Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wasn't really sure where to post this at so General Discussion seemed good enough.
So I slid the entire driver side of my truck down tree on December 2nd. Took it into the body shop the next day, Insurance came out estimated it and gave them the check. They immediately cashed the check. Told them that I wanted Fenders and bedsides from Mcniel racing, they said No Problem and they would get started right away. Told me 27 Dec they would be complete. So thats the background.
Its now the 30th of January and still no T back in my driveway. I have had to pay for my own rental for 3 weeks now, finally got them to start paying it last week. Now they are telling me that its gonna be 4K more than the insurance check and they arent going to write a supplement to insurance for the additional stuff they have found. Any one tell me what my options are, or has anyone dealt with anything like this before?
Any help would be awesome.
Chris

·
Registered
777 Posts
I deal with insurance all the time, they better write a suppliment for the parts or they could end up in a big lawsuit. However if the parts you ordered were more than the OEM parts you will probably be on the hook for everything because that is against policy.

Reactions: [email protected]

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats the funny thing man, Nissan wanted $978 for the bed skin, $321for the fender, I got both bedsides and both fenders shipped from mcniel for $900. So there shouldnt be any issues there. Should I call a lawyer you think?

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
Thats the funny thing man, Nissan wanted $978 for the bed skin, $321for the fender, I got both bedsides and both fenders shipped from mcniel for $900. So there shouldnt be any issues there. Should I call a lawyer you think?
Its not about it being cheaper, its about you not using what is recommended from the Dealer that is the problem, and the Insurance doesn't allow that.

I know this because when my mom hit a pole in a parking lot, i wanted them to put the glass on, they said they could, but i would have to pay for the glass myself and they could install it, they said insurance is not allowed to cover it.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Sucks man, I hate that petty shiet...I'd call your Insurance first and sick them on 'em. Explain to them the costs involved and the shops willingness, then shady behavior. If Insurance does nada, then call a lawyer...or at least threaten it anyway.

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
call your insurance company and let them know whats going on. They have lawyers that are supposed to back you in these situations. Every state is different, some insurances will allow you to get aftermerket stuff because it saves them money. Its no different then not getting OEM parts, and getting cheap nockoffs that are the same as OEM, just not built as well or they have a bad fit.

Tell the shop you want copies of everything they have done, get that info, then go down and tell them you need to take pics of everything. Make sure what they say was done has been done. Sometimes shops will do more damage to the vehicle to get paid more money also. Your insurance company should have taken pics when they were there, get them involved as much as possible. They want to cover their asses, especialy if you have been a good customer to them. If the shop found more issues that the accident caused, then they need to bill the insurance for it, not you. Good luck.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats for the help guys.... Called the insurance company. Whatever parts I want, I can get on their cost. As long as one individual part doesnt cost more than what they estimated for the same part, so i am good on their end. Additionally they said as long as the original estimate from the shop was within the estimate the insurance gave me, then they have to cover it, although they did tell me to enlist legal help... Funny part of all that is I am pretty sure I can use just 2 words and make all the legal parts go away, I'm a navy recruiter and have realized in the last 7 years of service the "Navy Legal" strikes fear into the heart of any business that I am dealing with. Even though they really can't do a whole lot. Ill update you guys tommorow after I talk to the shop. Thanks for everything

·
Registered
267 Posts
Not good man. I'd definitely seek some help. Keep us updated.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Not writing a supplement for 4K in additional labor and parts is really shady. Especially with the bodyshop taking that long to write a supplement to begin with. Normally, a shop needs to have a teardown and supplement written with-in 48 hours and reported back to insurance. Something is definantly wrong. Go through the insurance company. Have them figure it out.

How much was the repair bill? Is it possible that your truck is a total loss? From the information I gather on here, it looks as though the original estimate the insurance company wrote was almost borderline total loss. The shop cashed your check, then found an additional 4K worth of damage that they knew the insurance wouldn't cover. Shop screwed up, cashed the check, and can't return the money. So, they are sticking it to you.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: Crappy Body Shop ***UPDATE***

T is back in the driveway, the supplement got submitted today, yet they made me pay the money to get it back until they get the supplement check. So I'm not going to say what I did in public forum but they "got" the 4k they wanted. Not saying that its gonna be available when they go to get it but they did get something that says 4k on it. This was by lawyers advice. He is currently going to photograph the messed up job they did along with taking all the bills they gave me and compile the suit. Insurance company is aware of what transpired and is actually sending the supplement check to me as well as report them to the BBB. Got pretty fed up with dealing with the BS, so all that matters right now is that the T is back in my driveway.

Positive side note: The Perrys Fab N Fiber fenders and bedsides fit like a glove. As soon as I figure out how to upload the pics I will and take better ones tommorow in the light the ones im going to put up tonight are in the dark with a crappy nikon camera, but you can get the idea.

Thanks for everyones advice!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Glad you got it back and smart move with the $4k. Hopefully you are saving someone else from going through this same thing.

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
its nice to see something good came out of it. Do you have pics?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts