Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Titan has been running fine. I hadn't noticed and issues until this morning. When I went to start it, it would turn over, but wouldn't start. I've read through a few threads, and here's what I've tried so far:
tried jumping it off another vehicle, turns over, no start
checked for codes using cipher, no codes
swapped ecm and fog lamp relays, turns over, no start
added 2 gallons of gas (fuel light was on), turns over, no start.

From what I've read, it could be the camshaft or crankshaft position sensors, but it seems like most people that had those issues also had codes.

Seems like it could also be a fuel pump issue. I'm not sure what to do next. Any ideas?

·
Registered
21,015 Posts
It would mean it's not getting fuel, soooo...

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So after some more searching the forums this morning, I came across this thread and decided I needed to hit the fuel tank with a rubber mallet. http://www.titantalk.com/forums/titan-general-discussion/290346-she-wont-start.html
Before I hit it with the mallet, I figured I'd try to start it just for kicks and it fired right up. I probably tried to start it 20 or 30 times yesterday with nothing. Now after sitting for another 24 hours, it starts up fine.

·
Premium Member
141,094 Posts
Fuel pump. Had a F250 work truck did the same thing. No codes.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I tried that entire day, and the truck would never fire up. No codes. I swapped ipdm relays and batteries, but still the same, turned over fine, but no start. The next morning I went out, and it fired right up. I didn't drive it for the next week, but I tried to start it every morning and evening, and it fired up every time. I went ahead and replaced the fuel pump based on what I read in this thread. http://www.titantalk.com/forums/titan-general-discussion/290346-she-wont-start-2.html#post6050954

Everything worked great for 2.5 months until one day last week. It took me three tries to get it started, but I wrote it off as a fluke. Today when I was leaving work, it would turn over, but wouldn't start. I swapped ipdm relays, but it didn't help.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Could be a bad cell in the battery. I had that happen to me. It wouldn't start with a jump but as soon as I got a new battery it started.It would just sit there and crank and test right on the meter.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
It was the fuel pump again. The airtex e8595m I put in only lasted 2.5 months. I had to put another one in because it was the only pump I could find in town. I wish I could have found a better pump, but I couldn't get anything else until at least Tuesday. I'm seriously considering buying a better pump and keeping it on standby when I need it in a couple of months. The airtex has a lifetime warranty, but replacing it is a pain. I pulled the bed this time, but I still had to drop the tank to get the fuel pump out. Pulling the bed definitely made it easier. I think you may be able to get the pump out without dropping the tank on a king cab but not on a crew cab. Bed was pretty easy to get off. 4 bolts, 2 brake light harnesses, in bed power plug harness, hose connected to evap canisters, fuel filler hose, and whatever the little hose is beside the fuel filler. There were 5 of us that lifted it. The way it curves under the cab and having to lift it all the way over the tires made a little tougher. I'd probably pull the rear tires off if I only had 3 people to lift it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Mine cranks, at what seems to be a good RPM, but won't hit a lick. Throw the battery charger on it at the jump start setting, and it fires right up. It is a new battery, but it's not getting enough cranking rpm speed. Do bad sensors act like this? I'm thinking the starter might be dragging a bit, but I don't want to throw money at it guessing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mine cranks, at what seems to be a good RPM, but won't hit a lick. Throw the battery charger on it at the jump start setting, and it fires right up. It is a new battery, but it's not getting enough cranking rpm speed. Do bad sensors act like this? I'm thinking the starter might be dragging a bit, but I don't want to throw money at it guessing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Did you find the answer to this. I am loosing my mind over it. Same exact issue. Although I have thrown a bundle at it now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Titan has been running fine. I hadn't noticed and issues until this morning. When I went to start it, it would turn over, but wouldn't start. I've read through a few threads, and here's what I've tried so far:
tried jumping it off another vehicle, turns over, no start
checked for codes using cipher, no codes
swapped ecm and fog lamp relays, turns over, no start
added 2 gallons of gas (fuel light was on), turns over, no start.

From what I've read, it could be the camshaft or crankshaft position sensors, but it seems like most people that had those issues also had codes.

Seems like it could also be a fuel pump issue. I'm not sure what to do next. Any ideas?
I had the same issue with my 2005 kc not starting and I originally thought it was the fuel pump. After having it tested numerous times and coming back as good I thought perhaps it had something to do with my aftermarket remote starter. It wasn't that either. I believe it is likely the key or chip reader as the keys have chips in them. Also look to see if the security light is on when it won't start. (Key inside a vehicle symbol) my truck will start if I wait approximately 10 min after it won't start initially or start it with my remote starter. I only have one key so I can't try testing it with another key.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I’ve replaced my...
Fuel pump
Cam sensor
New battery
Ipdm
BCU

still nothing. but I can always still start it with a boost from my van. wtf! I’m so fed up with this issue. I feel like burning it!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’ve replaced my...
Fuel pump
Cam sensor
New battery
Ipdm
BCU

still nothing. but I can always still start it with a boost from my van. wtf! I’m so fed up with this issue. I feel like burning it!
Are there any lights coming on? Are there any codes coming up? Have you tried pulling the battery from your van and hooking it up to the truck to see if it will start off the battery instead of a boost?

·
Registered
3 Posts
No lights. No check engine. Had it to the dealer twice! $650 Later. No answers.
You could have what is called voltage drop. This means that the wire between the battery and starter is developing high resistance for some reason, and is not allowing sufficient amps to get to the starter. You could also have a starter problem.
If you really want to figure this out yourself, you should go out and get a cheap multimeter. Basically, you should see 12.65 volts with the car off, and over 14 volts with the car running and no loads turned on. You should also watch the multimeter while someone else cranks the car and see that the voltage doesn't drop below about 10 volts while cranking. If those things are OK, do a voltage drop test. Connect the red lead to the battery positive, and the black lead to the opposite end of the cable going to the starter and iirc you should not see anything larger than about 0.7 volts.

Check your battery connections and make sure all leads, ground wires, and terminal connections are clean and tight. Use a file and/or wire brush on the battery connections and perhaps some contact cleaner on them. If it's a side post connection on your battery there is a small chance it could have developed a fault.

First thing I would try is to disconnect the ground terminal (negative - ) from the battery and use a booster cable from your negative terminal on the battery to the frame of the vehicle. This will test to see if it's your cable causing the issue or not. I would also try using the battery from your van just to see. Hope this helps, I'm sure you're getting pretty frustrated by now.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I’ve replaced my...
Fuel pump
Cam sensor
New battery
Ipdm
BCU

Just curious, what battery do you have in it? What is the CCA rating?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts