Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been set on a banks monster exhaust system for the 2 yrs I've owned the truck, and ignored anything other suggestion. Well, last week I called up a local shop to find out if they carried it. I like to spend my money locally when it’s reasonable to do so. They told me they recommended Magnaflow exhaust. They used 3" mandrel bent (aluminized?) pipe and I had a choice of muffler length and tip, for $350. ($375 after taxes). I asked, "Why is it so much cheaper than the Banks?" and they said "Well, theirs is probably stainless steel." At that point, I mentioned the stainless steel was choice for rust resistance and longevity, and the guy replied that there shouldn't be a rust problem with their pipe either. (I dont know a lot about different metals, so I took his word for it, and just assumed that exhausts rusting out were made of a mild steel.)

I did some quick research online, and read that people were very happy with their Magnaflow exhaust systems and from what I could find, it rivaled Banks in performance. I decided that for that big of a price difference, it was my best option, as I’d have the extra cash to do other modifications. Performance first right? So the next day I get off work early enough and rush to the shop. They had it done and ready to run in about 30-45 minutes. I paid them, then went to my truck, fired it up, and was a little disappointed. I expected it to be a bit throatier than it was. I figured as the banks, it was docile at idle, and it’d impress me @ WOT. I pulled out the driveway and get going down the street. A short distance down the road I mash the throttle. Still, disappointed. I thought to myself, "Well, Its not a Banks, it’s a Magnaflow. Besides, It’ll sound better with headers! Here’s my excuse to buy headers!" It still sounds good, and is a huge improvement over the stock exhaust.

So I'm going for performance, right? Ready for the Butt Dyno results? Honestly? -Unimpressed- I couldn't tell with the exhaust. I think to myself, "The computer needs time to realize the engine can finally breathe".

A couple days and a weekend-Vegas trip later (close to 600 miles on the exhaust at this point) still unnoticeable. Monday night installed a "Helix" tbs. The following morning I take a co-worker who owns a Titan on a run so he can get an idea of the Volant/Magnaflow/TBS and I finally notice some performance. Not anything extreme, but it has finally woke up. I don’t consider this due to the TBS, just the computer finally registering everything. My performance mods came quick; Volant CAI, a week later the Magnaflow Exhaust, and a week after that with a Helix TBS, with limited mileage until the Vegas trip.

Here beings the meat of the post. Judging from my butt dyno, I still expected a bit more power than what I feel. I know its not an accurate method of testing, but consider this…

The exhaust I set out for is a cat-back system. The Magnaflow system I looked up online listed a Y-Pipe included with their package. The Banks, again, includes a Y-Pipe with their package. Of course I didn’t completely expect the Y-Pipe, as they stated they custom built the exhaust, but at the same time I did. However, what I didn’t expect was where they tied the 3” pipe into the exhaust system.

Magnaflow, Banks and others (From what I’ve been able to read, correct me if I’m wrong) Begin at the cat, and go from the 2 pipes, into the Y-Pipe and exits as 1 pipe. It then heads straight back. It has 4 more bends to go over the axle, then the final bend, exiting the side of the truck. My ‘Custom’ 3” exhaust is welded into the stock pipe, about 15” after the Y-pipe.

I know I’m picky and anal about the way my money is spent, but I feel I got screwed here. I told him my primary goal was performance. I was told this would be the way to go, and I’ll be very happy. Aside from the Magnaflow’s muffler giving less resistance than the stock, I can’t imagine how 3” pipe tied into the system where its at is helping. The exhaust is still restricted as it goes from 2-1 at the Y-Pipe, and 15” of stock pipe!

Sorry for this being so ridiculously long, but I want to give the best explanation I can so your information is accurate and I get a better response. Maybe I’m on crack here, but what do you guys think? Do I have the right to go back and ***** at them, or am I expecting too much? Maybe where they tied that 3” pipe into the system is where it really makes a difference, and anything more is just a waste of time and money?

Let me know!

Mike

·
Super Moderator
93,253 Posts
You don't have a right to go back, you received exactly what you paid for.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Something that just came to mind... I called them prior to posting this, and the guy said I'd need to talk with the fabricator and he'll tell me why he did it the way he did it. I understand the Y-Pipe would be a PITA to custom build.. maybe I can offer him a solution, since I dont think they'll sell me a Banks, Minus the $375 I already spent on this exhaust.

What I was thinking is maybe I can get them to build me a true custom dual exhaust. Use some 2.5" to 3" connecting pieces from the cats and connect the existing exhaust to the right cat, then build another custom setup for the left cat for about $350.

In the picture, I dont see any O2 sensors anywhere on the Y-Pipe, and its too dark to check now - but would that be an option? Would they have to route the 2nd pipe along w/ the first, or can it be ran straight down the left side fo the truck? I'm sure true dual would be better than what I've got now!

Going this route would also open up the oppourtunity to plug in some high-flow cats at later! Yeah I know, one step at a time!

Mike

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sammy Sandbag said:
Magnaflow's cat-back kit doesn't include a Y, only pipe from the muffler back.

The Magnaflow Y-Pipe isn't part of their kit? I thought it was.. Still, he did point out they sold a 'custom' exhaust, not a pre-built system.

Mike

·
Super Moderator
93,253 Posts
Nicely said Sammy!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Haha, Nice - I was just checkin their site too. Thanks for the clarification tho. I shoulda bought a Banks! Hey, this is still a nice sounding exhaust tho.. Maybe my butt-dyno needs some sensetivity training!

I know I've seen somewhere on the boards here that Magnaflow offers a Y-Pipe that is either FOR the Titan, or atleast FITS the Titan. I believe the price I saw was around $90. Would it be better to go that route, or true dual? I'm not worried about saving money now... Last time I take that into consideration!

Mike

·
Premium Member
6,099 Posts
BNSFMike said:
I know I've seen somewhere on the boards here that Magnaflow offers a Y-Pipe that is either FOR the Titan, or atleast FITS the Titan. I believe the price I saw was around $90. Would it be better to go that route, or true dual? I'm not worried about saving money now... Last time I take that into consideration!

Mike
They probably do make a Y-pipe, but then you're talking a completely new exhaust build. True dual? Kinda hard on a truck, the fuel tank takes up the left side. Doing it all on the right side is a lot of work and money for little to no improvement over what a two into one offers. No exhaust is going to simply "wow" you with performance gains. I spent a long time tinkering with a custom set up, and it's difficult to just tell with the butt dyno. Go with what sounds good to you. If you get a little performance boost, consider it a bonus.

Something you may consider doing is removing the secondary resonators and replacing them with some bullet mufflers. Those OE resos neck down to 1-7/8".

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sammy Sandbag said:
They probably do make a Y-pipe, but then you're talking a completely new exhaust build. True dual? Kinda hard on a truck, the fuel tank takes up the left side. Doing it all on the right side is a lot of work and money for little to no improvement over what a two into one offers. No exhaust is going to simply "wow" you with performance gains. I spent a long time tinkering with a custom set up, and it's difficult to just tell with the butt dyno. Go with what sounds good to you. If you get a little performance boost, consider it a bonus.

Something you may consider doing is removing the secondary resonators and replacing them with some bullet mufflers. Those OE resos neck down to 1-7/8".
As far as routing the exhaust system - Yeah, I understand that its a PITA. I wasn't sure, but i figured the tank and everything else would be in the way. I haven't spent enough time under the truck to look for a good exhaust route. Removing the Y-Pipe and runnin the left pipe over, then parrallel to the right seemed like probably the best setup. Looks like there'd be enough room for it, but then again maybe when actually try to squeeze another 3" pipe under it, its a whole new story. Would it be possible to run the pipes and have them cut off pre-axle? Down-turn them? I dont need to see the tips. :) I figure they route them all the way back because it just gets extremely loud, or maybe there are heat issues being under the cab? In that case, both pipes turn out and exit the side, just infront of the axle instead of behind. Has anybody come across problems doing it this way? I have a 2wd KC, so its not like I'm rock crawlin and worried about smashin my pipe up into the body.

Secondary resonators? Ah, little lost there... When I get under the truck, I see the manifold, cat, then the Y-Pipe, and so on. What exactly would I be removing? Cutting and patching sorta thing? Hell, I'd cut out the cats if I didnt' have to smog it (Cali-crap)

Mike

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thought just crossed my mind... Pre-Axle idea is probably all fine and dandy until you attempt to fit the 2nd muffler? They are a bit bulky... crap. Anybody do this successfuly?

Mike

1 - 11 of 11 Posts