Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a buddy of mine who is a Mechanical Engineer and one hell of a fabricator whipped up a light bar for me this weekend. I had a couple requirements for him. First was that it HAD to be removable. My truck is my daily driver and I have no intention of driving around with three Hella 700s and a light bar permanently attached to my truck. The second was that it had to be quickly removable/installable for last minute trips to the desert. The attached pics will show you what he came up with. Essentially what he did was remove the grill only and located four bolts which hold the front bumper to the frame rails. Using longer bolts and some rectangle bar he fab'd up a couple of bars that come straight forward and attach to some round bar that the lights are mounted on. By using the factory bolt hole locations with just some longer bolts this makes it 100% reversable. Additionally the bars fit back under the factory grill with just a little trimming of the grill although using some smaller bar stock would eliminate the need for that. The wiring is pretty straight forward and just used some disconnectable male spades to tap into a new source line pulled from the provided Hella relay. Three Hella 700FF lights fit with no issue and he even welded on tabs for mounting the lights to the bar without the need for drilling. Bear in mind the pictures below are his first pass at this and we used spare bar he had laying around the garage to do this. Total time from the start of design/fab to completed bar and wiring was about 3 hours. I've since removed and re-installed the bar about 5 times to see how long it really takes and I have it down to about 10 minutes total. He mentioned he would be quite interested in making more of these if people want one. I looked at the other bars out there and didn't really like the set up on any of them and he made exactly what I was looking for.
PS: Disregard the surface rust you see in the picutres. It's been raining cats and dogs in San Diego and we haven't had a chance to send the bar out to powder coat yet.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
Looks nice. I like how and where you fitted it!

You might consider running the wires inside the tubes for a real slick look. Grommet and Loom it through out.

·
Super Moderator
37,027 Posts
Looks a little funky to me ... Like Blue said, re run the wires, and used a quick disconnect.

·
Registered
5 Posts
just an idea, but you could run a mesh type grille with the lights recessed behind it. I built a setup like that for an 08 tacoma pre runner and it works great. from a side profile view they cant be seen, but hit the switch and its like daytime! i can try to find some pics and post em up. may be an option. how does yours mount right now?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Looks nice. I like how and where you fitted it!

You might consider running the wires inside the tubes for a real slick look. Grommet and Loom it through out.
Yes I intend to do that when I get back from my desert trip this weekend. I fully intended to do so I just ran out of time the day it got fabricated and this was a quick easy solution. Plus I wanted to have quick access to each light source wire for testing when we were finishing up. Production piece would have a rubber grommit and wires coming through pre-drilled holes near the light mounting tab.

Reactions: TitanBlue

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks a little funky to me ... Like Blue said, re run the wires, and used a quick disconnect.
Wires will get re-routed. This was a 3 hour project and at the 4 hour mark I had to leave so I didn't have a chance to drill the holes for the wires.

·
Registered
183 Posts
just a suggestion, but how about using some 8 ga flat iron that would slide under the grill instead of using the 1x2 to mount the bar to the frame rails? that way you wouldn't have to notch the grill and factory bolts would still work...
the light bar looks good...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts