Nissan Titan Forum banner
41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Great post!

I agree with the above posts, with a diesel, torque is everything!

I believe the first maker to put a 1/2 ton diesel pickup on the market is going to have a runaway hit on their hands. Hope Nissan scores 1st!

-Lab

·
Registered
367 Posts
Personally I think this sounds awesome. On the flip side this will probably be the death of the Titan unless the critics fall in love with it. Truck buyers will see 200hp and more importantly 4 cylinder and completely write this truck off. They’ll probably think the Titan is an Isuzu Pup or something. You can already see the stupid comments about the Titan at the bottom of that page and this with a 305hp V8.

·
Registered
9,571 Posts
A Cummins diesel in a Titan Pickup. Yeap, thats about my wildest dreams! Id buy one in a heartbeat. Probably get 12k lbs of towing, and get 25mpg doing it, and the engine would last 300k-400k miles.

Like other folks said, HP is for gassers. Its nice and all, but trucks need torque.

·
Banned
1,550 Posts
A Cummins diesel in a Titan Pickup. Yeap, thats about my wildest dreams! Id buy one in a heartbeat. Probably get 12k lbs of towing, and get 25mpg doing it, and the engine would last 300k-400k miles.

Like other folks said, HP is for gassers. Its nice and all, but trucks need torque.

Doubt you'd get 25 mpg towing.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Only reason I liked titan are for the engine. Not the body or interior imo not the best looking truck. So why the hell would they do it to a titan!!!!!???
You do realize that our torque curve is why our trucks are so quick from a start and also a big part of what makes it fun to drive, right? I think they will still offer the big V8 gas engine (possibly the vk56vd to compete with the 6.2L from Ford and GM), but also that 2.8L TDI to fill the gap and hopefully the VQ40 as a base engine. It would be a great engine for people who tow and use it as a daily driver.

I don't think you'd see 25mpg towing either, but probably mid to upper teens. I get about 11 to 13 towing right now.

·
Premium Member
48,253 Posts
Cummins Diesel Titan? Torque over 350 and MPG over 25? Yeah I would do it, no doubt.

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
Very roughly speaking, it seems most smaller Diesels have about twice the TQ as they are rated HP. Larger Diesels are about 3+ Times the TQ as they are HP rated. So, that 325 HP Diesel in a Pickup will have 650-700 lb/ft of TQ. But in a larger truck, a heavier Diesel, rated at 325 HP has about 1,000 lb/ft+ of TQ.

BTW, I raced a Tandem Axle Peterbilt Tractor at the track twice. His axles were chained up tight! And, He smoked me like nobodies business!

·
Premium Member
17,240 Posts
Horsepower of a rotary engine is a calculated number based on torque, RPM and a constant defining the definition of the horsepower unit.

Horsepower = Torque (ft-lbs) x RPM / 5252

So if HP is low and Torque is high, RPM must be low. Which is why the big rigs have 18 speed transmissions and limp uphill at low speeds.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
+1 on torque in diesels. It's all about torque, not HP. I've had trucks on both ends of the spectrum, a little POS Isuzu with their marine-sourced diesel in it, and my Dodge 3500 Cummins.

Someone above mentioned Vail - I had my 7,000# travel trailer and was doing a respectable 35 up that hill in the Titan with my foot to the mat. Had to slow down to 25 and wait to pass a semi, and then could NOT get the speed back again. Same hill with the 3500 - right back up to 50. Way less HP, way more torque.

Couple of other notes:
It'll be interesting to see the rev range with this engine, and what they decide to put behind it for a tranny. An automatic? How many gears? AND will it be STRONG enough? They just can't make the mistake Dodge made with the early automatics. I bought a stickshift 3500 for that reason, and I could have won races with it - it would chirp the tires in 3rd - but I just couldn't change gears fast enough. Truck trannies kinda don't like to be slam-shifted. I would be ahead and then run out of revs and have to shift...

Like the way that engine fits the bay in the Titan, looks easy to work on, and enough airflow for good cooling.

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
I'm pretty sure the new 7 Speed Automatic is heavier duty than the 5 speed. Currently used in Infinity? But, it may not be the right one for the Diesel...

·
Premium Member
17,240 Posts
+1 on torque in diesels. It's all about torque, not HP. I've had trucks on both ends of the spectrum, a little POS Isuzu with their marine-sourced diesel in it, and my Dodge 3500 Cummins.

Someone above mentioned Vail - I had my 7,000# travel trailer and was doing a respectable 35 up that hill in the Titan with my foot to the mat. Had to slow down to 25 and wait to pass a semi, and then could NOT get the speed back again. Same hill with the 3500 - right back up to 50. Way less HP, way more torque.
Acceleration is directly proportional to Horsepower.

As noted above, Horsepower is directly proportional to the product of torque and engine RPM.

People keep talking about Horsepower and Torque as if they are two separate unrelated things. They are not. Look at this dyno and note that that Horsepower and Torque lines intersect at 5252 RPM. That is because the dyno measures torque and calculates horsepower from the measured torque. HP = Torque x RPM / 5252

·
Registered
768 Posts
So if HP is low and Torque is high, RPM must be low. Which is why the big rigs have 18 speed transmissions and limp uphill at low speeds.
I have driven big arse diesels, and I drive a 43K pound line truck with a turbodiesel I-6 and 6AT in it.

Let me tell you, they are SLOW going uphill because they are hauling enormous amounts of weight. The massive torque on a flat road can overcome the weight easily. But when going uphill, 70K pounds will drag down any machine. Even at 1000 ft/lbs, that is only 4 times more torque than my daily driver that weighs 1/23 of a big rig. They are just way over-burdened...

A diesel Titan would gain serious red-neck cred!

·
Registered
233 Posts
my dads diesel cummuns does not change its gas mileage when towing.
Towing increases gas consumption on anything... more weight = more work to maintain movement... maybe not as much but it definately changes it.

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
Hmm, i have a question then, my dads DD and Towing vehicle is an 07 F-350 with 380hp and 560 ft/lbs (he is stock). He tows 17,000lbs up the cuesta grade, dropping below 40mph with it pinned :p How come the numbers are so different from what you people are saying?

·
Banned
3,888 Posts
what numbers are different? hp/tq? cause we are talking about cummins, also your dad's truck is a turd, it has the 6.0 in it. serious issues with that motor

·
Banned
3,888 Posts
also yall keep comparing these big rigs to a 4cyl 1/2 ton diesel. WTF? that is like getting hit with a baseball and expecting it to feel like an apple cause they are the same diameter! how many half tons have pulled 70-80k lbs? NONE, also most of your big trucks stock are 450-550hp diesels. pulling that. my old pete was 550ci cummins motors, stock was 575hp turned it up to about 775-800 and would pull a load of cattle up 6% grade wide open all day long 132mph.

41 - 60 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.