Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a very creeky dash around the steering wheel and radio center section? I am getting ready to tear into it to look around.

Sounds like one of the "Boys" left a BC Powder wrapper in the heater/AC duct work or something. :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
It seems this thread is dead, but its the only one i've been able to find that explains my problem - and it doesn't really have an answer.

It's tough finding answers to squeaks, squeeks, rattles, dings, creaks, creeks, pings etc...

anyway - i'm noticing a definite creek (not rattle) above my instruments, and on the hump that heads back towards the windshield. i hear it going very slowly over any bumps - and when i press on the area. has anyone been able to successfully cure this?

·
Registered
265 Posts
I had some rattles in the left side of the dash. I took out the glove compartment and put foam pieces around many wire looms. Still had the rattle. Finally found it was coming from where the plastic trim on the passenger side A-pillar meets the dash. I cut some thin foam strips and poked them down between the dash and the A-pillar trim. No more rattle from that area.
But I do have creeking noises from the instrument cluster and radio area.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Creaky dash is standard with all trim levels.
Was it "The Graduate" where the catch phrase was "The future is plastics"?

·
Registered
21 Posts
So this may be common knowledge among some other owners - and I apologize if its been talked about already...

but I did some exploring today-- and between old posts and me poking around my truck it seems the location of the problem is the seal between the dash and the clear plastic for the gauges.

Haven't attempted a solution to this yet but i'm thinking of either spraying some silicone along it, or cracking it open and lining it with something.

Other thought i had was super-glueing the dash to the clear plastic - it seems when i hold it tight it doesn't creek... anybody have any suggestions?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I've noticed the creeking a-lot more now that its gotten cold out. After the truck heats up it does'nt seem as bad but I have a rattle in my passenger door that driving me nuts. It sounds as if the door is'nt latched but thats not the case?? Anyone run across this one??

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I found and fixed my squeak last night!!!!

My vin plate has a little piece of the stud still from one of the pop rivits used to attach it to the dash. This little stud rubs agains the windshield and causes one of my rubbing / squeaking noises. I took a small piece of foam and shoved it down between the windshield and the pop rivit stud and WOLA! squeak has been eradicated!

Another source of dash squeaks is the stupid defrost vent cover where the windshield meets the dash. I've taken the stupid thing out and lined it with felt tape and foam about 5 times now and I finally have killed that squeak / rattle.

My last rattle came from the belt buckles in the back seat hitting one another from the middle seat and the right side seat. I pulled the middle seat buckle out of the harness that holds the 2 together and no more rattle!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Who has noticed a "Waterfall effect" when driving in the rain around the passenger leg area? It's pretty loud on mine, and it's kinda like a river sounding water flow.... I almost expect to see a gush of water burst into the cabin, but have never found any evidence of water....

·
Banned
2,818 Posts
IQ9 said:
What about regular BBQ chips?
I tried them but the rattle persisted but with the KC they are much happier it seems. Maybe try some Sour Cream and Onion just for the hell of it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
AggieLand_Titan said:
My bezel around the speedomoter area squeaks from time to time. I have been debating on taking it in.

Thats what I had.

Soaked a paper towel with silicone spray and wiped down the interface between the clear plastic and bezel -- no more squeak.

·
Registered
184 Posts
jschatz said:
So this may be common knowledge among some other owners - and I apologize if its been talked about already...

but I did some exploring today-- and between old posts and me poking around my truck it seems the location of the problem is the seal between the dash and the clear plastic for the gauges.

Haven't attempted a solution to this yet but I'm thinking of either spraying some silicone along it, or cracking it open and lining it with something.

Other thought i had was super-gluing the dash to the clear plastic - it seems when i hold it tight it doesn't creek... anybody have any suggestions?
My 06 Titan started this type of creaking sound around the instruments about a week after I got it, so I began moving in and out the aft most trim piece above the gages, and within a few minutes it stopped and hasn't returned. Like a molding tit on the plastic was touching the plastic gauge face and it found clearance from the moving back and forth. It's clearly an interference fit problem between the two. Just happy it stopped.

STRAY AWAY FROM THE THOUGHT OF SUPER GLUE! Super Glue and any clear plastics will haze from just the fumes of strong super glue and with the actual application of super glue will cause sever deterioration of the plastic gauges face and will streak and make it very brittle. Our manufacture cautions against getting any types of silicone, thread lockers, or glues of cryo type any where near acrylic windshields as crazing, cracking, and brittling of the plastic will sure occur then or in the near future with stress or UV deterioration.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts