1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone -

04 crew

Lately (past two months) i am driving along and i go to step on
the brakes, and the brake light illuminates on the dash, along with the VDC and the tow mode lights - while pressing on the brake, it feels like
i am stepping on broken glass and i get this wierd phaser sound coming
from under the dash.

I know it sounds weird but it does sound like the computer in the
truck is going out of phase....

I can still stop the truck, while feeling like i am stepping on glass,
and when i come to a complete stop. I shut the truck off and start it
up again, seems to run fine for a while, it might happen again, might not.

i've taken it to the dealership and they have placed a computer
on it, but there is nothing showing up....

i've had the brake jutter problem corrected and the BDC replaced (to take care of the trailer light wiring harness failure) but since the change over
the phaser sound problem is happening more and more often.

Has anyone had this issue before???

thanks
tony

·
Registered
9 Posts
Have you heard anything from anyone about this problem yet?
I have an '04 king cab Titan, it has app 40,000 miles on it and this happened to me one time. I thought it might have something to do with the VDC so I shut it off, but when I started the truck up again the problem was gone. I have not had this happen again in the truck.

However; My wife drives an '04 Armada and hers has 80,000 miles on it. A few weeks after my issue, hers had the same exact thing occur and hers has reoccurred several times since then.

Mine I first thought was due to being rearended by an uninsured motorist in a Chevy Impala. :hellno: He only dented and bent my rear bumber a little and bent the wiriring harness arm, but his whole front end was gone, cracked headlight and radiator was leaking.

When it happened to the Armada, I knew this was not the case.

The symptoms are the brake light goes on and sounds like the engine or part of it is going to fall out the bottom of the truck. and makes this wierd spring noise and maybe a mixed in phazer there. :explode: It also feels like the brakes will not work, but they do but you have to push pedal through the floor it feels like.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Skydive05 said:
Have you heard anything from anyone about this problem yet?
I have an '04 king cab Titan, it has app 40,000 miles on it and this happened to me one time. I thought it might have something to do with the VDC so I shut it off, but when I started the truck up again the problem was gone. I have not had this happen again in the truck.

However; My wife drives an '04 Armada and hers has 80,000 miles on it. A few weeks after my issue, hers had the same exact thing occur and hers has reoccurred several times since then.

Mine I first thought was due to being rearended by an uninsured motorist in a Chevy Impala. :hellno: He only dented and bent my rear bumber a little and bent the wiriring harness arm, but his whole front end was gone, cracked headlight and radiator was leaking.

When it happened to the Armada, I knew this was not the case.

The symptoms are the brake light goes on and sounds like the engine or part of it is going to fall out the bottom of the truck. and makes this wierd spring noise and maybe a mixed in phazer there. :explode: It also feels like the brakes will not work, but they do but you have to push pedal through the floor it feels like.

OMG - so i am not the only one that this is happening to!!!

The truck is at the local stealership as we speak....

tech called me and said the problem was the antilock
was shutting off and thats what that phaser sound
is, and the real cause is the brake piston is cracked and
leaking brake fluid.... i'm not sure if i believe him
or not, i've never added brake fluid nor has it been mentioned
in ANY of the jiffy lube, mobile, dealership or various third
party oil change joints that i frequent.

so here is where we stand...

truck is in the shop again, 5th time for brake work.

nissan consumer affairs says the local rep will call me by the
end of the day today. (still waiting 5:01pm local time)

truck has a repair tag on it for ~3500.00 to fix the brakes
again, and my lemon law laywer is waiting to pounce on
this issue.

as a side note - the service advisor explained to me the warranty
for the brake judder issue is that it is 3 years or unlimited miles from the
date the truck went into service - NOT the date of the final repair
to correct the issue....

so it took them 2.5 years to provide the brake parts, but the warranty
is only good for 3 years.... cmon now, something seems quite weird
about the 3 years and UNLIMITED milage.....

more as it unfolds

take care
tony

·
Registered
9 Posts
well I find a lot of that very hard to believe, seeing how both of my vehicles manufactured in '04 are having the same exact problem as yours.

So does that mean that both of mine developed the exact same antilock problem and I have a brake fluid leak.

WOW ..... the day I first nooticed it in my truck, the first thing I looked at was the master cylinder and it was FULL. Also it has not reoccured on my TRUCK yet, but is continuing to reoccur on the Armada.

Are you telling me they are going to charge you $3500 to fix your brake issue, or that is what you have paid so far.

If you ask me they need to take care of US early adopters and make us HAPPY. Just imagine if we all start complaining. I love my TRUCK, but I can not have my wife driving in something where the brakes work MOST of the time.

I have not had it in the SHOP yet cuz it is SOOO sporadic.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey check out this Posting, they seem to have found the problem and there is a TSB about the issue:

titantalk.com/forums/titan-problems-dealer-service/39084-brake-issues-not-judder.html?highlight=brake+light

Here is the link they posted in that post for the TSB:

nissanhelp.com/Ownership/Bulletins/Nissan/2006/NTB06-040.htm

Since I do not have over 15 posts it will not let me post the full URLs, just put the http and the www in front.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
excellent posts...

here we are on wednseday - no call back from nissan

close of business of next day promise seems to be slipping away....

the 3500.00 estimate was just for this trip into the shop,
new pads all the way around, new caliper, new piston and a ton of labor

more as it comes in

take care
tony

·
Registered
104 Posts
Same thing has happened to me three times now 05 le 4x2 bt. If you stop the truck and turn it off it goes back to normal I am waiting to take it to the dealer next week to get it fixed I hope. That is one crazy noise:deathsent

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just got off the phone with the regional rep...

called him on friday, left voice mail, called again on monday,
left voice mail, called early this am, and actually got a voice this morning.

he claims that he is waiting for information from the dealership,
and that it should be in today... he will call me back this afternoon.

so far, two weeks sitting at the dealership and i've talked
to the voicemail machine more than actual live people.

but my lemon law lawyer is getting his stuff ready.

more info as it comes available

take care
tony

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
go figure -

nissan says "no way" its your problem.

has anyone gone through this lemon law routine before???

thanks
tony

·
Registered
9 Posts
Never messed with lemon law yet, but if I get the same run around that you did when I take mine in I will be joining you.
Unfortunately at this point it has not happened again in the Titan or lately in the Armada either.
I told the wife when it happens again to drive carefully to the dealership without turning the vehicle off and have them read the computer then.
I have 2 vehicles that I will need to get this done on and if they tell me its my problem I am going to be less that enthusiastic. I love my truck, but this may be a deal breaker.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Mr. Mike,

If you look at my Post from 9/12 there are a few URLs that you can post into your browser and takes you to a TSB on the issue. Appearantly the problem is in the programming for the ABS. The computer needs to be reprogrammed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts