Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hearing a ticking from the engine area of my 2004 titan which I believe is a minor crack in the manifold. I was going to purchase the JBA long tube headers, but I saw on Cajun Pipes that an up rev tune is necessary as it is not a flex fuel model and running lean could cause damage. I was planning on just keeping the stock exhaust (after the headers) at the moment.
I really don't want to spend a ton of money for an exhaust on a 2004 and I am not looking for crazy performance, just dependability. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Going Cajun will still maintain dependability. UPRev can be tuned to meet your persoanl needs. IMO, I would lose the stock exhaust because the flow design is terrible. Your truck will idle/run more efficient. You won't be sorry.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Get the Cajun stage 1 and it comes with uprev. You upload a basic header tune before you put them on so it'll run until you can get the personal tune.

Then chop off your stock muff and put on an aftermarket until you want a catback exhaust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Another thought: you could get the crack welded, or replaced with another stocker. The new one will eventually crack again, but it could get you by for a long time depending on how things go.

·
Registered
167 Posts
If you're under warranty then have them replace it. If you're not, headers are FAR less likely to crack so they're the preferred choice.

·
Vendor
7,921 Posts
Welding will not last and the labor to remove is something you only want once. Cajun Bpipes | shreveport, LA 71129 has the permanent fix. Beware of any aftermarket manifold as those have a horrible track record also due to the design.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I am hearing a ticking from the engine area of my 2004 titan which I believe is a minor crack in the manifold. I was going to purchase the JBA long tube headers, but I saw on Cajun Pipes that an up rev tune is necessary as it is not a flex fuel model and running lean could cause damage. I was planning on just keeping the stock exhaust (after the headers) at the moment.

I really don't want to spend a ton of money for an exhaust on a 2004 and I am not looking for crazy performance, just dependability. Any thoughts?

Plus your all around performance will be better with headers anyway. I gained 1-3 mpg with my economy uprev tune

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all he great advice! Looks like headers and exhaust is the way to go. I still want to keep the truck for several more years.
Any advice on finding an installer in NJ?
Is a muffler shop better than a general do it all mechanic? A little too big a job for me to handle myself.

Thanks!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Thanks for all he great advice! Looks like headers and exhaust is the way to go. I still want to keep the truck for several more years.

Any advice on finding an installer in NJ?

Is a muffler shop better than a general do it all mechanic? A little too big a job for me to handle myself.

Thanks!

Definitely go with a muffler guy. He may be the only guy you can find to do it anyway. The mechanics in my town wouldn't touch my headers. Depending on your local laws you might have trouble finding someone to do it since they're technically "for Offroad use only". Just have to call around.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I just went through this...

I replaced mine with Magnaflow header and cats.
The job sucked. I did get comments by guys on here that the Magnaflows are no better than stock. I doubt that comment.
As soon as you pull the first manifold off, you will see the Nissan flaw.

If you decide to tackle this project yourself, the only advice I can give you is do the left side first.
The drivers side is so difficult and time consuming that when you finish you won't want to tackle the right side.
However, the right side is almost simple and you will be very happy that you saved it for last.

I think if I would have done the right side first, I wouldn't have had the patience to put the left side back together in the same day.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Op, If you don't want to spend a Ton of Money you Better Stay away from Here! No just split it up some ,get your uprev first and then after you get that set up get your headers and B-pipes later,than your Borla and reso later down the line. I did my uprev and B-pipes first and than my Headers later . No worries about running lean or rich because as soon as you put the JBA'a on you send off a log to get a tune.Cajun is the Way To Go.

·
Vendor
7,921 Posts
Magnaflow manifolds are $900 each and suck! I have had several customers end up in failure using those things only to end up with longtubes the second time around...BEWARE!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Soooo.....

Having done this myself I don't think I'd agree that it is the hardest thing I've ever done on a car, but it is a job and you only want to do it once. That goes for whether you are paying someone to do it or doing it yourself....

Here is the advice part. Contact Jeff at Cajun and get the whole thing from him. Don't mess around with something that you think is going to save you $500 only to cost you a ton more than that when it fails. You'll have to call around to find an installer. Not sure of the NJ emissions laws but you may have some issues finding someone since the exhaust manifold is also the primary cat making it illegal to remove. (Then you really have to question if you want someone who is willing to violate federal law working on your truck)

If you do decide to try it yourself there are some great step by step instructions on this site. Just do a search. In addition, I called Cajun and Jeff spent 30 minutes on the phone walking me through the tricky parts of the job. It is really all about the right tools and a little patience.

·
Premium Member
75,544 Posts
My 04 stock exhaust fell off a long time ago and I never looked back.

I'm about to do the headers, catted B's which will mate nicely to my Nismo Catback already in place.

I also went for uprev... May as well improve things and add some smiles per gallon. :cheers:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Monmouth County. I would travel for a quality install. The 4 muffler shops I have called so far won't do the job.

·
Vendor
7,921 Posts
My 04 stock exhaust fell off a long time ago and I never looked back.

I'm about to do the headers, catted B's which will mate nicely to my Nismo Catback already in place.

I also went for uprev... May as well improve things and add some smiles per gallon. :cheers:
That Nismo will be stupid loud. Bad thing is no room for resonators the way it's built.

·
Premium Member
92,554 Posts
That Nismo will be stupid loud. Bad thing is no room for resonators the way it's built.
You say this as if it's a bad thing... :rofl:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Knowing I'm going to have to do this someday gives me heart palpitations. Being in NJ makes them worse. subbing to see how this shakes out.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts