Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my titan is a 2006 with 150k on it. My factory maniflds cracked 2 years ago - and i replaced them pacesetters. Yes now i know the pace setters and junk now, but at the time they were much cheaper then stock...

my question is this, what is my best bet if i want to keep cat's so i can pass emissions test, and i don't want to dump money into uprev with the high milage and go with headers. Looking for the cheapest manifolds with cat's i can get that that aren't junk like the pacesetter's. Does anyone have any recomendations?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
141,094 Posts
Where are you? New York? California?

·
Registered
284 Posts
search button is your friend on this one, but ill summarize it quick

JBA Long Tubes + Cajun B pipes + uPrev = best money spent

remember, this setup might be a little more than you paid for the pacesetters, but this setup won't fail.

·
Vendor
7,921 Posts
All stock or aftermarket manifolds are JUNK imo and will fail again. Your cheapest and best fix for the issue is the Cajun stage 1. Cajun Bpipes | shreveport, LA 71129. Do your research before you spend a dime or it could cost you more in the long run. Manifold design is the issue so moving the cats downstream some is the ticket...

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
my inspection guy tells me - pretty shortly PA will not onlu need to check the code - they will need to do a visual inspection and verify every vehicle that came from the factory with cats - has cats. so the uprev, may get me thru this year, but not a good long term investment.

that is why i was going to go with stock or aftermarket manifold/ with cat replacement

·
Registered
456 Posts
There is no code with uprev, all uprev is is a computer program that tells your ECU the correct paremeters to run.Joe at cajun makes the tuning easy,plug a cable into your dash drive it like you stole it and send a few emails and you're done. My catless resonated B-pipes look like 2 big shiny cats under my truck lol. If they don't do inspections now I would get the cajun set up, you'll get better mileage,way better performance, and you won't have to fix it again.

·
Premium Member
75,497 Posts
Have you tested all of the aftermarket manifolds available and determined this to be fact?
FYI IMO means "In my opinion".

He didn't state it was "fact".

Any other additions to this or did you just feel like pissing on one of our best supporting vendors?

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
It's entirely possible that there are some factory and aftermarket manifolds which will last a long time, not crack under normal use, and are worth the price you pay, while still being "a deal." It sure is. But, the trouble is, that is the exception rather than the rule, based on reports here and on other internet forums, and from several local Nissan dealers in my area who have used factory and aftermarket OEM-style exhaust manifolds. I'm confident my research doesn't exclude a lot of successes with the OEM-style manifolds, but maybe my part of the country is particularly prone to cracking (southeastern US) but then again, I doubt that, too, based on climate and extreme temps.

So, you are faced with the choice to replace with aftermarket, which has already been demonstrated to be a risky venture, or replace with OEM, which will likely last another 60-90k miles, but won't be remotely cost effective. Or you can replace with headers and deal with the issues one must when doing that.

If we were talking about something easy to change out, like brake pads, or radiator hoses, I'd be inclined to say it's worth the risk. But every time you have to go back in and replace these, you're looking at $800-1k in labor, or at least a whole day or maybe a whole weekend of your own time doing it. The choice is yours. But know the risks and play the odds accordingly.

Reactions: nightowl

·
Registered
21,015 Posts
my inspection guy tells me - pretty shortly PA will not onlu need to check the code - they will need to do a visual inspection and verify every vehicle that came from the factory with cats - has cats. so the uprev, may get me thru this year, but not a good long term investment.

that is why i was going to go with stock or aftermarket manifold/ with cat replacement
From another person from Pennsyltucky, they mean A cat. As in secondaries or primaries. And no code. I just called my uncle who runs an inspection shop in Cogan Station Lycoming county, and he said the rule is any cats.

If ya want it to last, listen to nightowl. Uprev is worth every cent. And the JBAs will be a one time deal.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts

You keep cats with JBA LTs. Your secondaries become the primaries. So you will pass visual, sniffer, and OBD2 inspections. Plus not having to do them a third time.

Win, win, win, win.

Call Cajun. Do nothing else. This is a solved issue.

·
Vendor
7,921 Posts
Have you tested all of the aftermarket manifolds available and determined this to be fact?
No I have not tested any aftermarket manifolds. My customers do that for me and when they fail they call me for the Cajun Stage 1 package. Its a known fact that these are a poor design and way too labor intensive to install. This is a job the customer only wants to do once or have to pay for once. The Magnaflow manifolds are $850 each and are by far the best quality from a well known company. I have had a few customers that went that way and got any where from 6months to a year out of those before cat failure. He has already replaced with PS once and back to square one again. :(

I have around 20 Cajun Stage 1 packages in Pa with not one complaining of failing the OBD checks.

·
Premium Member
75,497 Posts
No I have not tested any aftermarket manifolds. My customers do that for me and when they fail they call me for the Cajun Stage 1 package. Its a known fact that these are a poor design and way too labor intensive to install. This is a job the customer only wants to do once or have to pay for once. The Magnaflow manifolds are $850 each and are by far the best quality from a well known company. I have had a few customers that went that way and got any where from 6months to a year out of those before cat failure.

I have around 20 Cajun Stage 1 packages in Pa with not one complaining of failing the OBD checks.
Going to be 21 soon :cheers:

·
Super Moderator
37,146 Posts
Care to name any that you think are good, because I bet you can't. I have seen my share and I agree with nightowl

Ohh ... and I have 120,000+ miles on my JBA's without a crack or issue.

·
Registered
21,015 Posts
Can someone recommend a good shop for installation of the Cajun Stage 1 package in Las Vegas, NV area.
At home with some buddies for the low low cost of a BBQ and beer :D

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
No I have not tested any aftermarket manifolds. My customers do that for me and when they fail they call me for the Cajun Stage 1 package.
The majority of your customers are those that have had the failed OEM manifolds. Not those that have put on an aftermarket manifold and then came to you after a second set.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts