Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(2013 Titan Sv 4x4) odo 132,000
For the past 6-8 months ive had this problem where ill go start my truck (no clicking sound) ill let it warm up and as i proceed to accellerate i get a loud clicking sound at moderate throttle. But after about 20 - 40 seconds of accellerating it fades off (maybe heat causing the gap to close?) I would be more than happy to know this is early signs of a cracked header.
My first vehicle was a 99 silverado 5.3. And i remember exactly what a sticky lifter sounds like. And its pretty damn close to the sound my truck makes for that short period of time. (I know we dont have lifters) Its just that clicky "internal" sounding noise. But its definately a little louder on the titan.
Ive recently changed my valve covers to correct a smoking issue. I admired the cams for a minute, didnt see anything out of the ordinary. But i didnt even think to check valve lash (I dont even know if theyre adjustable). Could this be the issue? Is this common? My oil changes are always on schedule. I even added lucas synthetic oil treatment on my previous oil change and nothing changed.
What do you guys think it is?

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
So it does this every time at 20-40 mph even after the engine is warmed up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So it does this every time at 20-40 mph even after the engine is warmed up

Yes but it only lasts like 20 seconds while accellerating. And once its done, it doesnt do it for the rest of the drive.My oil pressure is fine at idle.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Pneumatic valve tappets so they dont need adjustment. Correct me if I'm wrong. If one bled down it would only tick for a couple seconds on startup till oil pressure got there.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
See if any of these sounds sound like it

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
See if any of these sounds sound like it

Nope. Nothing like that. Looks like its time for the switch to long tubes and uprev.
Question, is it worth the hassle installing long tubes at home having 4wd. Ive heard some horror stories. Theres a shop around here thatll install them for 600$ in labor.

·
Premium Member
20,553 Posts
Nope. Nothing like that. Looks like its time for the switch to long tubes and uprev.
Question, is it worth the hassle installing long tubes at home having 4wd. Ive heard some horror stories. Theres a shop around here thatll install them for 600$ in labor.
If you can get them installed for $600 in labor, do it. As I recall, the book labor time is 8 hours.

I've done two manifold/header installed on the VK56. Both were 4x4. The first one I did solo and thought I was going to be done in 5 hours until I checked the clearance between the header (JBA) and the motor mounts. That took 3 more hours. The second install went easier with three of us and we finished with no complications in around four hours.

The downside of a shop doing it is that they won't put as much care into it as you do. The shop might not have cared about the motor mount clearance.

Reactions: noel55

·
Registered
13 Posts
I changed both of mine but I had access to a lift and good tools. Yes this can be done at home but I wouldn't recommend it for most people. About 7.5 hrs including the time to cut out the heat shields ahead of time to confirm a crack. I expected the right side crack but not the left too (which was worse). Went with a nice set of Magnaflows (pn 49356/49357) so I'm still emissions compliant. All other precat manifolds that I've found looked like crap.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts