Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you think is the price one could buy a new 4wd truck for? Any brand. Not loaded with every bell and whistle at all, just a decent truck. I ask because my brother is in the market and he is thinking of buying a used Toyota 4runner (SUV but has a truck body) and what he is looking at is in the $30k area. Hmmm... how much is new?! Trucks are high but I figured somebody might have a feel for new truck prices. He will have to buy a 4runner with some miles on it. Or how do you think we could figure this out? Do they list new truck final all-in prices on websites? TIA.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
31k 4x4 crew cabs base models in Tennessee

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Titan Pro-4X 2006 Titan SE (sold) Chevy SS Sedan
442 Posts
This one is $35K Not loaded, but 4x4. And keep in mind that 0% APR would be like an extra $5000-ish under a "normal" purchase if you finance it for 6 years.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anyone have a feel for Dodge trucks, are they 'cheaper' than most anything else? Wondering if we could find any truck for around $30k out the door. I dunno... if I had the choice of a used Toyota 4runner (with some/lots of miles on it) versus a new pickup, I'd buy new. A pickup is going to have a v8 for one thing. He might pull a trailer of some sort down the way. I am leery of a 6cyl vehicle such as a 4runner's payload and pulling capacity. The 4runner is kind of a Tacoma SUV. (I realize even a 1/2 ton is limited on what it can pull.)

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
1,691 Posts
Dodge usually has a good engine and transmission but the rest of the truck dies all the time. Ac will go out, seats will stop moving, the sensor that reads the key will stop working, they just have lots of weird problems.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dodge usually has a good engine and transmission but the rest of the truck dies all the time. Ac will go out, seats will stop moving, the sensor that reads the key will stop working, they just have lots of weird problems.
That's not good. Whatever he buys might be the last vehicle he ever buys or second last for sure. Needs to last ten years or longer. What do you think is pretty reliable? He was thinking of buying some type of Lexus SUV, used, read some reviews about people customizing them for boondocking but I discouraged him from that due to repair costs. I'm no expert but I am not keen on anything with 'luxury' stamped on it, the repairs are so high. Cadillac, Lexus, Mercedes, BMW, etc.

Might have to increase his budget from $30k to $40k.

·
Registered
442 Posts
The price I listed was for a crew cab. Might find a king cab for about 3-4k less, but personally, I'd just go ahead with a crew cab as you'll see more money on the resale. I'd like to say just find a 2-3 year old truck, but I always wonder what made the original owner sell his/her truck after 2 years, was it starting to have mechanical problems? Was the previous owner not satisfied with the truck? Were they having trouble making payments? If someone generally can't make payments on something, it makes you wonder what other careless habits they might've had, or if they skimped on the oil changes or gas in an attempt to save money.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The price I listed was for a crew cab. Might find a king cab for about 3-4k less, but personally, I'd just go ahead with a crew cab as you'll see more money on the resale. I'd like to say just find a 2-3 year old truck, but I always wonder what made the original owner sell his/her truck after 2 years, was it starting to have mechanical problems? Was the previous owner not satisfied with the truck? Were they having trouble making payments? If someone generally can't make payments on something, it makes you wonder what other careless habits they might've had, or if they skimped on the oil changes or gas in an attempt to save money.
Scores of responsible people simply have lost their jobs. I know a guy who had a gorgeous F150 that I drooled over and even stopped to ask him one time what year is it. It's 2015. Anyway, he lost his job and it's gone. Modern trucks and their big pricetags create huge monthly notes. I can buy a nice house in my small town for what many trucks cost now.

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
1,691 Posts
And I would be totally fine buying a base model titan for 31k and be comfortable it would last for as long as i would ever need it.

I feel the same about ford f150s but you are not getting a new one for 30k range unless it's a v6, and not an ecoboost.

I would not buy a chevy or a dodge but that's just my family has done plumbing since my stepdad got out of the Marine corps in the mid 80s. Dodge and chevy always had crap break if you used them as work trucks but ford always lasted. I know times have changed but I just read over and over about chevy transmissions failing between 80-100k miles on the trucks and suburbans. It's 8k for a new one from chevy. Dodge just had those odd issues that I got tired of fixing for people. I will never own a chevy unless it's a standard trans and no dodges.

My dad loves his titan. It's a 2015 and he has driven it across the usa a few times. I have only had my 2017 for about 6 months and I really like it. The wife already wants to trade it next year for a newer one though so I will step down to an s model (base model), probably, because it will most likely be the last truck I buy and it has less junk that I don't use on it, sincell the models have the same engine and transmission.

that's the main thing to me is the engine and trans on these trucks.

I would also take a first gen like my Dad's 2015. 2015, 2014, etc but since I already have second gen, I will get another one when it's time unless ford ecoboosts drop down to a competitive price, which I don't think will happen. I just grew up with ford f150s and have always wanted a new one but unless they are significantly cheaper then they are now, I won't get one when I can get another titan and be just as happy

·
Registered
442 Posts
Scores of responsible people simply have lost their jobs. I know a guy who had a gorgeous F150 that I drooled over and even stopped to ask him one time what year is it. It's 2015. Anyway, he lost his job and it's gone. Modern trucks and their big pricetags create huge monthly notes. I can buy a nice house in my small town for what many trucks cost now.

Don't get me wrong, I know that sometimes [email protected]!^& happens, but I've seen some instances where some people have damaged their vehicles when it's in the process of repossession, so for me it's just going by the odds. Unbeknownst to the person having their car repossessed, they will most likely get hit with the cost of repairs.

The last used car I ever bought was from a private seller. I went to go roll the window down and apparently the previous owner was a habitual nose picker. I kid you not, there was literally a line of boogers about 3 inches in length on the window where it tucks inside the door. I have done my damnedest since then to make sure I can buy new, and that sometimes meant that I had to buy a "lesser" car.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I've been looking at options to replace our 2007 Titan.
The new Titan is out of the equation for us, I whittled it down to either a new F-150 or whenever the new Tundra comes out (possibly even the new Frontier).
I've only been able to price the 2021 F-150, and the spec I would get is called "XLT 301A" with a few options. This is roughly equivalent to my current 2007 Titan SE CC Big Tow that also had some upgrades. The F-150 XLT 301A is about $58K MSRP.

The other part of this discussion is that vehicle production is still being impacted by the CCP virus scamdemic and chip shortages. And for some peculiar reason people are still buying what's left, probably because of 0% financing. Heck, I looked at replacing my 2014 Q60 with a 2021 Q60 and I could get 72 months at 0%!
But, because of all of these factors, the actual selling price of both new and used cars is elevated. At least here on the West Coast, many cars have ADM applied, and the rest are good luck trying to get under MSRP.
Used cars are even worse, 3 y/o cars are basically selling for near their original MSRP....here on the West Coast.

4Runners are actually a good vehicle. Underpowered and usually driven by posers with roof top tents and high jacks mounted for daily driving, but a good vehicle nonetheless. Unlike the Tacoma, it still uses the good ol' 4.0 V6 and 5AT. A proven, reliable, long lasting powertrain. And resale is always good for these.
Back in 2009 I bought my Titan over a Tacoma basically because, like you said, you can get much more truck and a V8 for similar money. In 12+ years my Titan has been dead reliable, like any good Japanese vehicle.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've been looking at options to replace our 2007 Titan.
The new Titan is out of the equation for us, I whittled it down to either a new F-150 or whenever the new Tundra comes out (possibly even the new Frontier).
I've only been able to price the 2021 F-150, and the spec I would get is called "XLT 301A" with a few options. This is roughly equivalent to my current 2007 Titan SE CC Big Tow that also had some upgrades. The F-150 XLT 301A is about $58K MSRP.

The other part of this discussion is that vehicle production is still being impacted by the CCP virus scamdemic and chip shortages. And for some peculiar reason people are still buying what's left, probably because of 0% financing. Heck, I looked at replacing my 2014 Q60 with a 2021 Q60 and I could get 72 months at 0%!
But, because of all of these factors, the actual selling price of both new and used cars is elevated. At least here on the West Coast, many cars have ADM applied, and the rest are good luck trying to get under MSRP.
Used cars are even worse, 3 y/o cars are basically selling for near their original MSRP....here on the West Coast.

4Runners are actually a good vehicle. Underpowered and usually driven by posers with roof top tents and high jacks mounted for daily driving, but a good vehicle nonetheless. Unlike the Tacoma, it still uses the good ol' 4.0 V6 and 5AT. A proven, reliable, long lasting powertrain. And resale is always good for these.
Back in 2009 I bought my Titan over a Tacoma basically because, like you said, you can get much more truck and a V8 for similar money. In 12+ years my Titan has been dead reliable, like any good Japanese vehicle.
Why is a new Titan out of the equation? Simply curious.

I cannot imagine paying list price for a vehicle. Wow, times have changed.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Why is a new Titan out of the equation? Simply curious.

I cannot imagine paying list price for a vehicle. Wow, times have changed.
Well, I believe that in the US market Nissan no longer has a Extended Cab Pro-4X version available. I currently have a Crew Cab Titan, and it's served us well for a long time but the next truck I'd prefer less cab and more bed AND Pro-4x.
Seems Nissan also won't be offering the new Frontier Pro-4x in anything other than Crew Cab short bed. If I really want one of those, I'll be able to go to Canada and get one! And risk having a Canadian model that Nissan may not warranty. Anyways, I really want a 6.5' bed next go around, and I really want a TRD, Tremor, Pro-4X, etc but seems every single manufacturer is only offering those packages only on short bed 4 doors.

Also, for the Gen2 Titan I am uneasy about the cylinder 7 issue and absolutely not a fan of the Ford door windows. I really personally prefer the looks of the Gen1 Titan. However, the Gen2 Titan, especially 2021 models, has an excellent interior!

MSRP is out of control on trucks. Even though it is no secret that auto manufacturers make several thousand, many times tens of thousands of profits on trucks, people have no issue buying them up. Even at invoice, many fancy-pants trucks are WAYYYY to much money. But consumers are irrational, I guess?!

Reactions: busemans

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What does "Pro-4x" mean, what does that include? I didn't know it actually meant something, lol. I have not been as serious about knowing the details as many truck enthusiasts.

·
Registered
688 Posts
What does "Pro-4x" mean, what does that include? I didn't know it actually meant something, lol. I have not been as serious about knowing the details as many truck enthusiasts.
It generally includes skid plates, off-road shocks, a locking rear diff, graphics, interior trim pieces, etc. It's the most capable version of off-road truck Nissan makes for both the Frontier and Titan.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts