions.

·
Super Moderator
159,619 Posts
54warrior said:
Have been displeased to read about certain things that Nissan has done recently to cut some corners-at least that's what I'd call it.

2. Chrome Package on mirrors/door handles now an option on SE/LE models, correct?

What are anyone else's thoughts? I personally think these are some bad marketing decisions.
It's pretty obvious they're on a tight budget. Evident in other models as well.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I tried to come up with a way of not sounding like a prick, but that's not really my style.

XE is base. If buyers don't like the way the base looks, then they need to upgrade. If they can't afford to upgrade, then maybe they should look at buying used.

I hate to sound like an ***, but it is what it is. It's the cheaper base model, so I don't see why anyone could be angry about it looking like a cheaper base model.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I agree with bconne1. Some don't care for all the bells and whistles, so why have to pay for things they don't need or want. I don't really care much for the "Packages" either. They force you to take things you don't need just to get one or two items that you really want.

·
Registered
5,748 Posts
What is the consumer cost on the new XE? Is it less than previous years? They could be cutting costs to pass on to the consumers...... Also, they might be getting ready to release a "work" version with no bells and whistles with vinyl seats and rubber floors. They might be gauging the public's interest in the cheaper models. Who knows? We will find out eventually...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yellomantis said:
Also, they might be getting ready to release a "work" version with no bells and whistles with vinyl seats and rubber floors.
I'm a fan of this idea. I think Nissan cranked out what - 90,000 Titans per year? That's really not a lot considering Ford sells that many each year.

They could be looking to tap into a new fleet market that was previously difficult for them to get into.

·
Vendor
32,925 Posts
bconne1 said:
I tried to come up with a way of not sounding like a prick, but that's not really my style.

XE is base. If buyers don't like the way the base looks, then they need to upgrade. If they can't afford to upgrade, then maybe they should look at buying used.

I hate to sound like an ***, but it is what it is. It's the cheaper base model, so I don't see why anyone could be angry about it looking like a cheaper base model.

I agree with that 100%. Take a look at a base Ford or Chevy/GM, wheels are crap, interior is bare. Base means Base, cheap price = cheap truck IMO

Yellomantis said:
What is the consumer cost on the new XE? Is it less than previous years? They could be cutting costs to pass on to the consumers...... Also, they might be getting ready to release a "work" version with no bells and whistles with vinyl seats and rubber floors. They might be gauging the public's interest in the cheaper models. Who knows? We will find out eventually...

good point with the XE's, with GM and FORD dwindling the Titan could be a force with Fleet Trucks.

More HP & TQ than F-150 & Sierra/Svlrado.. Could be were there aiming at.

54warrior said:

The XE has always had sorryass wheels but I do admit the 08's look hideous, there could be a story behind that.

As far as the chrome package being a option, not everyone likes Chrome. Someone may want a LE but doesnt want chrome mirrors or handles. Look at how many on here do swaps!

·
Registered
5,748 Posts
P's Titan said:
I agree with that 100%. Take a look at a base Ford or Chevy/GM, wheels are crap, interior is bare. Base means Base, cheap price = cheap truck IMO

good point with the XE's, with GM and FORD dwindling the Titan could be a force with Fleet Trucks.

More HP & TQ than F-150 & Sierra/Svlrado.. Could be were there aiming at.

The XE has always had sorryass wheels but I do admit the 08's look hideous, there could be a story behind that.

As far as the chrome package being a option, not everyone likes Chrome. Someone may want a LE but doesnt want chrome mirrors or handles. Look at how many on here do swaps!
Personally, I think the Titan would look awsome with a service body attached to it.

Also, I absolutely hate chrome, hence, I am one of the ones that have done the chrome swap. The only reason I got an LE was because it was actually cheaper than the SE's the dealer had on the lot. Also, it was the color I wanted.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Non-adjustable Cam Alignment bolts on lower a-arms
Nissan seems to make this a habit with a new model release. For example, my 1990 240SX did not have cam bolts, but the 1989 did, which was the year this model was released.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
all i can say is,for the price of gas it takes to drive it, it might as well be decked out. I'm not spending 100 a week in gas just for the engine. I bought it for styling, function, versatility, power and speed!

·
Banned
1,269 Posts
I'm loving the new plastic "chrome" caps. They just make my real chrome wheels that much more in demand.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I think there's an opportunity here that we may not be seeing. Maybe the 'base' truck is a way to sell a dealer-line of aftermarket addons, like Dodge and GM do with their base trucks. Hopefully Nissan is coming out with something like that.

Most of those guys buying base trucks will do one of two things: take it to the jobsite and beat the crap out of it, or tear off all the cheap-looking geegaws and put on stuff like upgraded grilles and wheels and such.

For this old hotrodder, I would have loved to have a base truck available with Big Tow. Once I got it off the lot, I would have immediately been thinking of hand-bending a grille for it, because that base one pictured elsewhere is... well... not as pretty. And the hundred and fifty bucks it would have saved me on the payments every month would have been a LOT easier to take.

Good for Nissan to keep the CHASSIS quality in the truck up, but just hang cheaper outsides on it. Case in point: I have a buddy who's a front-end guy, and he just can't figure out what Ford was thinking with their tie rod ends. He tells me that after a while (as little as 13,000 miles from what he's seen) they'll 'take a set' and before you know it, the truck is all over the road. In the same breath, he tells me that if he ever needs a lawyer, he wants the guys who got Ford out of those rollover lawsuits and got the blame pointed to the tire manufacturer.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Though I was quite pleased to see that my '06 had a matching spare wheel, why not ditch that instead - how often will that be used - and keep a nicer grille?

They'll save money in manufacturing with the new XE front end because they won't have to make any because nobody will want them!

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Oh yeah, I forgot about that. 07 models have the 08 XE steel wheel for a spare.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I understand the XE bashing to an extent. I just bought one. Why? Because I wanted a Titan. Not a tundra, f150, silverado, etc. I love my truck. Sure it has no bells, no whistles. in all honesty all I want is rims from a nicer model and I will be completely content. I got a brand new truck, with a warranty for what i was paying for a 2001 grand cherokee. My buddy just bought a used 04 f150 with no options outside of power locks and windows for more than i paid for mine new. His has 56000 miles and no warranty. Sometimes things come out before hitting the brain and thinking of some of the reasoning behind decisions. Now someone sell me me some dang rims and tires!!!!!

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
If they are going to downgrade the XE (I am a very proud XE owner; with the Pop Pkg which brings it close to an SE), make it the E Model as originally planned before the line was actually introduced. The main dif between my XE and a base SE is an electronic compass and garage door opener! Oh, and I really needed the bench seats.

It is a discrace to downgrade an existing model to cut cost. You have to compete to win.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
my xe came with 20" wheels from the dealer, cause you know nobody likes the oem cookie cutter wheels. you get what you pay for. and i think i got a good deal on mine. $18,000 out the door. if nissan keeps this **** up i might end up upgrading to an escalade instead of a loaded LE.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
MuskyHunter said:
Oh yeah, I forgot about that. 07 models have the 08 XE steel wheel for a spare.
well i have an 07 se offroad pakage and i have an offroad rim as a spare so im lost to what your pointing at

1 - 20 of 20 Posts