Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the past few weeks I have heard what sounded like an exhaust leak. It made a sputtering air sound only at startup and when driving, not at idle. I narrowed it down to be in front of my B&B exhaust. After taking it in to the dealership today, they called and tell me my passenger side manifold is cracked. They also say that they have never had this problem with a Titan, and therefore have to order the manifold. So it will go back in next week to have it fixed under warranty. What do you guys think may have caused this to happen? I thought may be a bad batch of metal. I don't beat on my truck, I just tow a boat a few times a year.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
There has been other members who have cracked theirs as well on here. I have seen about 3 or 4 posts on this before.

·
Registered
78 Posts
The manifold has a lot of issues. I'm surprised fewer people end up with a failure than I would have expected. During high temp durability testing of the engine, the manifold would often have to be replaced from temp induced fatigue and vibration.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I'm actually getting a sound, which I also believed to be an exhaust leak, lately and thinking it's the manifold. I never noticed it until one day I was driving with the windows down close to a retaining wall and heard a sound that sounded like I was driving a diesel. Taking it in this weekend and wait to hear what they say. Is there an issue with driving it too much with the manifold cracked\damaged?

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
The manifold flange only extends to the front 3 cylinders on each side,the 7 and 8 cyl exhaust ports are bolted directly to the heads.For some unknown reason the flange is actually cut about 1/4 inch after machining eliminating the support of the rear cylinders.The manifolds are cracking from the tubes of these cylinders probably from the stress of engine torque,and heat from the front cat.
Ask your dealer to show you your manifold when it gets replaced

·
Registered
152 Posts
Took mine in for the trailor harness recall. I too had the leak. Told them about the noise and thanks to my Titan Talk buddies, told them to look at the manifold. He just called back and says, yep, I have a crack. He will have to order a new one.

·
Super Moderator
36,626 Posts
I had cracks in both sides on mine. replaced about 6,000 ago.
no problems after that (so far). But the dealer said that this is very common in Titans.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts