Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As most of you know I'm originally from up here in PA but moved to FL when I was 18 and lived there the last 14 years. Plus when I lived up here I never had a 4wd, I always had fwd cars. Anyway when the roads are snowy/slushy do ya'll just run in 4wd or do you use 2wd and just hit 4wd if it starts to spin? And is it ok to even run 4wd (obviously 4 hi) all the time if the roads are slick. I know you can't (or not supposed to anyway) run it on dry roads because it can destroy the front diff if you make turns on dry pavement in 4wd. Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I don't use 4wd unless I absolutely need to. You just don't want to be in 4wd on pavement for too long, especially if your turning and stuff. And around here there's always patches of snow and ice, then a stretch of pavement, then more snow and ice, etc..

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
My personal experience in the North East is to only use 4wd when the roads are snow and or slush covered. Since I never go 4x4 I look forward to turning the switch in bad winter weather and I don't wait to spin out.

·
Registered
372 Posts
You should only put it in 4Hi when you can no longer see pavement .

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
As most of you know I'm originally from up here in PA but moved to FL when I was 18 and lived there the last 14 years. Plus when I lived up here I never had a 4wd, I always had fwd cars. Anyway when the roads are snowy/slushy do ya'll just run in 4wd or do you use 2wd and just hit 4wd if it starts to spin? And is it ok to even run 4wd (obviously 4 hi) all the time if the roads are slick. I know you can't (or not supposed to anyway) run it on dry roads because it can destroy the front diff if you make turns on dry pavement in 4wd. Thanks for any advice.
If you wait until you spin in 4WD, it can be too late depending on the situation. There's no need to use it on dry pavement....you'll just prematurely wear the tires out. some will lead you to believe you'll break something but although possible, not probable because it's the tires that'll scub and wear...steel is stronger than rubber so use it if you need it. I'm on my 2nd Titan and have had MANY 4WDs and I use 4WD sometimes in bad rain storms with no problems at all. Also, unless you're making sharp turns, it doesn't matter if you're in 4WD. So if it's slick or looks slick???..don't wait until you lose control to fire up the old 4WD! It's better to maintain control rather than use it to get control back once you've lost it.

·
Registered
197 Posts
If you wait until you spin in 4WD, it can be too late depending on the situation. There's no need to use it on dry pavement....you'll just prematurely wear the tires out. some will lead you to believe you'll break something but although possible, not probable because it's the tires that'll scub and wear...steel is stronger than rubber so use it if you need it. I'm on my 2nd Titan and have had MANY 4WDs and I use 4WD sometimes in bad rain storms with no problems at all. Also, unless you're making sharp turns, it doesn't matter if you're in 4WD. So if it's slick or looks slick???..don't wait until you lose control to fire up the old 4WD! It's better to maintain control rather than use it to get control back once you've lost it.
Totally agree! I run when icy and slick in Colorado. It's patchy here and the snow plows miss alot and leave alot of snow and ice. I've done 50+ mile drives in 4 hi. No problems with 3 Titans and one Frontier.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome, thanks for the info and tips guys. That's kinda what I figured, if it's nasty and and there isn't much bare pavement then i'll put it in 4hi and if it's just a few spots here and there I'll leave it in 2wd. And I think we really can damage our front diffs by leaving them in 4wd on dry pavement and making turns and stuff.

Also one other question I forgot about the other day. I remember back in the day everybody used to put dry gas in their tanks and also make sure your tanks stay pretty topped off in the winter to keep them from getting condensation/ice in their gas tanks. This was back when 99% of the cars still had steel tanks and their was none of this garbage E10 gas. Is it still a good idea to use some dry gas or keep your tank topped off during the winter with this new gas and new tanks/lines? I know it's a good idea to keep the tank high anyway for saefty reasons too, like if your stuck in a snow bank or something you can still run the vehicle for heat but I was just wanting to know about the whole condensation/ice thing. Thanks for any info. Oh and we got my wife a really sharp 05 Jeep Grand Cherokee limited too so she also has 4wd for the winter! If ya'll want to see pics of it I'll post some up. I know it's a titan forum though, but this thing is insane! It's got the 4.7 V8 and is like a mercedes on the inside. It has everything from dual zone climate control down to the rain sensing wipers! I actually really enjoy driving it and it's actually pretty ballsy too for being just the 4.7 and not the hemi. Anyway thanks again for any help guys.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh and one more question. Sorry but I promise this will be my last one for now. But the last few times we've gotten a real heavy frost my tonneau covor freezes to my tailgate and I can't get my tailgate open! LOL. Does this happen to anybody else? I have the rugged cover one that's almost identicle to the extang trifecta so by not being able to get my tailgate open I can't even open the tonneau cover so I have no access to my bed. I don't use my bed a lot but I don't want to need it sometime and not be able to. Anybody got any tips on how to keep it from happening?? I was thining maybe something like a thin layer of vaseline on the seal or something might keep it from freezing?

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
make sure that you are careful when using 4wd in wintery conditions. It will help you to get going fast but won't help at all to stop or corner so be careful with that...

as for the gas thing I have never put anything in my tank other than gas from the gas station. I keep the tank above 1/4, thats about it. Oh another thing you may want to do is leave your parking break off so it doesn't freeze up. (when parking after driving in snow or freezing conditions)

As for the tanneau cover thing I have the same problem. I usually just firmly hit my tailgate with the flat part of my fist by the 2 corners and middle to break the ice free. It works 99% of the time for me.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
I will run a shot of Lucas Fuel Treatment through my tank every now and then...

Lucas Fuel Treatment : Lucas Oil

My tonneau freezes to my tailgate like all the rest. The design of my tonneau allows me to sorta pry it free though.

As for driving. I wouldn't put it in 4wd unless you have to. These trucks 'go' pretty well in the snow, IMO. Better than some other vehicles that I've owned. I suggest finding a parking lot or 'road less traveled' to go do some testing on once it does snow. Get a feel for how the truck is going to react on snow covered roads, in 2wd, and in 4wd. Plus its fun to screw off on snowy roads anyway.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I agree with all the above advice.

Your avatar makes me think that you are depressed. Hope things get better.. :)

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok great. Thanks for all the tips and info guys, I appreciate it.

Reactions: 54warrior

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Your avatar makes me think that you are depressed. Hope things get better.. :)

Hmmm, I don't even know what my avatar is these days. I turned them off because some of them are a bit to risque for here at work.

I just changed it to a more recent one of me on my Polaris RZR, hahaha

1 - 13 of 13 Posts