Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2017 Nissan Titan Cracked frame. Been in the light hauling business for 13 year
s and never seen anything like this. Nissan claimed the reason why is because my hutch was a pull behind?!? My dump trailer is small Sounds like nonsense had Toyota Tundra for 8 years never had this problem

·
Premium Member
69,831 Posts
Overloaded dump trailer maybe? Pics of trailer??

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2017 Nissan Titan Cracked frame. Been in the light hauling business for 13 year View attachment 541762 View attachment 541763 s and never seen anything like this. Nissan claimed the reason why is because my hutch was a pull behind?!? My dump trailer is small Sounds like nonsense had Toyota Tundra for 8 years never had this problem
Those pics are from a 2017 Nissan Titan XD frame snapped in the rear

·
Registered
224 Posts
Yeah, that shouldn't happen. Not sure we have the full story here. Looking at that tire, this truck hasn't had an easy life, but frames still shouldn't crack through unless the truck has been seriously abused/heavily stressed beyond design criteria. If you feel your case is strong, talk to a lawyer.

·
Premium Member
20,454 Posts
If you overloaded the truck, I would expect the leaf spring bracket and shackle to fail first. That's what happened to me with a bumper pull trailer with a tongue weight just over 1,400 lbs. The frame shouldn't fail first.

However, if you're towing a gooseneck or fifth wheel trailer I can see where the frame would break in that spot.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Yeah, that shouldn't happen. Not sure we have the full story here. Looking at that tire, this truck hasn't had an easy life, but frames still shouldn't crack through unless the truck has been seriously abused/heavily stressed beyond design criteria. If you feel your case is strong, talk to a lawyer.
not only that, but the spare wasn't rotated into the mix... .

·
Premium Member
20,454 Posts
What are the specs on your dump trailer and how often did you check the actual tongue weight?

·
Super Moderator
35,449 Posts
There has to be a lot more to this story.

Whatever the details are, I'm sorry that this happened to you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
For what it's worth, this EXACT same crack happened to my 2017 Titan XD. Fortunately for me, I caught it before it completely sheared off. I use my Titan to pull and use a dump trailer, as well. It definitely seems like a design failure on Nissan's part. Mine cracked from the bottom of the frame where there's a large oval shaped hole from the factory that goes at least 3/4 of the way from side to side of the frame. This makes it an extremely weak spot. Once I noticed the crack from the bottom, I took a picture, marked where the top of the crack was, and proceeded to work until I could notice a change. Every time I dumped my trailer, the crack grew upwards more until I had to reinforce it before it completely cracked off like yours did. I believe the crack started when I dumped my trailer and it lifted the front of the trailer when the weight went to the back of the trailer, therefore lifting up on the ball of my hitch, which lifts the frame behind the wheels. Long story short, I met up with a local fab shop that did great work for me in the past and discussed my issue with them. We came up with a plan and it came out great.

We put pressure on the hitch (forklift), which closed the frame gap. Welded the frame back together, then welded a 1/2" fish plate on both sides of the frame on both sides of the truck. We also welded a 1/2" solid metal plate to the bottom of the frame where the crack started. Been using the heck out of my Titan for several months now and zero issues. I have attached pictures. Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a 2004 Titan SV King Cab 4x4, 2017 Titan XD SV crew cab 4x4, and a 2017 Titan XD Platinum reserve. Needless to say, I know these trucks. I got my 2004 back in 2008, so I have been driving them for 12 years. I also used my 2004 Titan to dump my trailer a few times and it also has the same exact crack in the frame. Both were cracked near the passenger rear tire. 2017 Titan XD had 21,XXX miles when I fixed it and the 2004 has 168,XXX miles on it.

In the close up, you can see where I marked with my nail where the crack was only halfway through. A couple weeks later, the crack was 1/2" from the top of the frame and really close to shearing completely off.

Let me know if anyone has any questions or comments. It is an easy and inexpensive fix if you catch it in time.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts